News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Deinocheirus skull

Started by Funk, May 06, 2014, 05:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Has the paper on this been published yet?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

HD-man

Quote from: Funk on June 24, 2014, 08:00:44 PM
QuoteWhat other non-bird examples are there (besides maybe troodonts, which seem more like mesocarnivores than actual omnivores)?
Limusaurus and perhaps Elaphrosaurus as well.

Still seems like a stretch to say "a lot of theropods".
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Gwangi

Quote from: HD-man on August 14, 2014, 11:25:19 PM
Quote from: Funk on June 24, 2014, 08:00:44 PM
QuoteWhat other non-bird examples are there (besides maybe troodonts, which seem more like mesocarnivores than actual omnivores)?
Limusaurus and perhaps Elaphrosaurus as well.

Still seems like a stretch to say "a lot of theropods".

I guess that depends on what you consider "a lot" to be. There are "a lot" of species of ornithomimosaurs and "a lot" of species of oviraptorosaurs aren't there? It's really a subjective term isn't it? Those two clades along with oddballs like Limusaurus and Elaphrosaurus and possibly Troodon and lets not forget the Therizinosaurs constitute as "a lot" in my book.

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on August 14, 2014, 11:36:02 PMI guess that depends on what you consider "a lot" to be. There are "a lot" of species of ornithomimosaurs and "a lot" of species of oviraptorosaurs aren't there? It's really a subjective term isn't it? Those two clades along with oddballs like Limusaurus and Elaphrosaurus and possibly Troodon and lets not forget the Therizinosaurs constitute as "a lot" in my book.

Fair enough, although I was specifically referring to omnivores (as opposed to herbivores like the therizinosaurs).

stargatedalek

theres no consensus on therizinosaurs being entirely herbivorous

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 15, 2014, 12:35:36 AM
theres no consensus on therizinosaurs being entirely herbivorous

Heck, I'm of the opinion that some ceratopsians and ornithopods may not have been entirely herbivorous but I suppose that topic is for another thread. Lets face it though, there are few pure carnivores or herbivores in the world. I'm sure it was the same with extinct dinosaurs as well.

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 15, 2014, 12:35:36 AMtheres no consensus on therizinosaurs being entirely herbivorous

Actually, there is ("The present consensus, however, is that therizinosaurs fed on plants. In support of this hypothesis is the expansive belly and hips, which might indicate a large fermentation chamber for processing hard-to-digest leaves and stems. In this case, these dinosaurs would be the only known herbivorous theropods": http://books.google.com/books?id=0M8WAQAAMAAJ&q=%22The+present+consensus,+however,+is+that+therizinosaurs%22&dq=%22The+present+consensus,+however,+is+that+therizinosaurs%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OovtU-LHMZOjyQSF8YLoDw&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA ).

Quote from: Gwangi on August 15, 2014, 01:30:27 AMHeck, I'm of the opinion that some ceratopsians and ornithopods may not have been entirely herbivorous but I suppose that topic is for another thread. Lets face it though, there are few pure carnivores or herbivores in the world. I'm sure it was the same with extinct dinosaurs as well.

I get what you're saying. However, we should still be able to use general terms (E.g. Herbivore, carnivore, omnivore, etc) & know what we're talking about without unnecessary nit-picking (E.g. Cows/deer aren't herbivorous b/c some populations sometimes eat meat herpy derby derp!!1!!). If someone wants to more specific terms when talking about a specific group/species (like I did when talking about troodonts), fine.

P.S. I'm not complaining about anything you did, Gwangi. I'm just complaining in general b/c I was reminded of how some ppl are annoying like that.

Yutyrannus

Hello? Has the paper been published yet?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 15, 2014, 05:56:52 AM
Isnt that being a bit silly ?It was only a month or two ago that the skull was located and returned. I doubt anyone has had enough time to mount a serious study let alone issue a peer reviewed paper . Sometimes these finds take years to be written up....for instance we still have nothing official for Lane the triceratops. Generally the first step is conservation, cleaning and preserving the fossil, then it is generally studied
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Dinoguy2

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 15, 2014, 08:44:14 AM
Isnt that being a bit silly ?It was only a month or two ago that the skull was located and returned. I doubt anyone has had enough time to mount a serious study let alone issue a peer reviewed paper . Sometimes these finds take years to be written up....for instance we still have nothing official for Lane the triceratops. Generally the first step is conservation, cleaning and preserving the fossil, then it is generally studied

Check back in 5-10 years, unless somebody's planning a quickie letter to Nature...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Yutyrannus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 15, 2014, 08:44:14 AM
Okay, thanks!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.