News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabricious

From what I could gather, tyrannosaurids didn't evolve from already flying or gliding ancestors, so wing plumage doesn't make any sense to me. I also didn't include wing feathers in my Nanuqsaurus reconstruction, which is almost completely covered in protofeathers. I want to got a bit in between with the Albertosaurus.

Patrx

Display wings do seem like a plausible use for the reduced-yet-functional forelimbs of derived tyrannosaurs. Not attempting to sway you here, just thinking  aloud  :)) Your Albertosaurus looks very promising so far! Have you given any thought to other soft-tissue details yet, like lips or external nare placement?

fabricious

Concerning lips, I will most likely give him a covering lip on the top jaw but not on the bottom one, given the range downwards the upper teeth have (or could have had, for that matter) and seeing extant carnivores like felines or canines, who also have lower jaw lips that are beneath their upper canines. It makes more sense to me, personally, that a predator with such gigantic jaws would have an easier life with reduced lips on the bottom jaw to assist keeping the mouth clean after feeding.
Concerning external nares: I'll most likely do that on the go, really, haha. Same goes with ears.

Concavenator

First,Yutyrannus has a dense coat of feathers,so just a furry top is kind of inaccurate.But,again,Yutyrannus was relatively primitive in the tyrannosaur cladogram.That particular species doesn't show arm wings,instead,they are covered with feathers.But,as the tyrannosaur evolution progresses,the arms got shorter.Such arms would
have been unuseful,so a wing plumage coud have been used for display.Also,tyrannosaurs are very birdlike,more than what people imagine in general,just because they sre big in size doesn't mean they can't have bird properties.Also,Albertosaurus lived in a cold environment so a  full coat is appropiate.

Concavenator

Quote from: fabricious on October 07, 2014, 07:16:59 PM
Concerning lips, I will most likely give him a covering lip on the top jaw but not on the bottom one, given the range downwards the upper teeth have (or could have had, for that matter) and seeing extant carnivores like felines or canines, who also have lower jaw lips that are beneath their upper canines. It makes more sense to me, personally, that a predator with such gigantic jaws would have an easier life with reduced lips on the bottom jaw to assist keeping the mouth clean after feeding.
Concerning external nares: I'll most likely do that on the go, really, haha. Same goes with ears.
Also,why people depict theropods with lips lately?Actually,if spinosaurs,carcharodontosaurus and tyrannosaurs,they would have wounded the lips with their teeth.

fabricious

While it is true that there have been feather impressions found, it is not necessary, in my opinion, to depict every tyrannosaur the same way. The habitat may have been exposed to annual seasons, meaning that a dense coat of feathers could have been a disadvantage during warmer times of the year.
Yes, tyrannosaurs are very birdlike, but birdlike doesn't equal birds. I also didn't say they weren't feathered because they were big, so I don't really get your point there.

I read somewhere that there have been more and more clues found in the bone structure of theropod jaws that suggest the presence of lips, if I find the article again I'll share it in here. Spinosaurus was a very strangely built animal, so most likely it differed in facial features as well. Concerning tyrannosaurid teeth I already made my point clear in an earlier comment.

Patrx

Sounds to me like you know what you're doing! I remember reading some interesting info about theropod lips on "The Bite Stuff", Jamie Headden's blog. It seems like there's not really a good answer at hand just yet, so I applaud your well-thought-out approach. As to nostrils, there's this study from 2001, which is a bit old. Perhaps there's been some followup since then?
Frankly, I don't know much about the current thinking on tyrannosaur ears, hah.

EDIT: Found the blog post regarding lips, if you're interested: http://qilong.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/making-lip-of-it
Perhaps you've read it already!

fabricious

Thanks Patrx, I'll give it a look once I'm back on a computer, off to my better half now! ;)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Concavenator on October 07, 2014, 07:26:53 PM
Also,why people depict theropods with lips lately?Actually,if spinosaurs,carcharodontosaurus and tyrannosaurs,they would have wounded the lips with their teeth.
Mammals such as lions and tigers don't have that problem. Komodo dragons have sharp teeth and their lips are perfectly fine. I don't think theropods would be any different.

fabricious

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2014, 08:10:10 PM
Mammals such as lions and tigers don't have that problem. Komodo dragons have sharp teeth and their lips are perfectly fine. I don't think theropods would be any different.

That is true, but as I said, in both felines and canids the larger, upper canines are only covered by the upper lip and only rest on the outside of the lower jaw and lip (as seen, for example, here: http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/2644/2644,1178832188,1/stock-photo-head-and-shoulders-of-a-large-siberian-tiger-in-captivity-snarling-at-something-to-the-right-of-3273778.jpg note how there is a part underneath the canines where the lip is sort of turned outwards). This might be a good clue for the snouts of saber toothed cats as well, thus I am not really sure why theropods would have had such an enormous lower lip (with quite a bit of empty space in between if the jaw was opened, which would make for some quite flappy skin, since dinosaurs weren't know for their movable face muscles). All in all, quite an interesting topic to think about, with still a lot of space for artist's impressions, in my opinion. Lips are definitely easier to sculpt than teeth, I can tell you that! ;)

fabricious

Prancing Pachyrhinosaurus now available in 1/40 (has not been test-printed so far, since I only just managed to upload a proper version).

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2757312/prancing-pachyrhinosaurus-canadensis-1-40.html?li=aeTabs&key=35df9e2b478d9bed905e2d75cd0f397c

fabricious

Some of you might be pleased to hear/read that I finally got around to removing some problems with this guy. Started working on top of the old model (with new and improved sculpting skills!), should be available some time around this week. Happy monday, everyone!

fabricious

Evading Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis now available in 1/72. Rather thick walls, yet not more expensive than the prancing one. Finally figured out what was causing the troubles, so there you go! I'm really glad I could submit this one, I really enjoyed posing him! :)

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2758804/evading-pachyrhinosaurus-canadensis-1-72.html?materialId=6

If I get around to doing it today, I'll try submitting him in 1/40 as well. It might not work, however, since I only have a reduced version due to an error while working.

fabricious

Evading Pachyrhinosaurus now available in 1/40 (I'll post the link later, when I'm on my computer).

fabricious

'Phagon' almost ready for posing. ;)

There are a few troublesome areas, but they are mainly an issue if seen on the 3D-model and not visible for printing.

DinoLord

If this guy is available in 1/40 I fear my wallet may be getting lighter...

One thing though - did Saurophaganax have the slightly enlarged thumb claw like Allosaurus? Not sure if any forearm material from the species has been found.

fabricious

I based him roughly on different Saurophaganax-skeleton reconstructions as well as on Allosaurus, since they seem to be very closely related (if not the same genus).

He will be available both in 1/72 and 1/40, as long as the gods of preparing models are not against me. ;)

fabricious

If you happened to see this, you would want to be running already, I guess. Phagon in a stalking/hunting pose (without extremely wide opened jaws and monster-like roar... ;) )

Almost falling asleep now, more work tomorrow.

Patrx

Cool pose! The closed mouth is always nice to see.

fabricious

Thanks, Patrx! I am pleased with it so far, tilted the head some more and gave the arms more variation. Despite trying to shut down the program I worked on it some more, haha.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: