You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Utah gets Another Giant Theropod

Started by ZoPteryx, November 22, 2013, 07:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

And this time, it's a neovenatorid!!! :o  So from oldest to youngest, it seems that the succession of large carnivores in the Cedar Mountain formation went from Utahraptor, to Acrocanthosaurus, then to the new guy SiatsAnd I can't decide if I like that name...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siats_(dinosaur)

SBell

I don't think Utah 'gets' the dinosaurs. That almost sounds like someone is awarding them to a state or something like that ;D! Just so happens that Utah has the right age rocks with the right exposures and the people looking for them.

Yutyrannus

Nice! Another new dinosaur from where I live ;D!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

fleshanthos

Annoying how the media sensationalism is warping facts again. "It held back the evolution of Tyrannosaurus!"
Dolts.
1) Like tyrannosaurids were just waiting to evolve Tyrannosaurus alone?! "Oh no, I can't evolve, I'm being blocked." Ya. It doesn't work quite like that. If Siats stuck around, tyrannosaurids would have evolved into other smaller forms.
= "Oh! If I'd married my hi school sweetheart instead of my college GF, you kids wouldn't BE here!" Yes. Other kids would be here instead. So?

2) Do they go flapping their gums in the exact same way about Acro? "Oh it's LOADS earlier!" SO?!?

3) Watch the media circus as some polarize around "protecting" the "king" of the dinos vs the special power of holding down evolution Siats had over him! Like, WHO CARES. Niches are like parking spaces. One car in it today, another one in it tomorrow. It's a FACT. Get over it.
"Oh the blue car is stopping a RED car from being in here!" ....ok, maybe important if you're talking a station wagon vs a corvette.

4) Even now, the writer of JP4 is swearing to himself and frantically rewriting the script to make Siats the new star. Watch and see how much $$$ is changing hands to make this happen.
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

Balaur

Please edit your post for language.

I do agree with you, media reportin is absolutely horrible. That's why I don't fully trust the media anymore when it comes to science reporting.

DinoToyForum

Just to confirm it is against the rules to swear on the forum, if that's what the post was edited for, thanks for doing so.  C:-)

___

What does the name mean, I couldn't find an etymology.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 23, 2013, 04:52:49 PM

___

Siats was a man-eating monster in Ute tribal legend.

Ikessauro

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 23, 2013, 04:52:49 PM
Just to confirm it is against the rules to swear on the forum, if that's what the post was edited for, thanks for doing so.  C:-)

___

I saw in a video some people saying that it means "Man Eating Monster" or something like that...  :P

Jetoar

Interesting new of this new dinosaur  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Balaur on November 23, 2013, 04:33:21 PM
Please edit your post for language.

I do agree with you, media reportin is absolutely horrible. That's why I don't fully trust the media anymore when it comes to science reporting.
Next time this happens, I recommend clicking the "report to moderator" button.

fleshanthos

The problem, Balaur, is that it is difficult to find some good journals that don't cost an arm and a leg. Everywhere I found the report article, it was over $30 to read.

So I would like to ask Dr. Admin for some links to the best journals. Maybe an annual subscription would be cheaper.
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

Splonkadumpocus

It's quite fortunate that Siats and Lythronax were both discovered recently. Now we know that the turnover from carnosaurs to tyrannosaurs in North America had to be between 98.5 and 80 Ma. Probably closer to the former as Lythronax is already fairly derived.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.