News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Makerbot Tyrannosaurus skeleton

Started by tyrantqueen, May 15, 2014, 10:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Was doing some googling and found this https://digitalstore.makerbot.com/t-rex-skeleton

It seems to be 1/20 in scale. It also appears that what is being sold is actually the files you need to print out for the skeleton, with your own 3D printer. I don't have a 3D printer, but I wish there was a way I could own this model. Maybe if there was a company that you could hire that would do the printing for you...

It reminds me a bit of the discontined Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus skeleton, which I am still searching for.

brandem

http://wiki.metrixcreatespace.com/3d-printers
This might give you ideas for working out a way to get your model

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brandem on May 15, 2014, 12:43:10 PM
http://wiki.metrixcreatespace.com/3d-printers
This might give you ideas for working out a way to get your model
Thanks, I might give it a try.

postsaurischian

When making a Tyrannosaurus skeleton sculpt nowadays, one should not forget that additional abdominal ribcage thing (please help me out with the English word).

The old Dinoland skeleton already had it.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 16, 2014, 01:20:49 PM
When making a Tyrannosaurus skeleton sculpt nowadays, one should not forget that additional abdominal ribcage thing (please help me out with the English word).

The old Dinoland skeleton already had it.
The gastralia ;)

I do realise they are missing, but it's something a lot of model makers miss out, so this one isn't any exception to the rule. It's a shame (along with the positioning of the hands) but I still like it.

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 16, 2014, 01:22:33 PM
I do realise they are missing, but it's something a lot of model makers miss out, so this one isn't any exception to the rule. It's a shame (along with the positioning of the hands) but I still like it.

I like it too, but I would think about spending too much money for a model with such a fault. If the price was right, that's another thing.
I recommend the Gakken Araki model. The German re-release is pretty cheap and it's exactly the same Gakken model. But maybe it's too small for you (1:30) ..... oh, and it has the gastralia - thanks for this vocable :).

tyrantqueen

Simon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 28, 2014, 01:26:39 PM
If anyone is interested, you can buy the printed skeleton here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-Printed-T-rex-Tyrannosaurs-Rex-Skeleton-79-piece-Model-Kit-GLOW-IN-THE-DARK/291151546532?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D7218329992800039977%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D371026158848

I ordered myself one (in just plain white), and I'll post it in my collections thread if anyone is curious :)

I will give you that the price seems reasonable.  However, after a closer look I was compelled to send the seller the following message:

"Dude - please tell whoever designed this kit to fix two glaring errors:

1.  The lower Gastralia ribs are missing (and trust me, just the inclusion of this overlooked feature would increase your sales among knowledgeable people by a TON);

2.  The G-D hands need to be fixed - they are pronated (bunny-like) which is wrong, wrong, WRONG!  The hands need to be facing inward (palms facing each other like its about to clap);

Only then should you boast about the model's "Accuracy"."

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on May 28, 2014, 06:15:07 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 28, 2014, 01:26:39 PM
If anyone is interested, you can buy the printed skeleton here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-Printed-T-rex-Tyrannosaurs-Rex-Skeleton-79-piece-Model-Kit-GLOW-IN-THE-DARK/291151546532?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D7218329992800039977%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D371026158848

I ordered myself one (in just plain white), and I'll post it in my collections thread if anyone is curious :)

I will give you that the price seems reasonable.  However, after a closer look I was compelled to send the seller the following message:

"Dude - please tell whoever designed this kit to fix two glaring errors:

1.  The lower Gastralia ribs are missing (and trust me, just the inclusion of this overlooked feature would increase your sales among knowledgeable people by a TON);

2.  The G-D hands need to be fixed - they are pronated (bunny-like) which is wrong, wrong, WRONG!  The hands need to be facing inward (palms facing each other like its about to clap);

Only then should you boast about the model's "Accuracy"."

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
I know about all those faults. I'm still looking for the Kaiyodo skeleton, but even that one has a fault with the hands.

Simon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 28, 2014, 07:22:38 PM

I know about all those faults. I'm still looking for the Kaiyodo skeleton, but even that one has a fault with the hands.

The hands can be easily fixed.  The gastralia not so much.  How hard would it have been to create them?  The only hope would be that the "sculptor" adds them to the digital model ....

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on May 29, 2014, 12:19:19 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 28, 2014, 07:22:38 PM

The hands can be easily fixed.  The gastralia not so much.  How hard would it have been to create them? The only hope would be that the "sculptor" adds them to the digital model ....
I don't know who the original sculptor actually is. Maybe if I knew who was responsible for it, I could contact them and offer some critique regarding the hands and gastralia. All I know is that the sculpt was created by this group http://www.thingiverse.com/Curriculum/overview

I might consider sculpting my own. Or maybe commission one of our 3D artists to sculpt some...

Simon

Here is the response from the ebay seller:

"Thanks for the feedback. It may have been omitted due to 3D printing
limitation for FDM. Also the arms are able to rotate and position it to
your liking.

It's ofcourse not 100% accurate but it's very close to the
real thing.

-makercoast"

brandem

What? Does  that thing have pivots in it? I may need to think about getting one it that's the case.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brandem on May 29, 2014, 03:12:01 AM
What? Does  that thing have pivots in it? I may need to think about getting one it that's the case.
It rotates at the shoulder joint:

Given the angle at which the arm is, I don't think it will neutralise the hands, though. One thing I do like, however, is that they included the vestigial third finger. Afaik, Kaiyodo's nor Favorite's models included that.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.