You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Patrx's Collection (Fauna Prehistorica)

Started by Patrx, April 04, 2012, 12:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 30, 2017, 11:27:22 AM
Nice photos. I totally agree on the Uintatherium, it's a great figure and I like that somewhat anachronistic reconstruction a lot more than CollectA's approach.
Thanks! I like the idea(s) behind CollectA's version, but I think the execution is just a little, I don't know, crude-looking? A lot of CollectA figures feel that way to me, great ideas, but something just goes a little funny when they're put to plastic.

That repaint of the Carcharodontosaurus is quite fitting I think,... did you also sharpen its claws? They look so sharly defined...
Thanks again; I don't regret my choice of colors, but I feel the end result is a little sloppy. I did take a craft knife to the claws, so see if I could restore some of the sharpness taken from Doug's original sculpt for safety reasons. I think the idea is sound, but this time they turned out a little mangled.

And I like your mini diorama, a shame that 3D print figure shows so many production artefacts, but you really made the best out of it.
Yep, that stepping effect is pretty visible with this one; it's a tough ABS plastic and not the finer stuff that I normally get from Shapeways. But, the details are decent, and, well, where else am I to get a Teleoceras?

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 30, 2017, 12:04:10 PM
Safari's uintatherium is more scientific than Collecta's, I can say the megacerops. What I miss about the Collecta uintatherium is that it has little pronounced horns and its size although it is quite good medium I would have liked a size in the style of megacerops Safari. But that is a simple appreciation of mine.
True, the Safari Uintatherium isn't very big - I don't think the CollectA version is particularly inaccurate in most respects, just a little more inventive with regard to "known unknowns." Good luck on your search for the PlayVisions Uintatherium!

Halichoeres

Did you buy that Teleoceras from a seller called tams7prairie? If so the designer's name is Mike Eischen. I don't specifically recognize this design, but it's similar to his style and he also prints in ABS.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 31, 2017, 06:43:54 AM
Did you buy that Teleoceras from a seller called tams7prairie? If so the designer's name is Mike Eischen. I don't specifically recognize this design, but it's similar to his style and he also prints in ABS.

Yes, that was the seller! Thanks for the information. I'll update the post accordingly.  :D

Concavenator

This is easily my favorite collection thread.And those Anzu pictures look wonderful,in my opinion it is the real gem out of Safari's new lineup.We don't usually get to see oviraptorosaurs represented quite often,which is disappointing because they are stunning creatures.

Patrx

Quote from: Concavenator on December 31, 2017, 06:25:16 PM
This is easily my favorite collection thread.And those Anzu pictures look wonderful,in my opinion it is the real gem out of Safari's new lineup.We don't usually get to see oviraptorosaurs represented quite often,which is disappointing because they are stunning creatures.

Thanks for the kind words! I'd be glad to see more oviraptorosaurs as well; these two Anzu represent the only ones in my collection.

Patrx

Mammut americanum
(American mastodon)
Sculpted by Doug Watson for Safari, Ltd.

This one's a real beauty, the detailed hair is incredibly complex and great care has been taken to consider how the fibers would conform to the body while the animal moved. Also, I never take the care to read the dimensions before ordering these things, so it's rather bigger than I expected  :o Fine by me, but not a great help to my limited space issues. Overall, it's excellent, and I'm glad to finally have a mastodon joining the ranks.

Shonisaurus

What has been said is the mastodon that I had always liked to have and the one that comes closest to the paleontological recreations done now and always.

A ten for Doug  8) and thanks to Patrx for those masterful photographs.  :)

Patrx

More mammals today, folks, but not to worry, it's back to dinosaurs before too long!

Daeodon shoshonensis
("Dreadful teeth")

This one's a real standout to me this year, despite being a mere mammal. It looks uniquely believable compared to most entelodont reconstructions, with convincing soft tissue around its face giving it an almost carnivoran countenance. I suppose, when it comes to well-known prehistoric mammals, it could be tempting to assume we've basically solved their life appearance on the first go, since we have mammals around to extrapolate from. But, research has continued, and with entelodonts looking to be more like hippos than pigs, this fleshy face makes a good deal of sense.

Here's a comparison with a more traditional reconstruction of Daeodon; that being Malcolm Mlodoch's FaunaCasts version.

Megacerops
(big-horned face")

A surprisingly interesting take on everyone's favorite definitely-not-actually-a-rhinoceros. Replaced the slightly-goofy Mojo version.

Macrauchenia
("long llama")
Safari, Ltd.

I admit to being a little ignorant of litoptern paleobiology. I know that discussion continues over the nature (or even potential absence) of the trunk, and there are some suggesting that the overall build of the animal would be a little more heavyset. For now, this figure does a pretty good job representing its clade, though - and, it just looks nice!

PhilSauria

Great close up photos, though this does tend to show off some of the deficiencies in the paintwork which is not meant to be seen at such close proximity. These still look great though, and I like the nod to Carnegie with the golden eye on the Megacerops. Only a couple of these have made their way out to us here in the colonies so I'm a bit envious of members who have been able to get hold of the new figures already. Oh well, more time to put money aside for a bit of a spend up when these are available! Thanks for sharing.

Patrx

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 14, 2018, 10:07:50 PM
Great close up photos, though this does tend to show off some of the deficiencies in the paintwork which is not meant to be seen at such close proximity. These still look great though, and I like the nod to Carnegie with the golden eye on the Megacerops. Only a couple of these have made their way out to us here in the colonies so I'm a bit envious of members who have been able to get hold of the new figures already. Oh well, more time to put money aside for a bit of a spend up when these are available! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Yes, factory painting never quite holds up to extremely close scrutiny, although I think these particular pieces are without any major paint flaws. In any case, the quality of the paintwork on any figure is a distant second priority from the nature of the sculpt, for me. Some figures do seem to demand repainting, though :)

PhilSauria

Agreed with the sculpt and repaints. At the moment I am part way through re-painting the bight orange Fave Co Spinosaurus to match the colours of the larger desktop version. Shades of grey basically but more naturalistic than bright orange! So case in point there of a nice sculpt but questionable paint job, even though the look of the animal is somewhat old school in light of recent re-assessments. Not far off beginning to post my collection so the result will be in one of those images.

tanystropheus

"Replaced the slightly-goofy Mojo version."

LOL. I didn't realize that my Mojo version was slightly goofy. I was actually planning on introducing the WS version as a mating pair.  ;)

Doug Watson

These still look great though, and I like the nod to Carnegie with the golden eye on the Megacerops.

Hey there, I have read a similar comment before about "golden eyes" on my Safari Ltd pieces so I thought I would clarify. First it is not a nod to Carnegie, I have very few Carnegies in my collection and to tell the truth I have never really looked closely at their eyes. Colouring of extinct fauna is totally left up to the artist Safari Ltd doesn't get involved except for final approval. Second they aren't gold. I think the only time I have used actual gold for an eye was on my Dunkleosteus. The colour is actually Raw Siennna. There may be a touch of Burnt Sienna or Umber as well. I base most of my mammalian eyes on extant mammals. A lot of modern mammals have what are called straw coloured eyes by taxidermists. Most of my mammal eyes range from dark brown, reddish brown to sienna. But no gold. Gold is usually reserved for fish, reptiles and amphibians. Since it is hard to tell feelings in text let me be clear this didn't upset me I just wanted to clarify the point since I had seen this at least once before.

Shonisaurus

I have the megacerops since last December 28 of last year and I can attest that what Doug says is true. It does not have a golden eye, the pupil is black and the iris is normal brown (I do not understand a lot of colors) but it is not even a golden color.  :)

Patrx

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 15, 2018, 04:26:41 AM
At the moment I am part way through re-painting the bight orange Fave Co Spinosaurus to match the colours of the larger desktop version. Shades of grey basically but more naturalistic than bright orange! So case in point there of a nice sculpt but questionable paint job, even though the look of the animal is somewhat old school in light of recent re-assessments. Not far off beginning to post my collection so the result will be in one of those images.
Good idea! I always liked the desktop model - and, as much as I appreciate colorful dinosaurs, that uniform neon orange the never quite convinced me, either  :))

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 15, 2018, 04:58:19 AM
LOL. I didn't realize that my Mojo version was slightly goofy. I was actually planning on introducing the WS version as a mating pair.  ;)
Hah, only very slightly! Had the Safari version never appeared, I would have gladly kept the Mojo on the shelf without another thought; it does look pretty good. But, with the two side-by-side, though they could be a pair, I feel the texturing and facial features are a little more believable in Safari's figure.

Thanks for that info about the eyes, Doug! I can confirm that they are indeed not a glittery, Carnegie gold.

Patrx

Regaliceratops peterhewsi
("Peter Hews' royal horned face")
This year's wacky North American ceratopsid from Safari is really lovely - stellar detail, neutrally-oriented hands, and a really nice paint scheme which is subtle and simple without being boring.

Triceratops horridus
("horrid three-horned face")
As nice as the Regaliceratops is, it might be overshadowed by this big beast - the skin details from Lane are represented really nicely here, even including the rectangular scutes on the ventral surface. No impressions have been found to reveal the texture of Triceratops' face, but this is a fair extrapolation from what we do have.
However, Mark Witton has recently been writing about skeletal correlates for keratin, and keratin growth in general, which has produced a fairly different look for Triceratops' face. I may look into doing some customization on this one.

Ankylosaurus magniventris
("broad-bellied fused reptile")
Lastly, the iconic walking tank, Ankylosaurus. A real beauty, despite any reservations about the scale of the, er, scales. The arrangement of the armor is entirely plausible and evidence-based, and the proportions and anatomy are excellent. There's enough little bits and details that the factory paint is invariably going to be a bit off, and while it does look nice as-is (I like the colors), I may attempt a repaint someday just to tidy it up a little. Replaced the Carnegie version.

Megalosaurus

Beautiful pictures Patrx. Are you using a profesional camera?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Patrx

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 19, 2018, 12:19:12 AM
Beautiful pictures Patrx. Are you using a profesional camera?

Thank you! The camera I'm currently using is a Panasonic Lumix GH3, a relatively simple but very functional Micro Four Thirds camera. The older photos in this thread were taken with my old Canon Powershot G9. The Panasonic is much more capable and versatile, but I still feel like I have a lot to learn about things like lighting. Hopefully, the photos in this thread have improved with time, and will continue to do so :)

PhilSauria

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 15, 2018, 01:15:32 PM
These still look great though, and I like the nod to Carnegie with the golden eye on the Megacerops.

Hey there, I have read a similar comment before about "golden eyes" on my Safari Ltd pieces so I thought I would clarify. First it is not a nod to Carnegie, I have very few Carnegies in my collection and to tell the truth I have never really looked closely at their eyes. Colouring of extinct fauna is totally left up to the artist Safari Ltd doesn't get involved except for final approval. Second they aren't gold. I think the only time I have used actual gold for an eye was on my Dunkleosteus. The colour is actually Raw Siennna. There may be a touch of Burnt Sienna or Umber as well. I base most of my mammalian eyes on extant mammals. A lot of modern mammals have what are called straw coloured eyes by taxidermists. Most of my mammal eyes range from dark brown, reddish brown to sienna. But no gold. Gold is usually reserved for fish, reptiles and amphibians. Since it is hard to tell feelings in text let me be clear this didn't upset me I just wanted to clarify the point since I had seen this at least once before.
Apologies Doug and pardon my ignorance. Didn't mean to imply any borrowing from other sources and in that moment of ignorance I probably had that 'nod' phrase rattling around in my head from something else I read and should have done some fact checking before using it! Can't always tell how colours will be perceived on the various computer screens calibrated to varying degrees of accuracy around the globe. Just to clarify I have the utmost respect for your work and the figures of yours in my collection I consider to be among the better pieces on show among the various brands purchased over the years. Bottom line; point taken and thanks for the clarification.

Patrx

Now, for something moderately different, movie "dinosaurs"!

This piece by iToy works as a pretty decent Jurassic Park "Dilophosaurus", and honestly it was worth the purchase just for that stellar base. Of course, it's not in scale with that little Jeep there, but scale is just not on my list of things to give a darn about.

And here's one of REBOR's "Compsognathus", based on the spindly little land piranhas from The Lost World: Jurassic Park. There is a bigger, better version from"Dino Dream", but space and money absolutely are on my list of things to give a darn about. Thanks to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres for selling this one to me so that I could avoid paying REBOR directly  ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: