News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo- new for 2014

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, November 08, 2013, 04:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amanda

Ah, yea. I keep forgetting that one. But yea. All the pics show open/close jaws, but the new archy and dilopho do not. Hmmmm. I would have preferred closed mouths...

Concavenator

Quote from: amanda on January 22, 2014, 05:40:21 PM
Ah, yea. I keep forgetting that one. But yea. All the pics show open/close jaws, but the new archy and dilopho do not. Hmmmm. I would have preferred closed mouths...
Me as well...at least for the Archaeopteryx,it would look more friendly

amanda

Yes. IF they had made it look more bird like, and less raptor, then I would have voted for an open mouth. A very bird looking critter, with those teeth. But the raptor route would look cooler with the slim scaly snout closed...does that make sense? I wonder why they have decided against joints all of a sudden?

Takama

I think that the Dilophos Tooth notch might have something to do with it

tanystropheus

I'm not convinced that the jaws are not moveable.

amanda

It's an implication, not a fact. Every other hinged item in the catalog has special graphics showing the open/close positioning. Even last years. But nothing on the new ones which is odd. I could see if the new graphics did not highlight the option on any, but to still go out of their way to show that for all but the new ones is suggestive.

Everything_Dinosaur

Quote from: amanda on January 23, 2014, 05:11:28 AM
It's an implication, not a fact. Every other hinged item in the catalog has special graphics showing the open/close positioning. Even last years. But nothing on the new ones which is odd. I could see if the new graphics did not highlight the option on any, but to still go out of their way to show that for all but the new ones is suggestive.

Everything Dinosaur team members had a meeting with Papo senior management recently, we will post up picture of the new Archaeopteryx shortly, but an update on the articulated jaw issues, for anyone that has raised this point.  The Dilophosaurus model will have an articulated jaw, with the Archaeopteryx although it was proposed to have one, the jaw is not articulated, it just proved too fiddly to sort out as the production began in earnest.  However, the beak/mouth is very well painted.  Papo seem to have really gone out of their way to give their Archaeopteryx a really good paint job.

Everything_Dinosaur

The first picture from Everything Dinosaur of the new Papo Archaeopteryx model which will be available in March.  The model measures 11cm in length, it stands a little over 7cm high and the wingspan is around 13cm.  We estimate that based on these dimensions the replica is in approximately 1:5 scale.

Although the idea of giving this model an articulated jaw was originally proposed, it will not have one (the new Dilophosaurus will).  The model is superbly painted and looks beautiful, lots of detail and great design.

sauroid

it looks vastly different from the original photo. this one looks more graceful/slender compared to the more massive/raptor-like original stock photo. i like this one better.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Everything_Dinosaur

We tried to take a number of pics to show off the body shape and overall plan, but not all of them turned out OK, (not good at holding the camera steady).  The actual figure does look different from the original stock imagery, we agree it does look better in the flesh as it were.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on January 23, 2014, 09:58:14 AM
The first picture from Everything Dinosaur of the new Papo Archaeopteryx model which will be available in March.  The model measures 11cm in length, it stands a little over 7cm high and the wingspan is around 13cm.  We estimate that based on these dimensions the replica is in approximately 1:5 scale.

Although the idea of giving this model an articulated jaw was originally proposed, it will not have one (the new Dilophosaurus will).  The model is superbly painted and looks beautiful, lots of detail and great design.

Papo has done an amazing job on highlighting the feathers. I wonder if the model still possesses the rich beige/cream/biscuit (w/ the subtle gradations and blending) colored underbelly of the stock photos.

By the way, is Papo aware of the demand for the Giganotosaurus by DTF? I understand that an Apatosaurus might not be suitable (at least not in the near future) due to the potential costs associated with releasing a deluxe sized sauropod model, but I see no problems in releasing a popular theropod.

Libraraptor

As for me, I do not like the new minis and the new Dilophosaurus lacks innovation and phantasy. It seems like what they basically did was taking their Allosaurus´ body and putting a crested head at it.
The Archaeopteryx is reminding me at Safari´s Microraptor a little which I love very much. This Archaeopteryx is the first figure I´ll definitely be buying after some months of dino-diet!

amanda

Dunno. I still feel that the dead front angle did not truly show the figure. There is so much of import behind the head, there was little to evaluate. It certainly seems "must have" in status now, for my.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 23, 2014, 01:49:58 PM
As for me, I do not like the new minis and the new Dilophosaurus lacks innovation and phantasy. It seems like what they basically did was taking their Allosaurus´ body and putting a crested head at it.
The Archaeopteryx is reminding me at Safari´s Microraptor a little which I love very much. This Archaeopteryx is the first figure I´ll definitely be buying after some months of dino-diet!

While the Dilo may lack innovation and/ phantasy (Sideshow Dilos have more unique poses), I really don't think the model is reusing the Allosaurus build. The Dilo's calf muscles are less beefed up than the Allosaurus, the stride is longer, and the neck is significantly longer than the Allosaurus, as well.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 23, 2014, 02:37:30 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on January 23, 2014, 01:49:58 PM

While the Dilo may lack innovation and/ phantasy (Sideshow Dilos have more unique poses), I really don't think the model is reusing the Allosaurus build. The Dilo's calf muscles are less beefed up than the Allosaurus, the stride is longer, and the neck is significantly longer than the Allosaurus, as well.
It's definitely not the same sculpt. They're facing different directions, for one thing.

I think they are very similar because they were designed by the same guy. It's not the same as their Pachyrhinosaurus and Styracosaurus, which share the same body (I strongly think that the original artist went back to his master of the Pachy, chopped the head off, and sculpted a Styraco on top of it. Then they made molds from that :))). Ceratopsians in general have very similar body plans anyway.

postsaurischian

^  that pic of the Papo Allosaurus is mirror-inverted ;D.
I think Libra is right. The Dilophosaurus isn't the same sculpt, but it's very much like the Allo's figure .... so, kind of uninspired.

:D Wow! I think I love the Archaeopteryx despite its scientific flaws (like many of Papo's figures).

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 23, 2014, 04:31:49 PM
^ that pic of the Papo Allosaurus is mirror-inverted ;D.
I think Libra is right. The Dilophosaurus isn't the same sculpt, but it's very much like the Allo's figure .... so, kind of uninspired.

:D Wow! I think I love the Archaeopteryx despite its scientific flaws (like many of Papo's figures).
Hahah, you're right. Fail :-[

amanda

The Papo Styraco and Pachyrhino are not the same bodies either. Pachy has a much straighter and angular back, styraco is rounder and more hunched. Various muscles are different, various scales are different. The styraco's over body compared side to side is shorter, and rounder belly, tail is curved the opposite and shorter. He may have reused the mold, and resculpted on top of that, but they are not exactly mirror to mirror, nor is the dilopho. I have the two ceratopsians right here. Even scute placement varies, while other details are exact. It is a resculpt, not just a head replacement...

Jetoar

Wonderful back of Archaeopteryx figure friend, I like it  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: