You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

From the North (of China) came the furry tyrannosaurs

Started by Horridus, April 04, 2012, 07:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphoceratops

Cool Stuff!  It was only a matter of time before something like this was found.  Now I gotta go back to all my illustrations and paint on some more feathers haha. 

Arioch

Quote from: SBell on April 04, 2012, 11:03:53 PM
Quote from: Arioch on April 04, 2012, 10:49:18 PM
Somehow the whole preening themselves thing would be a lot more problematic than overheating. But its no like ratite feathers need a lot more attention than fuzz and proper mammal hair....

Uh,  seems like this fella skull is not very tyrannosaur-like. More like a carnosaur, maybe carcharodontosaurid. Feathered non coelurosaurus? Please, DO WANT.  :))

http://www.box.com/s/07e3bcc867a4ddf112c0

It's probably less about the skull (which of course changes through species) and more about dental structure, which appear very tyrannosauroid.  It's the same reason Proceratosaurus was eventually determined to be a tyrannosauroid as well.  Note that it is tyrannosauroid, not tyrannosaurid. Different phylogenetic level.

I agree -with "tyrannosaur" I meant tyrannosauroid- , but without reading the paper and at first glance seems a lot like Concavenator skull. But then they do mention all this features (including the ressemblance with Conca), and I also noticed that the leg proportions seem rather coelurosaur like . This paper is too brief to my taste , though....

Gwangi

Good thing this didn't come out a couple days ago or I wouldn't have believed it but I'm honestly not surprised.  This sort of thing was bound to be found eventually but boy is it exciting. I'm sure the toy companies will be scrambling to make this guy...I hope they do anyway. What an awe inspiring site this beast must have been. I don't normally give newly discovered species favorite status but yeah...this is one of my new favorite dinosaurs. :)

SBell

Quote from: Arioch on April 04, 2012, 11:24:44 PM
Quote from: SBell on April 04, 2012, 11:03:53 PM
Quote from: Arioch on April 04, 2012, 10:49:18 PM
Somehow the whole preening themselves thing would be a lot more problematic than overheating. But its no like ratite feathers need a lot more attention than fuzz and proper mammal hair....

Uh,  seems like this fella skull is not very tyrannosaur-like. More like a carnosaur, maybe carcharodontosaurid. Feathered non coelurosaurus? Please, DO WANT.  :))

http://www.box.com/s/07e3bcc867a4ddf112c0

It's probably less about the skull (which of course changes through species) and more about dental structure, which appear very tyrannosauroid.  It's the same reason Proceratosaurus was eventually determined to be a tyrannosauroid as well.  Note that it is tyrannosauroid, not tyrannosaurid. Different phylogenetic level.

I agree -with "tyrannosaur" I meant tyrannosauroid- , but without reading the paper and at first glance seems a lot like Concavenator skull. But then they do mention all this features (including the ressemblance with Conca), and I also noticed that the leg proportions seem rather coelurosaur like . This paper is too brief to my taste , though....

Tyrannosaurs are coelurosaurs, or is that your point? It's a little hard to tell.  And leg proportion is meaningless when it comes to affinity anyway--lots of groups of animals have species that have developed adaptations to different lifestyles and environments (plus, Yutyrannus is still 'small' compared to Tyrannosaurus).

Arioch

I was just digressing out of excitement- and yes, both the particular skull and the legs could be subject of ontogenic changes.  Leg proportions (regarding tibia and femur) are actually significative, though not essential for the classification of a theropod as either carnosaur or coelurosaur. And what do you mean with the size difference?

SBell

Quote from: Arioch on April 05, 2012, 01:20:29 AM
I was just digressing out of excitement- and yes, both the particular skull and the legs could be subject of ontogenic changes.  Leg proportions (regarding tibia and femur) are actually significative, though not essential for the classification of a theropod as either carnosaur or coelurosaur. And what do you mean with the size difference?

Smaller species are generally proportioned differently, that's all.

Arioch

Quote from: SBell on April 05, 2012, 05:37:41 AM
Quote from: Arioch on April 05, 2012, 01:20:29 AM

Smaller species are generally proportioned differently, that's all.

Like you said that actually depend on the lifestyle and another factors; see the stocky legs of dromaeosaurs and the running hindlimbs of carnotaurus. Tyrannosauroids on the other hand seem to have quite an standard runner build and even he biggest form -think an adult rexy- could be significantly faster than an analogue sized carnosaur- more a fast walker than a proper runner though. Fair enough :)

PS: Darren Naish thought it could be a carcharodontosaurid too, seems like it wasn´t such a crazy idea after all... : http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/2012/04/04/giant-feathered-tyrannosaurs/

suspsy

What a wonderful discovery! And who else is excited by the prospect of a future Yutyrannus toy? :D
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Horridus

Quote from: suspsy on April 05, 2012, 06:35:51 PM
And who else is excited by the prospect of a future Yutyrannus toy? :D
Me! It'd be perfect for the Carnegie Collection.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

paleoferroequine

Yes, a Carnegie figure would be cool! ;D But I bet CollectA will be first. In the meantime I'll have to figure out what current figure I can modify.
What's kind of funny is they are given goatees on their chinny chin chins! :o

Gwangi

I'm kind of curious about that goatee, is there evidence for that or is it just artistic license? Hopefully they do a study on this guy like they did with Microraptor and figure out what color it was. That would be intense.

Arioch

Well, that study is going on as we speak...

"Xu is now attempting to reconstruct the colours of Yutyrannus huali's feathers"

I´d say the goatee is just an artistic license. Not so unlikely if you ask me...

Gwangi

Quote from: Arioch on April 05, 2012, 10:01:57 PM

"Xu is now attempting to reconstruct the colours of Yutyrannus huali's feathers"

I´d say the goatee is just an artistic license. Not so unlikely if you ask me...

Sweet  8) I don't know about the goatee though, seems like it would get caked up in blood and such. Maybe the simple act of drinking would be enough to keep it clean.

ZoPteryx

What an amazing discovery! :o Unfortunately, I'm sure a backlash of "they're just tendons or fungus or something!" is soon to emerge. :-\

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 04, 2012, 08:06:31 PM
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Feather Haters suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced!
;D >:D ;D

Quote from: paleoferroequine on April 05, 2012, 06:49:06 PM
Yes, a Carnegie figure would be cool! ;D But I bet CollectA will be first. In the meantime I'll have to figure out what current figure I can modify.
Yeah, I'd say CollectA will be first and then Carnegie will make one the following year.  As for a modifying a figure, I'd recommend the CollectA Eotyrannus; it's about the right size and already has feathers.

Now that will be even cooler!  Animals tend to keep similar color schemes in their family, so it could help us interpret what colors T. rex might have had! :))

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Zopteryx on April 06, 2012, 12:36:22 AM

Now that will be even cooler!  Animals tend to keep similar color schemes in their family, so it could help us interpret what colors T. rex might have had! :))

Not really.  It would still be cool to know what color it was though. 

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on April 06, 2012, 02:53:42 AM
Quote from: Zopteryx on April 06, 2012, 12:36:22 AM

Not really.  It would still be cool to know what color it was though.

I just meant that if this tyrannosauroid turns out to be colorful, it means that its bigger relatives could be colorful as well and not the subtle earth-tones they're normally restored with.  Nothing is guaranteed of course. ;)

Seijun

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

robustus_

I can't copy and paste the article due to computer problems, but look it up if you haven't. Here's a little teaser:

IT'S A THIRTY-FOOT-LONG, FEATHERED TYRANNOSAUROID.

robustus_

And I was all excited about starting the new topic in the Dinosaurs section :(

Anyway, this find is outstanding. I'd love to see what the color studies show.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: RobbieSKatz on April 08, 2012, 05:05:32 PM
I can't copy and paste the article due to computer problems, but look it up if you haven't. Here's a little teaser:

IT'S A THIRTY-FOOT-LONG, FEATHERED TYRANNOSAUROID.

You're late to the party! I'll merge your post with the existing thread :)
http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,228.0.html

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: