You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Understanding Favorite/Kinto/Dinostoreus

Started by DinoToyForum, February 11, 2014, 11:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Could anyone please tease apart the history and relationship between these different companies/lines? I'm trying to clean up the classification on the dinotoyblog and I'm getting in a muddle!

SBell

As far as I understood it when talking with Dinosatoreus people a few years ago:

Kinto is the overall company. Favourite is one line among others, of the line of soft models. Dinostoreus is the US distributor of Kinto products.

postsaurischian

You're right about Dinostoreus.
But Favorite is not part of Kinto. Favorite is the company's (not soo) new name.
There's no Kinto anymore. All products are on Favorite's homepage: http://www.f-favorite.net/
The old desktop models that were distributed by Dinostoreus though won't be produced anymore.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: SBell on February 11, 2014, 01:55:01 PM
As far as I understood it when talking with Dinosatoreus people a few years ago:

Kinto is the overall company. Favourite is one line among others, of the line of soft models. Dinostoreus is the US distributor of Kinto products.

Thanks. I don't understand this bit: "Favourite is one line among others, of the line of soft models." If Favorite is a 'line', why is it referred to as Favorite Co. Ltd? It must be a sub-company of Kinto, then, or something?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 11, 2014, 02:08:08 PM
You're right about Dinostoreus.
But Favorite is not part of Kinto. Favorite is the company's (not soo) new name.
There's no Kinto anymore. All products are on Favorite's homepage: http://www.f-favorite.net/
The old desktop models that were distributed by Dinostoreus though won't be produced anymore.

Ah, so "Kinto" (the name, not the company) is defunct?

postsaurischian

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 11, 2014, 02:08:50 PM
Quote from: SBell on February 11, 2014, 01:55:01 PM

Thanks. I don't understand this bit: "Favourite is one line among others, of the line of soft models." If Favorite is a 'line', why is it referred to as Favorite Co. Ltd? It must be a sub-company of Kinto, then, or something?

For a while it was the name of the toy dinos. The other products were just Kinto products. Apparently at some point they changed to a DBA of Favorite to include everything.

Dan

Sean's info would have been correct when he received it, a few years ago. Now it is no longer the case. Dinostoreus pulled away from Favorite to form a completely separate company. This is why new releases for one company are different than the new releases of the other.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Dan on February 11, 2014, 08:02:53 PM
Sean's info would have been correct when he received it, a few years ago. Now it is no longer the case. Dinostoreus pulled away from Favorite to form a completely separate company. This is why new releases for one company are different than the new releases of the other.
Makes sense.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

DinoToyForum

So Dinostoreus are part distribution company for Favorite models, part separate company that sells different non-favorite models? What exactly are the differences between their new releases?

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 11, 2014, 08:51:49 PM

So Dinostoreus are part distribution company for Favorite models, part separate company that sells different non-favorite models? What exactly are the differences between their new releases?
If I'm correct, I believe that Dinostoreus produces "desktop" models, and Favorite does "soft" models. That'd be the most obvious difference, I'd think. But I could be wrong about that.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on February 11, 2014, 10:20:06 PM

If I'm correct, I believe that Dinostoreus produces "desktop" models, and Favorite does "soft" models. That'd be the most obvious difference, I'd think. But I could be wrong about that.

Look on the Favorite website, they produce all of the above. The models Dinostoreus sell are the same as the ones Favorite sell, I think. To be honest, I'm confused again!  :-X

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 11, 2014, 10:31:59 PM
Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on February 11, 2014, 10:20:06 PM

Look on the Favorite website, they produce all of the above. The models Dinostoreus sell are the same as the ones Favorite sell, I think. To be honest, I'm confused again!  :-X
Really? Oh. Now I'm confused too!  ;D
-Peter Benchley

SBell

I never dealt with them in more than an exploratory manner, so I haven't kept up with their changes. It seemed kind of complex several years ago, so it's good that some things are staying the same!

amargasaurus cazaui

So the nice models made of stiff resin like material and mounted on wood placques are being discontinued? I love that series of models...the compie and sciopnyx are life sized !!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 12, 2014, 02:32:44 AM
So the nice models made of stiff resin like material and mounted on wood placques are being discontinued? I love that series of models...the compie and sciopnyx are life sized !!!
All good things must come to an end, they say :-[

Dan

They offer many similar items because they were once the same company. Some of the older pieces are of course made from the same mold, so can be tricky to tell the differences unless the model is viewed in hand. Once they split into two companies, the divergence becomes apparent when you study their newer releases. For example, Dinostoreus has the Smilodon skull, while Favorite has the green Triceratops prorsus desktop model. Favorite is retiring and replacing many of their older pieces, which is why their skull and skeleton models look quite different now.

Categorically they are two different companies now, so in terms of the blog, each piece would just be categorized as either Favorite or Dinostoreus. Let me know if that helps.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Dan on February 12, 2014, 03:17:24 AM
They offer many similar items because they were once the same company. Some of the older pieces are of course made from the same mold, so can be tricky to tell the differences unless the model is viewed in hand. Once they split into two companies, the divergence becomes apparent when you study their newer releases. For example, Dinostoreus has the Smilodon skull, while Favorite has the green Triceratops prorsus desktop model. Favorite is retiring and replacing many of their older pieces, which is why their skull and skeleton models look quite different now.

Categorically they are two different companies now, so in terms of the blog, each piece would just be categorized as either Favorite or Dinostoreus. Let me know if that helps.

Thanks Dan, I see. So I need a Dinostoreus page to go alongside the Favorite page: http://dinotoyblog.com/companies/favorite-co-ltd/ It does make it a bit difficult to categorise some of the blog entries without it getting confusing, but since that is the reality, we will get by. Do you know when the companies split? That would help.

For those models that are similar to the point of being identical (made from same mold)(e.g. http://dinotoyblog.com/2011/12/16/allosaurus-skeleton-model-dinostoreus/ ?), it could be misleading to classify them as belonging to just one company or the other. I'm edging towards categorising them as both, despite whatever label appears on the underside. Or, do you think, based on your experience with these two companies, that the differences are sufficient to warrant a separate review for each company's version?

Thanks for your help!

postsaurischian

Comparing the Stegosaurus skeleton model from the Dinostoreus page with mine (which has the Favorite label on the underside) shows that there seems to be absolutely no difference.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 12, 2014, 09:53:07 AM
Comparing the Stegosaurus skeleton model from the Dinostoreus page with mine (which has the Favorite label on the underside) shows that there seems to be absolutely no difference.

So a separate review of both versions would be quite pointless. Simpler, then, to categorise one review on both company pages, with a title like so: Stegosaurus (Favorite co. Ltd. and Dinostoreus). Unless there are any objections, that's what I'll do. I never imagined the rabbit hole would go so deep! Thanks for your help folks!:)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: