News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Tyrantqueen's Caboodle

Started by tyrantqueen, January 02, 2014, 09:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: johnson1010 on April 22, 2014, 10:13:49 PM
Hello Dino community!

Tyrant Queen, i see your spinosaurus from shapeways there.

Much larger than the specs on the site seemed to indicate. I am a 3-d modeler who recently got into scale dino toys for my son's education, and my own deep love of dinos!

So, naturally i made a dino for shapeways myself, but was aghast at the price of nearly $240 US.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1596317/spinosaurus-1-60-scale.html?li=search-results&materialId=91

So i didn't have it printed, and didnt' put the refined model up on the site at all, as it seemed well outside a reasonable price range to produce a line of toys at the 1/60 (1 inch to 5 feet) range i was looking for.

But it looks to me like the spinosaurus you have obtained from shapeways is nearly a fifth of the price!

Confusing.
Over two hundred dollars for a small model doesn't sound right. Hopefully some of our artists here can pinpoint the mistake you may be making.

I wish I could answer your question, but I don't really know anything about 3D printing. The creator of the Spinosaurus, Manuel Bejarano, should be able to answer your question. Here's his thread http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1047.640

Gorgonzola might also be happy to give you some advice on printing your models. Here's his thread http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1272.420

Thanks for checking out my thread :)

johnson1010

agreed!

My spino came out to just shy of 12 inches long, which looks to be about the same size as the one you've got in this thread.

Thanks for responding, if i hadn't saw your post i probably wouldn't have looked into it any further.

But now, if i can get my printing problems under control, i might just have my custom spinosaurus after all!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: johnson1010 on April 22, 2014, 10:26:44 PM
agreed!

My spino came out to just shy of 12 inches long, which looks to be about the same size as the one you've got in this thread.

Thanks for responding, if i hadn't saw your post i probably wouldn't have looked into it any further.

But now, if i can get my printing problems under control, i might just have my custom spinosaurus after all!
You're welcome. Send them a PM or leave a comment on their threads and they'll probably help you out :)

tyrantqueen

I finally got my Dinoland Anchiceratops :)

I'm really glad Monstrositiesinc. came back, without them I would not have been able to obtain this model and the Elasmosaurus I posted earlier in the thread.

Also thanks to a friendly individual in Japan, I have obtained two books. I can't read either of them, but it doesn't matter because the artwork is so nice.

Shinzen's new sculpting book. Lots of high quality photos of his models, with some tutorials on making them.

An encyclopedia type book with lots of species and artwork. Also features some Hirokazu Tokugawa models photographed from various angles.

Invicta Hunter

I just bought one of those Dinoland Anchiceratops myself. Did you have to pay any fees when it came into the country?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on April 23, 2014, 02:50:00 PM
I just bought one of those Dinoland Anchiceratops myself. Did you have to pay any fees when it came into the country?
No, thankfully :)

Invicta Hunter

That's good, did the seller list it at a lower value?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on April 23, 2014, 02:52:21 PM
That's good, did the seller list it at a lower value?
I think he probably did, but I didn't keep the box to check. I didn't specifically ask him to do so, so he'll probably do the same for you, too.

Invicta Hunter

Fingers crossed he does the same for me, i also bought the styraco. Gonna try my best to get all the premade models but i think it's going to take sometime.

sauroid

whoah congrats on the two books and the Anchi TQ. they are so nice. hope to be able to get those books too someday...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: sauroid on April 23, 2014, 03:39:51 PM
whoah congrats on the two books and the Anchi TQ. they are so nice. hope to be able to get those books too someday...

postsaurischian

:) Congrats on the Anchiceratops - it's such a cool model. Most of my Dinoland collection I also owe to MonstrositiesInc. He's always been the best!
..... ;D and I also have Japanese books bought by a friend, which I can't read but love the illustrations ^-^.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 23, 2014, 09:23:37 PM
:) Congrats on the Anchiceratops - it's such a cool model. Most of my Dinoland collection I also owe to MonstrositiesInc. He's always been the best!
..... ;D and I also have Japanese books bought by a friend, which I can't read but love the illustrations ^-^.
Thanks :) I like to think that the beauty of the artwork transcends all language barriers.

Monstrositiesinc.'s prices are very reasonable, unlike some sellers I've seen ;)

tyrantqueen

Big 'ol stack o' books.

It also doubles up as a flower press >:D

About the Don Glut enyclopedias- I won the whole lot of them from a Mormon bookseller on eBay for £119.07. Big thanks to Seijun for help with the shipping. You're the bee's knees ;)

I'm going to post my books here from now on, even though I do have a book thread. It's mostly broken links and I'm too lazy to go back and fix that.

tyrantqueen

I've already posted this in "recent acquisitions", but I'll post it here for posterity, even if some of you are sick of seeing it >:D

Tyrannosaurus rex by Shinzen Takeuchi.

I changed my mind about selling it...I'll be keeping it for now.

postsaurischian

I was shocked reading that you wanted to give it away ;D.
I ordered me a small Shinzen T. rex. I'm not having enough money at the moment.

Ikessauro

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 20, 2014, 07:10:50 PM
I've already posted this in "recent acquisitions", but I'll post it here for posterity, even if some of you are sick of seeing it >:D

Tyrannosaurus rex by Shinzen Takeuchi.

I changed my mind about selling it...I'll be keeping it for now.

Holly cow! That's one beautiful T.rex. How much did it cost?

sauroid

glad you decided to keep it TQ.

p.s. im not sick of seeing it. hope to see it finished/built and painted soon
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Thanks guys :)

QuoteHolly cow! That's one beautiful T.rex. How much did it cost?
I used a proxy service to order from Shinzen's site, which was called White Rabbit Japan (thanks to dinoking for the tip). Cost of the kit was $323.70, plus shipping to me was $42.52. On the positive side I didn't have to pay any custom charges. It was very expensive, but this will probably be my only splurge for a while.

tyrantqueen

It's Shane Foulkes' 1/18 Ceratosaurus >:D I do not know who the original builder was for this model. It was not done by me.

Big thanks to BotM for helping with the shipping 8)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: