News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Saurian (Game Project)

Started by Yutyrannus, November 28, 2013, 08:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Brontozaurus on June 12, 2016, 03:48:32 AM
I'm hoping that the multiplayer will be like Journey in restricting player communication to in-game sounds. Text and voice chat would really break the immersion.
Agreed  ;D ;D

stargatedalek

I'd prefer if it was how The Isle was(/is planning to make their main game mode) where you can text chat but only to your species, and voice chat only with people who you enable it with.

CyborgDino

Saurian made a new blog post all about Anatosaurus:
http://saurian.maxmediacorp.com/?p=549

Flaffy

Final 20 minutes guys, and Saurian will be FUNDED!  ;D ;D ;D
Last chance to change pledges!
Link to Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1379624404/saurian-an-open-world-dinosaur-survival-experience/description

So excited for Saurian!  :)) :))

acro-man

so the pledge is over?!
IT'S OVER??!!!!!

god!
should've known it earlier!
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Flaffy

Quote from: acro-man on June 24, 2016, 03:45:19 AM
so the pledge is over?!
IT'S OVER??!!!!!

god!
should've known it earlier!
Yup, it's over. I stayed up late just to see it end.

CyborgDino

Saurian just revealed the 4 potential playables, with concept art and descriptions of how the they will function ingame: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1379624404/saurian-an-open-world-dinosaur-survival-experience/posts/1626668

Anzu

"Anzu is the jack of all trades in the Hell Creek ecosystem. As an omnivore, Anzu is able to take advantage of both high quality vegetation and small prey items, particularly the eggs and hatchlings of other dinosaurs. Males are larger and much flashier than females, resulting in both sexes occupying a slightly different niche from one another. While not the fastest dinosaur in Hell Creek, Anzu's first choice in dealing with threats is still to run. Perhaps Anzu's most unique skill is its ability to mimic the calls of other dinosaurs in the ecosystem, a handy tool for both attracting prey and bluffing potential threats."

Ornithomimid

"Playing as the ornithomimid is all about being one with the flock. While the ornithomimid is one of the fastest animal in Hell Creek, there's not a lot you can do to defend yourself against a marauding Dakotaraptor or Tyrannosaurus. There's safety in numbers, so finding other ornithomimids is the best way to keep one step ahead of the predators. In large enough groups, you can even turn the tables on some of your smaller adversaries. Primarily an herbivore, the ornithomimid will not turn its beak up at small animals or eggs."

Anatosaurus

"Anatosaurus' entire life revolves around the herd and your place in it. The healthier your herd is, the healthier you as an individual are. As a young animal you are extremely vulnerable, your survival depends on how well you can utilize the rest of the herd for protection from hungry predators looking for an easy meal. As you grow larger, your safety becomes a matter of your social connections: the more friends you make within the herd through social interaction, resource sharing and alerts to potential threats, the more allies you have when you are under attack."

Ankylosaurus

"The beefcake of Hell Creek, Ankylosaurus lives a largely solitary life. Ankylosaurus is a very territorial animal, and tolerates other members of its species only during breeding season. While eating is a full time job, Ankylosaurus gains significant benefits from eating specific plants, and therefore must range widely and defend choice plots of foliage, not only from each other, but from other herbivores as well. While adults are rarely bothered by predators other than Tyrannosaurus, young ankylosaurs are vulnerable to many Hell Creek predators due to their still forming armor, and must either hide from predators or seek shelter in the company of more intimidating targets."

Denversaurus

"Denversaurus relies on partnership to survive, forming strong bonds with other individuals, even when separated. Relatively non-vocal when alone, Denversaurus becomes very noisy and communicative when together with other individuals. Unlike its relative Ankylosaurus, Denversaurus tends to be very high strung due to its smaller size and less formidable weaponry, and is far more likely to react aggressively to any perceived threat. Both parents provide extended parental care to scutelings, which lack armor when first hatched."

Personally, I think I'm going to vote for Anatosaurus and Anzu when the vote starts, although all of the options are so fantastic that I desperately wish I could choose all of them.

PaleoMatt

MLMjp

Sorry, but in game that goes full on accuracy, they call that ornithopod Anatosaurus annectens? The name is not valid anymore. It should be Edmontosaurus annectens, unless they are part of the ones that think that it should still be a separate genus, in which case they are also wrong because then it should be Anatotitan cope.

PD: I just went to their website and I saw the explanation of why they did that, however I´m still not convinced about their arguments.

Yutyrannus

No, Anatosaurus would have priority over Anatotitan.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Brontozaurus

It makes more sense morphologically to say they're different genera, but I do agree that their chosen time interval is way too short when modern genera have records extending back much further than a million years.

When it comes time to vote I think I'll go for Anzu and Anatosaurus. Both sound like they'd offer interesting gameplay experiences. In the case of Anatosaurus, there's also the fact that ornithopods get little love in dinosaur media anyway outside of being killed and eaten by theropods all the time. Turning the tables would be supremely satisfying.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

stargatedalek

The traits separating Edmontosaurus and Anatosaurus are also not that far off from say, the orca subspecies. Hardly enough morphological grounds if you ask me to make them a full genera, but I've already been through this whole debate with Allosaurus maximus.

I'll be voting for Anzu and Ankylosaurus. The ornithomimid sounds interesting but I prefer Anzu's design vastly, and of course the call mimicry also sounds irresistibly fun for multiplayer.

Ankylosaurus sounds like it will present a more interesting challenge than the other herbivores, constantly travelling or defending territory to find food. Denversaurus just sounds like a smaller Triceratops and Anatosaurus seems like it will be pretty much a combination of the other playables as it goes through different stages until it becomes an invulnerable beast.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

However much they differientiate the ecology of Anzu and "Ornithomimus", I'm not certain that it will feel very different from Dakotaraptor gameplay-wise. To get the most diverse range of play styles from each playable animal in the game, I think I would vote for Anatosaurus and one of the ankylosaurs.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on July 18, 2016, 06:46:17 PM
However much they differientiate the ecology of Anzu and "Ornithomimus", I'm not certain that it will feel very different from Dakotaraptor gameplay-wise. To get the most diverse range of play styles from each playable animal in the game, I think I would vote for Anatosaurus and one of the ankylosaurs.

The vote's for one herbivore and one omnivore. So you can only pick one of those.

Honestly, the omnivory will do a lot to distinguish Anzu and the ornithomimid from Dakotaraptor. It'll take the pressure off finding food if you can eat whatever.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

btb300

Just a bit of additional info on why naming of species is the way it is in the game and on the general problems of classification in the various fields of biology and paleontology:
http://dinogoss.blogspot.ie/2016/07/playing-with-saurians-genericometer.html
Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

CarnegieCollector

As far as Graphics go, this game gets a 10/10. The gameplay and basic idea sounds rather boring.

Then again, I thought minecraft would be a boring game, but it's not.

Meh, I look forward to this game coming out. Good gameplay or not I'm gonna play it
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

HD-man

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Flaffy

Well Saurian isn't your average dinosaur-survival game, it has a lot of elements which differs it from other dinosaur survival games. Like courtship during mating season, social dynamics, mimicry, sexual dimorphism, really smart AI, a working ecosystem, weather that actually affects the player and everything around it, post-impact survival, different playstyles during different stages of life, accurate fauna and flora...

CarnegieCollector

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on July 24, 2016, 04:36:28 AM
Well Saurian isn't your average dinosaur-survival game, it has a lot of elements which differs it from other dinosaur survival games. Like courtship during mating season, social dynamics, mimicry, sexual dimorphism, really smart AI, a working ecosystem, weather that actually affects the player and everything around it, post-impact survival, different playstyles during different stages of life, accurate fauna and flora...

Post impact survival? Meaning you survive the apocalypse?!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: