News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pegasus models

Started by s.foulkes, May 13, 2014, 06:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinosaurdungeon

Quote from: s.foulkes on May 14, 2014, 04:01:12 PM
I just finished the Paint up on the Prototype for the Spinosaur. its nice. the model is supposed to be JPlike. I will find out from Larry who sculpted it. I got the nod for doing all the build ups for the box art on all dino models for him and he also decided to commission me for all of their Prehistoric line of kits! Yes its a Liopleurodon in 1/24th.He wanted to create a line of Prehistoric kits that were more accurate to science so he called on me.  Not sure why everyone wishes it was not in 1/24th? he wants all of this line to be the same scale to one another and I agree. the Real Liopleurodon Ferox, this animal is the most complete Lio speices and measures 23 ft. so this Creature is not the monster seen in BBC documentaries but more closer to Orca size but not as heavy. about 2.8 to 3 tons. The spinosaur will be released first then the Lio. like I said both the Spino and Lio will make their debut showing at WonderFest this Month. the Spino is actually in production and the Lio which I am finishing now will be the original sculpt prior to tooling it for the factory.

Well now that I know more are coming on the same scale, I'll be buying them. I wait till Wonderfest to see them in person. 1/24 is fine. David Silva has a new 1/24 scale Acrocanthosaurus coming to the show as well.

tyrantqueen

I'll be purchasing the 1/24. 1/15 is too big for me, but anything around 1/20 is fine. It's cool to see a kit cast in vinyl for once.

Didn't someone mention a Baryonyx, or was that my imagination?

Paleogene Pals

The reason I'm obsessed about scale is that my collection is in 1/18 to 1/20 scale. The reason for that is that the first kits I bought were Kaiyodo Dinoland in 1/20 scale. Since, for various reasons, I want to use my models to do size comparisons between various creatures, they roughly must be in the same scale.

Having said that...Shane, I assume that your Liop based on a 23-foot individual will be around 11 inches long. Since the size range for this creature is 5 to 7 meters, the Pegasus model would still fall into that range at 1/20 scale as well. Therefore, I can add it to my collection when it comes out. Besides, as you told me earlier, these sizes are averages and estimates at best. I just have to convince my OCD of this.  :-\

Anyway, looking forward to your Pegasus Liopleurodon, it will be epic!

dinosaurdungeon

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on May 14, 2014, 06:24:48 PM
The reason I'm obsessed about scale is that my collection is in 1/18 to 1/20 scale. The reason for that is that the first kits I bought were Kaiyodo Dinoland in 1/20 scale. Since, for various reasons, I want to use my models to do size comparisons between various creatures, they roughly must be in the same scale.

Having said that...Shane, I assume that your Liop based on a 23-foot individual will be around 11 inches long. Since the size range for this creature is 5 to 7 meters, the Pegasus model would still fall into that range at 1/20 scale as well. Therefore, I can add it to my collection when it comes out. Besides, as you told me earlier, these sizes are averages and estimates at best. I just have to convince my OCD of this.  :-\

Anyway, looking forward to your Pegasus Liopleurodon, it will be epic!
I'm the same way. I want to have one huge collection all at the same scale.

s.foulkes

Well that's why I offer kits in 1/10th ,1/15th , 1/20th, 1/30th and 1/40th and now Pegasus will be offering some of mine in 1/24th so there ya go, something for everyone.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

tyrantqueen

I can't wait for Wonderfest, and I'm not even attending (or even in the right country to do so) :o

tyrantqueen

Here is the Spinosaurus and the Liopleurodon that we were discussing earlier:

I got the photos from the Clubhouse forum, so credit goes to them for taking the photo.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Liop looks great ! The Spino would look good chasing some people on a certain island off the coast of Costa Rica.. ;)

caspakian

I will get them both just so I can get the xiphactinus and the ichthyosaur!

modelnut

I just now saw that Xiphactinus! I was complaining less than a year ago that no one made a model or figure of this monster fish.

I'm glad someone was listening.  :D

- Leelan

Paleogene Pals

Are you talking about the fish at the feet of the spinosaur or something else?

Paleogene Pals

Because Xiphactinus lived in the Western Interior Seaway and Europe during the Late Cretaceous. Spinosaurus lived in North Africa from the Early to Late Cretaceous. Plus, Xiphactinus was more open marine; I doubt the two would have had a chance to meet often.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I guess it could been blown of course killed in a storm then drifted in on the tide ?  lol

Actually Malcolm made a really nice model of one as well...just the fish itself.

tyrantqueen

It's a Jurassic Park Spinosaurus- they must have cloned the fish too >:D If a Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus can meet, they must have figured a Spinosaurus and Xiphactinus could have too. Either that, or someone forgot to do their homework.

Simon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 22, 2014, 07:08:45 PM
It's a Jurassic Park Spinosaurus- they must have cloned the fish too >:D If a Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus can meet, they must have figured a Spinosaurus and Xiphactinus could have too. Either that, or someone forgot to do their homework.

Well, Galileo is known for his JP-stylized TRex and Spinosaurus (in addition to more accurate dino-sculpts).  They may have wanted critters that were a little more recognizable for marketability purposes.  So, viewed that way, Xiphanctus could be a way to "spice up" the fish, instead of making a giant garfish.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on June 22, 2014, 11:14:45 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 22, 2014, 07:08:45 PM

Well, Galileo is known for his JP-stylized TRex and Spinosaurus (in addition to more accurate dino-sculpts).  They may have wanted critters that were a little more recognizable for marketability purposes.  So, viewed that way, Xiphanctus could be a way to "spice up" the fish, instead of making a giant garfish.
I've never seen him do a Spinosaurus that wasn't JP influenced. Even his Suchomimus looked like Crash McCreery's brainchild. That's all fine and dandy, but I don't care for the JP designs and I think I'll skip this one. 

Paleogene Pals

I guess if it JP-influenced then such a pairing would be possible...perhaps. The Spino escapes its paddock and finds the fish.

modelnut

In "Planet Dinosaur" Spinosaurus is shown eating Ochopristis. And it shows fossil evidence to back that up. Onchopristis was a giant sawfish of the early Cretaceous. Safari LTD makes a sawfish figure that is 26 cm long. That would be 6.24 meters in 24th scale. Oncho got to 8 meter so it should fit in the scene I hope. So the Xiphactinus would then be a bonus kit like the spare white shark head in Pegasus white shark kit (which I am sculpting a body for.)

I made a chart of the models we can expect from Pegasus within the year.

I have human figures in 24th scale and I just ordered a model of the family car. I will place these on the shelf with the dinosaur kits to give anyone who sees it a size reference. The Apatosaurus I am going to sculpt myself for my lovely wife, Kat, since it's her favorite dinosaur.

BTW 1/24 is G scale here in the States. There are a lot of human and animal figures available in this scale for train layouts. I believe that there are some pretty good elephant and rhino figures. They wouldn't make bad scale references for displaying next to your dinosaur models either. Hell, you can probably get the model SUV used in Jurassic Park and recreate any scene you want from the movie.

- Leelan

stargatedalek

that would be BBC's Planet Dinosaur, Dinosaur Planet was made by discovery channel almost a decade ago
easy mistake to make ;)

modelnut

Thank you!

Corrected. We just got the DVD this last week. We had the blu-ray. But it only played in Region 2. We are Region 1 here.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: