You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Wellnhoferia's prehistoric Sale and trading thread

Started by Wellnhoferia, June 23, 2014, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wellnhoferia

Natural History Museum Baryonyx

Papo Triceratops

Collecta Iguanodon

Natural History Museum Stegosaurus 

Natural History Museum Diplodocus

I may possibly be trading this one but I'm not entirely sure what it is but underneath it reads 'Cetiosaurus, Natural History Museum'

Collecta Liopleurodon

Natural History Museum Ankylosaur

Procon Baryonyx

Jurassic Park Dino Tracker set without estemmosuchus

I am interested in acquiring a schleich shonisaurus, kaiyodo, play visions prehistoric animals, Bullyland Spinophorosaurus, Albert Heijn Extinct Animal set: Steller's Sea Cow, Mammoth, Dodo, Quagga, Thylacine, etc..

Roselaar

Can't help you out on your wants, but I can tell you that Cetiosaurus belongs to the classic Invicta line, which is the golden oldie of British dinosaur museum lines from the late seventies to the early nineties. That Iguanodon incidentally is also a Collecta figure rather than a NHM specimen.

Gwangi

The Cetiosaurus is worth keeping not only because it is from the classic Invicta line but also because it represents the first sauropod described by science. The name means "whale lizard" because they couldn't comprehend a terrestrial animal so large, as I understand it anyway.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on June 23, 2014, 10:52:10 PM
The Cetiosaurus is worth keeping not only because it is from the classic Invicta line but also because it represents the first sauropod described by science. The name means "whale lizard" because they couldn't comprehend a terrestrial animal so large, as I understand it anyway.
Richard Owen thought that Cetiosaurus, and by extension all sauropods, must have lived in the ocean. He did not even believe it was a dinosaur at all, but some kind of sea dwelling reptile. I believe the name actually comes from the greek word, kèteios, meaning sea monster or some other.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 23, 2014, 11:23:24 PM
Richard Owen thought that Cetiosaurus, and by extension all sauropods, must have lived in the ocean. He did not even believe it was a dinosaur at all, but some kind of sea dwelling reptile. I believe the name actually comes from the greek word, kèteios, meaning sea monster or some other.

Sounds about right as I recall it. Cetiosaurus does indeed mean whale lizard. Whales belong to the order Cetacea which does indeed translate to "sea monster" in Ancient Greek but it was also used to describe any whale, shark or large fish. A broad definition really. In the case of Cetiosaurus however it is supposed to mean whale just as Cetology means the study of whales and not the study of sea monsters.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on June 24, 2014, 02:51:48 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 23, 2014, 11:23:24 PM

Sounds about right as I recall it. Cetiosaurus does indeed mean whale lizard. Whales belong to the order Cetacea which does indeed translate to "sea monster" in Ancient Greek but it was also used to describe any whale, shark or large fish. A broad definition really. In the case of Cetiosaurus however it is supposed to mean whale just as Cetology means the study of whales and not the study of sea monsters.
Ain't etymology fun? :D

Wellnhoferia

I have updated the list, I'm now also selling a NHM Ankylosaur and Procon Baryonyx

Hynerpeton

If possible could you post pics of your want list?
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Roselaar

Incidentally, Procon and Collecta are the same company, in case you did not yet know. The older (and lesser) sculpts carry the Procon brand.

I wish I knew more about the Albert Heijn figures. I first introduced them here after finding them on a flea market, but I know next to nothing about them, other than they were sold with ice cream at Albert Heijn supermarkets some years ago (I don't do groceries there so I never encountered them). I have no idea if there's more than five extinct figures in this line, except for the few lousy dinosaurs they also produced.

EDIT: where would we be without the Internet? :) Just found this:

http://everyoneweb.com/WA/DataFilesweggevertjes/AHDierentoetjes.pdf

Scroll down to page 6 and 7 and you'll find the extinct animal line consisted of eight figures, including the dinosaurs. Which means I at least got a complete set and I can stop wondering about missing pieces. :) They're from 2004, so they're older than I thought they were.

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Wellnhoferia

Yes, buidelwolf is German for thylacine, I think?

Roselaar

Quote from: Wellnhoferia on June 25, 2014, 12:15:34 AM
Yes, buidelwolf is German for thylacine, I think?

Dutch. Please don't compare us Dutchmen to Germans. :)

It's not a literal translation. 'Buidelwolf' means 'pouch wolf'.

Wellnhoferia

Ive updated my trade, I'm now also trading a jurassic park dino tracker set without the estemmosuchus

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:

Wellnhoferia

Yes, it's for sale in terms of money and figure trade

Hynerpeton

Quote from: Wellnhoferia on June 26, 2014, 09:31:32 PM
Yes, it's for sale in terms of money and figure trade

How much is it in buying?

Want anything else then what u have for trade to trade with?

You can pm me if u want too. :)
Walking With Monsers:

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.