News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Deinocheirus body found

Started by Gwangi, November 05, 2013, 05:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Takama

And thus another Mystery of the Mesozoic has been solved ^-^

Balaur

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well solved in part at least..a sail on an ornithomimid seems odd...makes me curious to see some skull material finally..blasted looters.

suspsy

I wish the very worst on the filthy buggers who poached the skulls. >:(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Splonkadumpocus

Could be worse; at least with things like Pelicanimimus we do know what basal ornithomimid skulls looked like.

But yes, this is arguably even worse than the Tarbosaurus from last year in that there are no additional Deinocheirus skulls to fall back on. Hopefully, the looted skulls can be tracked down and eventually studied.

Also, in the vein of trying to get Carnegie to redo their Microraptor figure's plumage, we should see if CollectA is willing to do an updated rerelease of their Deinocheirus with a sail attached. Speaking of the figure, the legs and hips on it seem to match the new fossils pretty well. I've heard rumors of new Deinocheirus finds as far back as 2007; did Anthony Beeson have access to some of the leg material, I wonder?

Jetoar

With a sail? interesting, very interesting  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Concavenator

What?!!?A sail- backed ornithomimosaur!?!?That's incredible!   :o  :o

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on November 05, 2013, 01:07:53 PM

Not to mention all of the people that have created the market for them in the first place... :-\

Simon

Actually, it appears that its not an Ornoithomimosaur but an entirely new species of herbivore ...

tyrantqueen

Shouldn't Nat Geo know better than to have an image like this in their news article?

Broken hands (and featherless...?)

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 05, 2013, 05:09:36 PM
Shouldn't Nat Geo know better than to have an image like this in their news article?

Broken hands (and featherless...?)

It's also an outdated image that does NOT match the description of the new remains...they just wanted an image of Deinocheirus for the article and didn't care about much else.

If Ornithomimus is any indication, Deinocheirus ought to have huge display feathers on its forearms... and given how big those arms were, maybe we're looking at the owner of the world's largest feathers?

Quote from: Simon on November 05, 2013, 04:47:55 PM
Actually, it appears that its not an Ornoithomimosaur but an entirely new species of herbivore ...

No, it's definitely an ornithomimosaur, just a rather odd one that went more for toughness than speed.

CityRaptor

It least it is not the old picture, I remmber from a 90's book, where it was depicted as a Carnosaur with long arms.

Chances are those are just some poor farmers. Mere henchmen...

Anyways, nice to finally have more of the Terrible Hand!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Simon

Here is Tamura's initial reconstruction:

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 05, 2013, 07:14:25 PM

Chances are those are just some poor farmers. Mere henchmen...

True. The real bad guys here are the fossil dealers paying the looters to steal for them.

Georassic

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on November 05, 2013, 01:22:40 PM

Also, in the vein of trying to get Carnegie to redo their Microraptor figure's plumage, we should see if CollectA is willing to do an updated rerelease of their Deinocheirus with a sail attached.
I have a pretty lengthy CollectA wishlist, but this is why Deinocheirus never made my cut. I can't suffer a few inaccuracies or speculations on a nice model, but aside from the arms, their Deinocheirus was a "speculasaurus."

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: Georassic on November 06, 2013, 04:35:06 AM

Also, in the vein of trying to get Carnegie to redo their Microraptor figure's plumage, we should see if CollectA is willing to do an updated rerelease of their Deinocheirus with a sail attached.
I have a pretty lengthy CollectA wishlist, but this is why Deinocheirus never made my cut. I can't suffer a few inaccuracies or speculations on a nice model, but aside from the arms, their Deinocheirus was a "speculasaurus."

Actually, it's close enough to the real thing (note the robust legs and hips) that I suspect Anthony Beeson had access to at least some of the new material while CollectA was designing it. The only real issue is the lack of a sail/hump, which may have been left out to avoid revealing it prior to the announcement of the finds.

SBell

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on November 06, 2013, 12:25:49 PM
Quote from: Georassic on November 06, 2013, 04:35:06 AM

Actually, it's close enough to the real thing (note the robust legs and hips) that I suspect Anthony Beeson had access to at least some of the new material while CollectA was designing it. The only real issue is the lack of a sail/hump, which may have been left out to avoid revealing it prior to the announcement of the finds.

And until it was announced (it would be nice to see a published paper as well), if Anthony had included the hump, everyone would have complained that CollectA was making things up to be different. So it was safer to go with as much as he could without being too obvious.

Georassic

I meant to say:  I CAN suffer a few inaccuracies ...  ::)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: