You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Wish List of Shapeways pieces for our forum artists

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, June 29, 2014, 08:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I thought I would create a secondary thread to the Shapeways thread, designed simply to suggest or request models, that perhaps our resident artists can view and consider as they decide which pieces to put their efforts towards next. If I placed this in the wrong category admins feel free to place where best suited.

For my opening two requests, instead of asking for more psittacosaurus or basal ceratopsians this time , I wanted to request two basal but unique dinosaurs. My first request would be a nice sculpt of Plateosaurus, perhaps in a set of three poses, to make a nice diorama. Already having images of one of these guys painted like in the Zallinger mural.
My second request would be a lifesized infant Mussaurus. I believe this one is a prosauropod, and an infant would size out at around six inches.
What would be your two most desired requests, for the shapeways artists here to consider? :) :) :) :)
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SpittersForEver

Well I'd have a 1/32 scale amargasaurus and a 1/12 compsagnathus

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: SpittersForEver on June 29, 2014, 10:54:30 AM
Well I'd have a 1/32 scale amargasaurus and a 1/12 compsagnathus
Gorgonzola did a whole set of them, but they were 1/40 I believe rather than 1/32.....there is also a compy offered by someone here on the forum, but it does not state its size precisely. Compsognathus would be another awesome figure to do !!! Very few models or replicas of it out there
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Galileo already created a Plateosaurus, in both 1/40 and 1/72 scale:

As for me, I'd like to see more baby animals. Or maybe eggs from different species, such as titanosaur eggs.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 29, 2014, 02:10:08 PM
Galileo already created a Plateosaurus, in both 1/40 and 1/72 scale:

As for me, I'd like to see more baby animals. Or maybe eggs from different species, such as titanosaur eggs.
Yes he did offer that one, thanks for pointing it out. I am hoping someone does something similar to the gorgonzola approach used for Amargasaurus and a few others, where we got several poses and could make an entire diorama of the same species
Titanosaur eggs would be awesome, as long as they were scaled at least perhaps 1/4 or smaller. A life sized titanosaur egg would be a large model. It would be amazing if an artist could capture the different shell textures for the different types of eggs especially. Ornamentation varies so much from species to species of egg
  Thinking about that idea a bit, I actually would love to see that happen. I am curious if any of the resident artists might be up for taking a stab at an oviraptor egg to start with? I can provide detailed and meticulous pictures to work with as well as macro shots of the shell texture etc. Anyone?

tyrantqueen

The eggs could have part of the shell "break away" and you'd be able to see the baby inside. You could display the egg how you wanted, either with the shell on or off. Sort of like the Kenner raptor hatchling toy, but the baby would still be developing inside, with the yolk and everything:

The artist would probably need to split the model into two listings, one for the egg and one for the shell piece. It would certainly be an ambitious idea.

amargasaurus cazaui

On ebay they actually sell resin castings of various eggs, mostly Hadrosaurus and Oviraptor. The problem I see with them is the loss of detail at the shell level, making them obviously fake, from ten feet away. I wonder if using this method might provide a better level of shell detail and make the reproduction look more accurate.

Paleogene Pals

I did not know Kenner cared so much about scientific accuracy. Looking at that hatching raptor toy, I guess they do, "realistic dino-skin!"

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 29, 2014, 11:34:09 PM
The eggs could have part of the shell "break away" and you'd be able to see the baby inside. You could display the egg how you wanted, either with the shell on or off. Sort of like the Kenner raptor hatchling toy, but the baby would still be developing inside, with the yolk and everything:

The artist would probably need to split the model into two listings, one for the egg and one for the shell piece. It would certainly be an ambitious idea.

Funny enough, I went through my old dinosaur toys recently and I still have the raptor and triceratops ones! Can't remember if there were any others, but mine at least held up exceptionally well.

The idea of a breakaway section of the egg could be neat...I'm quite partial to how Sideshow solved that for their dinosauria line - they had a...I believe it WAS a titanosaur embryo in an egg.  It was a really neat effect, and they sold it as a desktop piece/tree ornament.  If I were to do anything like I'd probably go that route since there would be no hassle with multiple pieces.

IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Blade-of-the-Moon

I always thought it was supposed to be a Brachiosaur that Sideshow did.

I loved the Kenner eggs...the baby Raptor was my favorite. Bought it as soon as I saw him on the shelf, I went him took and old aquarium and made him an incubator ..lol