News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Horizon Jurassic Park kits

Started by Amanasaur Rex, November 13, 2013, 04:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanasaur Rex

Hey guys I'm new here and i just wanted to share some of the stuff I'v been building over the past 3 or 4 months. They're the Horizon kits from way back in 1993 i think or 94 I'm not sure but I had to get them as I'm a hug Jurassic Park fan but all I had to show for it was some DVDs so I though hey a Marquette or model type thing would be pretty cool so I searched it up originally finding the Sideshow piece which I didn't mind but was way out of my price range and then after searching some more! I found these and thought I could make my own pieces like unique ones.

At first i was no good with painting so it took me a couple of retry and lessons from around the web and from Stan Winston school after which really improved my painting ability to the point where I was happy with the finished product. So here they are!

The Velociraptor based on the ones from the 1st Jurassic Park

And The Dilophosaurus

So what do you guys think? I'v started work on the T-rex now so I can post WIPs while I'm working on it.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Amanasaur Rex

1thanks Spino. Took me a while but i got there!

amargasaurus cazaui

Gorgeous models..I am expecially fond of the body patterns used for the "spitter"
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

spaniardraptor

Painting is pretty cool!! Considering the size of the models i think you did a great job!

Amanasaur Rex

Thanks guy for the kind words!

Here where I got to today on the T-rex

0onarcissisto0

If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

Ikessauro

Really good work you've got there. Congrats,  your painting skills are really good.

Amanasaur Rex

Thanks guys. I was horrible when i started it took me 3 o4 restarts to get it to there. I'm thinking of buy blank glass eyes for the Raptor to paint up and give it a more realistic look.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Very nicely done !

The Raptor looks as good as some pieces I've seen from SWS.

I love the patterns on the dilophosaurus..I've done two Horizon kits, several customs with it and even painted our juvenile 1:1 Dilo in the same pattern. This guy was actually my first Horizon model.  I actually bought it 93' cut all the pieces out and couldn't figure out how to do it and tossed it in a box.  I dug it out a couple years ago and figured I'd give it a go with more models under my belt : http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs27/f/2008/138/1/9/Jurassic_Park_Spitter_Attacks_by_Blade_of_the_Moon.jpg

Glass eyes really do add to a kit..but I've seen some nicely painted ones as well.

Amanasaur Rex

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 18, 2013, 05:23:40 PM
Very nicely done !

I love the patterns on the dilophosaurus..I've done two Horizon kits, several customs with it and even painted our juvenile 1:1 Dilo in the same pattern. This guy was actually my first Horizon model.  I actually bought it 93' cut all the pieces out and couldn't figure out how to do it and tossed it in a box.  I dug it out a couple years ago and figured I'd give it a go with more models under my belt : http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs27/f/2008/138/1/9/Jurassic_Park_Spitter_Attacks_by_Blade_of_the_Moon.jpg

Glass eyes really do add to a kit..but I've seen some nicely painted ones as well.

Yeah you realy think so? I think the camera may have made the colour look a bit bland becuase it looks better in person the Raptor i took it with and Iphone.

My Dilo is a bit more regular green as a posed to the dark green like yours and in the movie as i used a SWS Maqutte as refrence becuase i couldnt find any clear pics of the final puppet. http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5467814 these are what i used for refrence

But know I purchased the making of Jurassic Park book wich i should recive in the next couple of weeks so maybe Ill get to see what it looks like in proper lighting.

Yeah I agree that there are some nice painted ones but If i can get plain glass ones and paint those up I think it'll look that much better.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Amanasaur Rex on November 19, 2013, 12:10:59 PM
Very nicely done !

Yeah you realy think so? I think the camera may have made the colour look a bit bland becuase it looks better in person the Raptor i took it with and Iphone.

My Dilo is a bit more regular green as a posed to the dark green like yours and in the movie as i used a SWS Maqutte as refrence becuase i couldnt find any clear pics of the final puppet. http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5467814 these are what i used for refrence

But know I purchased the making of Jurassic Park book wich i should recive in the next couple of weeks so maybe Ill get to see what it looks like in proper lighting.

Yeah I agree that there are some nice painted ones but If i can get plain glass ones and paint those up I think it'll look that much better.

Sure do.  There are a lot of variety in the way the Raptor's were painted by Stan's studio...I'd say yours matches a few of the ones I've seen. 

I can understand..I looked everywhere for references when doing mine..and it seemed every pic I foudn was a bit different..usually it was do to the film, the lighting, or the camera used. So I just went with the darker coloration to try and match the film scene.  I also used Crash's Dilo art for the design on parts of the body you can't really see well in the film.

The book which I have may help some ( It's a fun read too ! ) but it might also raise more questions than it will answer.

Hey, you never know til you try right ?

Amanasaur Rex

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 20, 2013, 03:44:13 AM
Quote from: Amanasaur Rex on November 19, 2013, 12:10:59 PM
Very nicely done !

Sure do.  There are a lot of variety in the way the Raptor's were painted by Stan's studio...I'd say yours matches a few of the ones I've seen. 

I can understand..I looked everywhere for references when doing mine..and it seemed every pic I foudn was a bit different..usually it was do to the film, the lighting, or the camera used. So I just went with the darker coloration to try and match the film scene.  I also used Crash's Dilo art for the design on parts of the body you can't really see well in the film.

The book which I have may help some ( It's a fun read too ! ) but it might also raise more questions than it will answer.

Hey, you never know til you try right ?

Yeah at first i tried using the fule scale anamtronic but it didn't look good at that scale. So i found pictures of a diorama Stan Winston Studios did of 2 Raptor attacking or eating a sick Triceratops and they looked similar scale to the Horizon version and i used that and it came out alot better. Interestingly I only got better at painting my kits after i bought a Marquette painting tutorial from Stan Winston school...

It really does do you head in when you see so many different version's of supposedly the same animal. In the end you just have to go with which one you like!

Yep that's exactly right!

fleshanthos

Have you done anything to repair the crooked mouth of the T. rex? I removed alot of the edging on the lower jaw, and puttied up the much wider crack on its left side (I think).
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

Amanasaur Rex

Quote from: fleshanthos on November 20, 2013, 12:21:49 PM
Have you done anything to repair the crooked mouth of the T. rex? I removed alot of the edging on the lower jaw, and puttied up the much wider crack on its left side (I think).

Mine wasn't crooked. But my Raptors was slightly. I fixed it mostly by heating it up re-positioning it and dipping it cold water with the new position. That should fix it.

Amanasaur Rex

Update on the T-rex. Getting there!

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Amanasaur Rex

Thanks man. Still a WIP got alot more detailing to do!

Amanasaur Rex

Tyrannosaurus Rex! female...

Night Shots

Day Time Shots

Close Ups

Also darkened up the back of the heels wich i can't seem to get a decent photo of. Now to get another kit paint it up in the Bull Rex and recreat this scene.

With Roland in the Foreground saying "Bastard!"

Blade-of-the-Moon

Awesome detailing and paint work bud !

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: