You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Albertosaurus sarcophagus - new sculpture in progress

Started by fabricious, May 02, 2014, 12:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabricious

Thanks, haha. Materials have been ordered (and bankrupted me, haha), so now I will have to wait for them to arrive before I can continue. Luckily (or is it a bad thing?) I simply started a second, tiny model in the same scale and will most likely start on my new commission (a Shinisaurus crocodilurus) soon as well. I'll keep you posted. ;)

SpittersForEver

fabricious

Thanks a lot! If you're interested in the resin kit, just let me know via PM. ;)

Paleogene Pals

What is your second, tiny model in the same scale gonna be? May I be so bold as to ask?

fabricious

It's something I wanted to do for quite a while, actually. A (very speculative) Struthiosaurus austriacus, the only dinosaur ever to be found in Austria.

It's about 10cm long and those scales are hard to sculpt, haha.

fabricious

I just got the notification that the molding and casting materials have been sent away. If I am lucky, they will arrive monday or tuesday. Exciting news, I can't wait for this bad boy to be molded! :D

fabricious

Alright, the materials arrived at my friend's place today! I should receive them either later today or tomorrow (depending on my spare time), so molding can begin this weekend. I'm very excited about this whole thing! :D

Also, I broke the toes on the 'standing' leg yesterday and repositioned them, so the assembled sculpture looks more like it's leaning forward instead of upwards (which was a bit of an issue due to the foot positioning).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Cool. I can't wait to see your first completed one !

fabricious

Since I had a lot of other stuff to do, I couldn't start molding yet (which is a bit bothering). The materials are standing next to me and screaming at me to use them finally. I think that means that I'll be starting to make the molds for the head and arms today, at least. Wish me luck! ;)

fabricious

Paleogene Pals

Good, I can't wait for your castings! Will you be doing a WIP series of photos, just to see your casting process? Curious.

fabricious

I already cast the first test piece, but I can take pictures of the two halves for the head, if you want! Once I start working on the other parts, I can do a WIP-walkthrough (although I am nowhere near to being a master!) :)

Here is the first head piece, sadly the neck spines did not get filled properly and a piece of the neck end itself got missing, but at least the teeth turned out much better than anticipated.

I'll do a second cast for you right away, so you get all the details! ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Good luck ! Molding and casting is one of those things I've not quite mastered yet.

fabricious

Thanks Blade! I hope I got all the air traps removed this time. Nerve-racking ten minutes to come! :D

Paleogene Pals

Looking like good progress! I just watched a Smooth-On video on You Tube about two-part mold making. It looks easier than it is. However, this is something that I think I should try. It would be interesting to me to see how another artist does it.

fabricious

There has been a distinct lack of progress with this, thanks to university and various other stuff. I will keep you updated and will be posting more pictures soon!

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

fabricious

Alright, I finally got to work on the molds for this guy again. Here you see the torso being molded, and I already need more materials. This piece is taking up so much space that it already ate a whole pack of silicone rubber. Only one left for the other half, then I'll be ordering more stuff.
Apologies to Paleogene Pals, since this is taking much longer than anticipated!

brandem

What chem set are you using? I use the max mold 14nv but looks like you have something else going on there

fabricious

I am using Mold Star 16/fast for this one! First time using the product and I quite like it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: