News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 06, 2018, 10:16:50 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 06, 2018, 03:07:58 AM
So now that the ability to resize by width is restored, is it possible to restore resizing by height?

It is already set to resize tall images to 800px high. Have to encountered images taller than that on the forum?

No, I haven't, I was referring to manual resizing, like if I wanted something to display at 160px high when it started out 400, for example.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 08, 2018, 03:15:23 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 06, 2018, 10:16:50 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 06, 2018, 03:07:58 AM
So now that the ability to resize by width is restored, is it possible to restore resizing by height?

It is already set to resize tall images to 800px high. Have to encountered images taller than that on the forum?

No, I haven't, I was referring to manual resizing, like if I wanted something to display at 160px high when it started out 400, for example.

That should work. Just type in the values with bbcode: [ img height=160 ] image.jpg [ /img]. Bbcode was never taken away. ^-^

DinoToyForum

I'm experimenting with mobile-friendly logos.

mgaguilar

Loving the new mobile-format! I was on last night and it didn't look like this! Beautiful and smooth transitions. It's fantastic to not have to keep zooming in and out.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: mgaguilar on August 08, 2018, 03:07:25 PM
Loving the new mobile-format! I was on last night and it didn't look like this! Beautiful and smooth transitions. It's fantastic to not have to keep zooming in and out.

Thank you. :)

I can see why companies create apps as trying to please all users in single website design is difficult. Compromises are necessary. To date, I have prioritised desktop users but I'm trying to balance things out a bit to evolve with our audience.

Faelrin

Is this mobile thing why the header/logo looks much bigger (and narrower now) when viewing it on my laptop? I thought the page was failing to load in correctly till I refreshed it. Won't bother me much though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on August 08, 2018, 03:27:08 PM
Is this mobile thing why the header/logo looks much bigger (and narrower now) when viewing it on my laptop? I thought the page was failing to load in correctly till I refreshed it. Won't bother me much though.

Yes, but the narrow logo isn't necessarily permanent. I'm testing things out.

Faelrin

Ah okay. Thanks for explaining.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Syndicate Bias

I like it. Im always mobile on here so now it's much much easier for me to scroll through the comments

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on August 08, 2018, 05:11:57 PM
I like it. Im always mobile on here so now it's much much easier for me to scroll through the comments

Glad you approve of the changes. 8)
---
I think I'm happy with the new title logo. It works well enough on mobile and desktop.

Josh

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 08, 2018, 03:16:56 PM
Quote from: mgaguilar on August 08, 2018, 03:07:25 PM

Thank you. :)

I can see why companies create apps as trying to please all users in single website design is difficult. Compromises are necessary. To date, I have prioritised desktop users but I'm trying to balance things out a bit to evolve with our audience.

My thanks as well! This is a VAST improvement in my overall experience on this forum. I really appreciate it.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I used it on mobile today and it was a bit awkward getting around, but maybe it'll get easier as I get used to it.

As for the small header, it looks a bit strange to me. On my computer it shows as being 1/5 the width of the page. There's lots of white space. But then I was never a fan of the new logo with only two figures on it to begin with. Maybe I'm just a DTF fuddy-duddy ;D
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 09, 2018, 02:05:57 AM
I used it on mobile today and it was a bit awkward getting around, but maybe it'll get easier as I get used to it.

As for the small header, it looks a bit strange to me. On my computer it shows as being 1/5 the width of the page. There's lots of white space. But then I was never a fan of the new logo with only two figures on it to begin with. Maybe I'm just a DTF fuddy-duddy ;D

Let me know if there any specific problems with navigation and I'll see if I can fix it. For the most part, all functionality is there in the mobile version, it has just shifted around to accommodate a mobile screen. It is probably something you will get used to.

The reduced header does look odd on a large desktop screen but that's one of the compromises I've made in the quest for mobile-friendlyness. The old banner was being cut off by the edge of the screen on mobile devices. One day I might work out how to make images responsive so we can have different headers for different devices.

An update to the forum software is long overdue, and should rectify many of these issues when it is released.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Ah, Okay. Nothing I noticed so far impedes functionality even if I'm not used to the layout yet.

I don't know if you're actively experimenting with things right now or not but the last three times I've re-loaded the front page I saw three different layouts. One with the recent posts sidebar above the boards, one with all  the sidebars where they normally are, and one with no sidebars at all.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 09, 2018, 03:16:52 PM
Ah, Okay. Nothing I noticed so far impedes functionality even if I'm not used to the layout yet.

I don't know if you're actively experimenting with things right now or not but the last three times I've re-loaded the front page I saw three different layouts. One with the recent posts sidebar above the boards, one with all  the sidebars where they normally are, and one with no sidebars at all.

Yeah, I've been experimenting, trying to solve an issue related to the front page being slightly misaligned in mobile view (due to the side bars width). Not a big deal but these little things bug me.  :))

DinoToyForum

I've taken measures to fill in the white spaces on either side of the title logo at the top of the page, as per the Animal Toy Forum.

Reptilia

People's avatars don't show up again in the top posters section. And I can't see the Collecta Tyrannosaurus and Safari Ankylosaurus in the banner too. Is that because you're tweaking around with modifications or is some sort of instability?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Reptilia on August 12, 2018, 12:30:59 PM
People's avatars don't show up again in the top posters section. And I can't see the Collecta Tyrannosaurus and Safari Ankylosaurus in the banner too. Is that because you're tweaking around with modifications or is some sort of instability?

I removed the two dinosaurs so they don't interfere with the new background images.

Don't know why the avatar images don't always show. Some glitch.

Reptilia

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 12, 2018, 02:00:27 PM
I removed the two dinosaurs so they don't interfere with the new background images.

What do you mean? I only see the forum's logo, scaled down and without dinos, at centre screen, with a large portion of blank space at both sides.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Reptilia on August 12, 2018, 02:39:13 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 12, 2018, 02:00:27 PM

What do you mean? I only see the forum's logo, scaled down and without dinos, at centre screen, with a large portion of blank space at both sides.

Refresh your cache.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: