News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Awesome new pose. I've always been curious as to how well Shapeways works for the 1/20 kits. I think there's one on there now but I don't know of anyone who's actually bought and tried it.

fabricious

The new pose is now available in 1/40 scale. If I feel like it, I'll add the 1/72 version as well (or make the dead one available in 1/40, first).

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2988019/old-bull-pachyrhinosaurus-canadensis-1-40.html?li=aeTabs&materialId=6

fabricious

Manatee

I love the head! Is it for an Albertosaurus? Also, I hate to be nagging, but do you know when the Struthiosaurus will be released?

fabricious

This is actually going to be the biggest cousin ol'Albert ever had. ;) Will continue working on it now, to get a full T. rex out some time soon.

Also, I cannot say when the Struthiosaurus will be on shapeways, since I'll first have to talk to my clients about it (and we didn't stay in contact over the holidays).

fabricious

Screenshot of the whole model so far:

Roughly based on Sue.

Manatee

Oh, it's a T. rex! I just randomly guessed a non-T. rex tyrannosaur because of your older brown model. It didn't ever really look like Albertosaurus at all, in hindsight.

fabricious

Initially, I wanted to avoid making a T. rex, due to the fact that almost EVERY paleoartist draws or sculpts one, sooner or later. Well, now I went with the 'sooner', so be it. :D

Tallin

Hello! I spent a good long while looking through this thread and it was worth it! These sculpts are incredible and so detailed! I'm actually studying visual effects at the moment and am trying to learn Autodesk mudbox (which from what I can gather is similar to zbrush) and am finding getting started to be very difficult! If I may ask, when did you start digitally sculpting, and do you have any tips for someone learning the process?

fabricious

Hey Tallin, I'm glad you like my models! I actually only got into sculpting digitally sometime during 2014. Getting started was really very difficult for me as well, since I was only used to 2D-software like Photoshop or Illustrator. I spent a good amount of time watching lots and lots of tutorials on youtube and other sites, just to find my way around the interface and to see the workflow of different people. I still do that, since Zbrush is a very enormous program with so many different possibilities, that I can learn a thing or two from almost everyone using it. I hope this helps, good luck!

fabricious

A nice perspective and a couple of scales to call it a night. Tyrannosaurus really was a beast. Seeing those teeth and turning the model around... this thing was a tank with knives strapped to its head! Almost makes me want to create a counterpart for her as well... >D

fabricious

DinoLord

The scales on the lower jaw are a nice touch!

fabricious

Thanks! I've always been fond of the large scales on iguanas and water dragons, so I thought; why not add them to a highly territorial theropod that most likely got bitten in the face a lot? :)

Here I quickly closed the jaws to see if they needed fixing. Surprisingly, they fit very well!

spinosaurus1

fabricious

Thanks! I'm really pleased with the head. :)

Concavenator

fabricious

Quote from: Concavenator on January 04, 2015, 06:00:27 PM
Will you give it feathers?

Not for the shapeways version, no. I was playing around a bit with the 'fiber mesh' feature built into Zbrush, maybe I'll use that for an illustration. It will just be a shaggy coat, since I am (personally) no fan of the idea of (VERY) big theropods from warmer climates having full feathering. The biologist in me starts growling, then. ;)

Concavenator

Quote from: fabricious on January 04, 2015, 06:35:43 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on January 04, 2015, 06:00:27 PM
Will you give it feathers?

Not for the shapeways version, no. I was playing around a bit with the 'fiber mesh' feature built into Zbrush, maybe I'll use that for an illustration. It will just be a shaggy coat, since I am (personally) no fan of the idea of (VERY) big theropods from warmer climates having full feathering. The biologist in me starts growling, then. ;)

But did you know that feathers can also cool down the temperature of an animal?

fabricious

According to that, it would be counterproductive for elephants to lose almost all fur (same goes for rhinos). It might be true for smaller animals, but if you are a six ton behemoth, it is highly unlikely that cooling down would happen fast enough before the heat gets trapped underneath the feather coat again. It's not really a discussion I'm going to participate in, just like the one about 'who's biggest'. If paleontologists uncover solid evidence that T. rex had feathers, I'm going to roll with it. Until then I won't really bother.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: