News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Saurian (Game Project)

Started by Yutyrannus, November 28, 2013, 08:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinosaurus1

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 07, 2016, 03:14:23 PM
But hadrosaurs are widely known to have definitely possessed cheeks, and at least one ankylosaur fossil (I forget which species) has been found with cheek armor. Considering their presence in both ornithopods and thyreophoreans, it would seem reasonable to assume their presence throughout Ornithischia.

i don't recall any hadrosaur giving direct evidence for having cheeks. not from either oseological evidence or even hadrosaur mummies, which i might add that the saurian devs do have notable contacts with many who directly work on the edmontosaurus mummy. if sed animal presented any evidence of expansive cheeks, i'm sure they would of been notified and have never released their anatosaurus model until it was up to par with scientific backing

the ankylosaurs your thinking of are likely Panoplosaurus and Edmontonia. the presumed cheek armor could also not be embedded by soft tissue, but simply cartilaginouslly attached to the lower jaw. their denversaurus depicts this.

and heres some plausible configurations on sed armor

and Tom Parkers words

"The 'cheek' osteoderm on Panoplosaurus is perfectly in line with Ali Nabavizadeh's work on ornithischian cheeks. Our Denversaurus (the sister taxa to Panoplosaurus) already has the 'cheek' osteoderm and correct musculature"

both the ankylosaur and nodasaur was extensively reviewed by renowned ankylosaur expert Victoria Arbour who has direct access to material and have heavily influence how the saurian ankylosaur models look, everything from it's armor configuration to scalation patterns. if theirs anything set and stone about ankylosaurs or nodosaurs possessing cheeks, it would have already been brought up

i just want to to state that the saurian team has been studying the hell creek formation for over 4 years and have collaborated with various paleontologists and have access to material that haven't even published yet. they have openly stated this and maintain the standpoint that upon extensive peer review, their models are as plausible as can be with what direct evidence and plausible speculation allows

to completely ignore this and claim that some of their models are inaccurate because it lacks extensive cheeks despite that no ornithischian has provided direct evidence for, on the bases that food will simply fall out without it and the unjustifiable accusation that "They're on some sort of tirade to remove cheeks from every dinosaur" is just a complete disregard to whatever references, studies, and direct paleontological influences that they have used to interpret the animals the way they do. none of the work they have done so far is baseless. it is always healthy to be aprehensive and downright questionable to new scientific findings of interpretations, but were at an age were we can ask these questions and have them provide their reasons and feedback. if you have questions in regards on why their models are looking like this, they will gladly provide their reasons if you contact them through their discord. i'll place the link bellow

http://saurian.maxmediacorp.com/?p=920

they have answered  plethora of my questions and i'm certain they can do the same to anybody willing to ask

spinosaurus1

new devlog is out. :)

http://saurian.maxmediacorp.com/?p=1364

" This past week I have been tweaking the Ornithischian "cheeks" to match our conversations with palaeontologist Ali Nabavizadeh. Most of our ornithischians needed an update, here is the Ankylosaurus, Anatosaurus, and the Denversaurus. You may be wondering where our Triceratops is, that was worked on this week as well and we will have more to share about the changes there in the coming updates. I'll eat a turkey but my pace ain't slowing down for the holiday. Gangsters don't take time off."

can't wait for the triceratops update

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Was it the Oldman Formation that was one of the stretch goals? Or was it Dinosaur Park Formation? (I'm confused because both can be found WITHIN Dinosaur Provincial Park...)

Either way, if we get a sequel, it's safe to assume that's the environment we will get next. If this becomes a franchise though, and we get more after that, what do you guys think they're most likely to look into next? The Morrison Formation would certainly be interesting, though the scaling problems that led the to drop the playable Acheroraptor will be magnified tenfold in an ecosystem that supports a dozen species of super-giant sauropods. I'm thinking they're more likely to go abroad, presumably with one of the well-known Chinese ecosystems.

Personally, I'd like to see things go in a slightly different direction. A game based around the Solnhofen would be fascinating. The island environment would put interesting constraints on terrestrial play, while the many species of flying critters would open up brand new options for exploration.

Yutyrannus

It was the Two Medicine Formation, actually.

Some of the devs have said on stream that their choices for the next two games would be Niobrara and Morrison, not necessarily in that order.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Flaffy

The Two-Medicine formation was the Stretch Goal.
The most likely candidates for a Saurian sequel are Ocean of Kansas or Morrison Formation.

spinosaurus1

Flaffy

A lot of detail is missing, is that usually the case with small 3D printed figures?

spinosaurus1

i suspect so. they are in 1/120 scale so their super tiny. it's actually quite the amount of detail for a 9 cm figure

stargatedalek

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 04, 2016, 06:04:00 PM
A lot of detail is missing, is that usually the case with small 3D printed figures?
I thought they were metal?

spinosaurus1

^yep, their made of silver. these are essentially key chain ornaments

Flaffy

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 04, 2016, 06:21:38 PM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 04, 2016, 06:04:00 PM
I thought they were metal?
Yes, they are metal. I swear I've heard before that they were 3D printed... :P Meh.

spinosaurus1

I like that giant "pancake turtle". :)

Gah, I want this game so bad. Not only is it going to be a long wait, but I'm afraid my computer might not have the processing power for it. :(

Flaffy

Pachyrhinosaurus

I like what they did with the trike. I wonder what evidence there is supporting the keratin face; I always liked that design but I didn't think it was anything more than speculation.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Faelrin

I wonder how much different the texture (the coloration, etc. that a model has) will be since the model is different due to them implementing the whole keratin covering thing. I'm already starting to have an appreciation for all the other wonderful critters around in the Mesozoic, and I'm sure that interest will only grow once the game is out, as well as with the field guide. Can't wait to get my physical copy of that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

Quote from: Faelrin on December 23, 2016, 03:33:06 AM
I wonder how much different the texture (the coloration, etc. that a model has) will be since the model is different due to them implementing the whole keratin covering thing. I'm already starting to have an appreciation for all the other wonderful critters around in the Mesozoic, and I'm sure that interest will only grow once the game is out, as well as with the field guide. Can't wait to get my physical copy of that.
I hope they keep the colours similar, it would be a huge shame if they gave it "atypical" (aka Mammalian) keratin colours.

Faelrin

Same here. I really did like that color scheme they gave it. I'm just hoping the keratin part will just be more glossy then the rest, while still retaining the colors. Guess I'll have to see how it turns out when it's done though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Brontozaurus

I'm going to guess that the colours will barely change between models. Every Triceratops they've shown from the old model to the concept art has the same colours. Doubt they'd change it this late in development.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: