You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Patrx's Collection (Fauna Prehistorica)

Started by Patrx, April 04, 2012, 12:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ezikot

Patrx

Yi qi
Sculpted, based, and painted by Carlos Alberto Domínguez Vega
I'm lucky to have obtained this one-of-a-kind piece by our own "Mr. Challenger"! It's really lovely and strange, just as one would expect for Yi.

Quote from: danmalcolm on February 21, 2017, 05:08:55 PM
Any chance you could post the dimensions of that rare breed deinonychus? ...Is it actually 15 cm long, and did you buy it with a pack or alone?

Sorry for the delay, just saw this request today - by my measurement, the Deinonychus is just over 14 cm. from the tip of the snout to the end of the tail. I bought it by itself. By the way, they did not ask me before using my photograph on the Shapeways listing - not that I mind much.

Ezikot

What a beauty!
(I still find amazing that something like that was real)

Halichoeres

Mr. Challenger's work is exquisite. I have his Diictodon, which is the centerpiece of my Permian-Triassic shelf.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

Quote from: Ezikot on March 19, 2017, 06:49:29 AM
What a beauty! (I still find amazing that something like that was real)

Indeed! It's very weird. Yet, somehow, Andrea Cau predicted it!

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 19, 2017, 09:34:52 PM
Mr. Challenger's work is exquisite. I have his Diictodon, which is the centerpiece of my Permian-Triassic shelf.

I remember seeing that Diictodon in your collection thread, it's excellent! Mr. Challenger truly is talented.

Mr. Challenger

Thanks for your kind words guys! Glad that you like my work  ^-^

Tylosaurus

@ Patrix:
That is a supreme masterpiece painted by a supreme artist, well by the looks of the end result ;)

@ Mr. Challenger

That isn't just work it's a piece of art which clearly images on how the creature may have looked like 8)
Your art skills have greatly achieved that goal sir ;)

Patrx

Many of us have one particular piece we're always on the lookout for - a dinosaur from childhood that went missing decades ago, a rarity from a missed event, or similar. In some cases, it's a piece that wasn't appreciated properly at first glance, and wasn't seen again. So it is with this model, something that caught my attention several years ago while I was browsing eBay. It's certainly an oddity - a feathered dinosaur model from 1984 - but I let it go by without much of an effort to bid. After all, it's not particularly accurate by modern standards.

Quite some time after that, I saw the figure once again in a fascinating post on DinoGoss. It would seem that this not only represents the first known feathered reconstruction of Deinonychus (itself the poster-taxon for the Dinosaur Renaissance,) but is also quite possibly the first feathered dinosaur figure to be made widely available. As an avid fan and collector of feathery paleoart, I immediately cursed my earlier parsimony. Since then, I've kept a keen eye out for it.
Recently, the figure turned up on eBay once again, and though I watched the auction like, well, a raptor, I ultimately won it uncontested! So, here it is:

Deinonychus antirrhopus
Sculpted by Timothy "Oberon" Zell for TMC

Although a modern reconstruction would be very different, this interpretation is fascinatingly prescient. Of particular note is the Archaeopteryx-like tail fan, which is currently considered to be the most likely arrangement of Deinonychus' rectrices.

Jose S.M.

acro-man

I have also noticed it on ebay and was surprised that feathering reconstruction had been applied to toy figures almost 20 years before the public began to accept the concept.
I can imagine people laughed and looked at it in a strange way back then, but time has proven the genius sculptor right.
Congrats!  :)
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Jetoar

Wonderful Collection. I have seen even my deinonychus models  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ceratopsian

Congratulations on spotting that Deinonychus statuette.  It's fascinating, so too the link to DinoGoss.

Patrx

Thanks, all!
Quote from: acro-man on August 04, 2017, 05:47:48 AM
I have also noticed it on ebay and was surprised that feathering reconstruction had been applied to toy figures almost 20 years before the public began to accept the concept.
I can imagine people laughed and looked at it in a strange way back then, but time has proven the genius sculptor right.
By all accounts the sculptor is something of a strange guy, so it seems suitable for his dinosaur model to have been a little out-of-step with the usual! Actually, although he's made some other sculptures, I don't think any of the rest have been dinosaurs.

Quote from: Jetoar on August 04, 2017, 07:46:00 AM
I have seen even my deinonychus models  ^-^.
Of course! They're among my favorites, actually.

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 04, 2017, 10:16:29 AM
It's fascinating, so too the link to DinoGoss.
Yep, DinoGoss is definitely a blog worth keeping up with  :)

Halichoeres

That's so cool! Great piece of history, and I agree the tail fan is especially impressive.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

I have been watching this thread,it is by far my favorite collection thread in the forum!
Congratlations on having such a fine collection!  :))

Libraraptor

I like your collection very much and I should come her more often. Only now I see that gorgeous Deinonychus model, and the link to that Dino Goss blog is really interesting!

Patrx

Quote from: Libraraptor on September 16, 2017, 09:12:44 AM
I like your collection very much and I should come her more often. Only now I see that gorgeous Deinonychus model, and the link to that Dino Goss blog is really interesting!
Quote from: Concavenator on September 14, 2017, 11:46:11 PM
I have been watching this thread,it is by far my favorite collection thread in the forum!
Congratlations on having such a fine collection!  :))

Thank you both! I'll be sure to keep this updated in a timely fashion. I hope to be able to do something to address the cluttered nature of the display soon.

Patrx

Right, finally time for an update to this thread!

Uintatherium
Sculpted by Doug Watson for Safari, Ltd.

This is one of those figures that really must be seen in person before a fair assessment can be made. The simple paint application works stupendously well and gives the piece a presence much like that of a more expensive figure or kit.

Anzu wyliei
Safari, Ltd.

A few slight issues with this one in my view, I think the manual digits should be fused by soft tissue and the transition between feather types looks a bit strange. Not impossible, though; I expect the integument of something like Kulindadromaeus would look similarly odd in life. I do really like the way the wings look and the sculptor gets lots of points for fluffing up the countours of the neck like that. Overall, very nice little figure! Here's a comparison with Aaron Doyle's sculpt:

Carcharodontosaurus saharicus

("White-shark-toothed reptile")
Sculpted by Doug Watson for Safari, Ltd, repainted

This particular repaint didn't really turn out like I was hoping it would. I finished it months ago, but just got around to getting photographs.

Teleoceras major
Sculpted by Mike Eischen

I made this little diorama to go with this 3D-printed Teleoceras. I elected to go with a hippo-like coloration rather than the typical rhino grey, just for variety. Teleoceras was on my mind at the time because I was working on the website for a documentary about a local fossil bed where these animals (and others) have been found in great numbers, buried in ash.

Lanthanotus

Nice photos.

I totally agree on the Uintatherium, it's a great figure and I like that somewhat anachronistic reconstruction a lot more than CollectA's approach. That repaint of the Carcharodontosaurus is quite fitting I think,... did you also sharpen its claws? They look so sharly defined...

And I like your mini diorama, a shame that 3D print figure shows so many production artefacts, but you really made the best out of it.

Shonisaurus

Safari's uintatherium is more scientific than Collecta's, I can say the megacerops. What I miss about the Collecta uintatherium is that it has little pronounced horns and its size although it is quite good medium I would have liked a size in the style of megacerops Safari. But that is a simple appreciation of mine.

On the other hand the uintatherium Play Visions is one of the uintatherium that I like the most and it is a figure impossible to find unfortunately. The same goes for its prehistoric mammals and their prehistoric amphibians. When they are auctioned by eBay, they are sold at impossible prices, too expensive for my pocket.  :'(

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: