News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I'm now considering simplifying the forum front page by removing the separate categories (the blue bars on the main forum page) and having all the boards under one category instead. There is actually a lot of duplication between the categories and boards (see below), so it would avoid that, and make the front page look tidier and less overwhelming. In other words, I can change this:

Dinosaur collectibles (6 boards + sub-boards)
Dinosaurs and palaeontology ( 3 boards, including one also called "Dinosaurs and palaeontology")
Dinosaur art (3 boards including one called "Dinosaur art")
General (3 boards including one called "General")
Members (1 board for members called "Members", 2 boards for staff)
Administration (4 boards)

To this:

Forum boards (21 boards + sub-boards)

Or I could compromise and merge some categories but keep others. How useful do you find the categories?

Newt

I'm all for removing the categories. I navigate the front page by scanning for board titles anyhow; the categories are just clutter.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Newt on January 11, 2024, 12:05:16 PMI'm all for removing the categories. I navigate the front page by scanning for board titles anyhow; the categories are just clutter.

Yeah, that's my thinking. Also, if I'm dropping by to see what's new then the recent topics list at the top is how I navigate. I rarely scroll down to the boards section any more.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 11, 2024, 11:50:41 AMI'm now considering simplifying the forum front page by removing the separate categories (the blue bars on the main forum page) and having all the boards under one category instead. There is actually a lot of duplication between the categories and boards (see below), so it would avoid that, and make the front page look tidier and less overwhelming. In other words, I can change this:

Dinosaur collectibles (6 boards + sub-boards)
Dinosaurs and palaeontology ( 3 boards, including one also called "Dinosaurs and palaeontology")
Dinosaur art (3 boards including one called "Dinosaur art")
General (3 boards including one called "General")
Members (1 board for members called "Members", 2 boards for staff)
Administration (4 boards)

To this:

Forum boards (21 boards + sub-boards)

Or I could compromise and merge some categories but keep others. How useful do you find the categories?

I went ahead and did this. I also tweaked some of the boards for clarity in the process. For example, "Dinosaur Groups" became "Dinosaur Toy Groups" to differentiate it from the "Dinosaurs and Palaeontology" board.

Edit: Then, to help break up the resulting wall of boards, I've changed the colour of some of the board titles.

Faelrin

Looking much cleaner. That was a great idea.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on January 12, 2024, 03:57:27 PMLooking much cleaner. That was a great idea.

Thanks! Sometimes you get so used to the way something is it becomes difficult to imagine it any other way. I'm happy with this change!

Bread

Also liking the new layout. Even with the slight bug, I'm enjoying it so far. Well done DinoToyForum!

Halichoeres

Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 11, 2024, 10:44:35 AMSince we no longer have much of a social media team to speak of I'm deleting a Social Media Team membergroup that provided access to a hidden Social Media board (which I've also deleted).  avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres was the only member assigned to that group so he's the only member who will be affected: he'll lose his purple text and icons and revert to the "reviewers" membergroup (green) instead. avatar_suspsy @suspsy is posting to the FB page now but I never added him to the Social Media Team member group in the first place as we always discussed social media on a different board anyway.

Darn! I kinda liked being the only purple one. But you're right, it doesn't really make sense anymore.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

I vouch for keeping his purple even if it is needed per se. I'll miss it too lol.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Ha. Well, it's certainly possible to have four colour-coded categories: Admin, Moderator, Reviewer, and Halichoeres.  ;D

DinoToyForum

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with the front page of the forum width not displaying properly on mobile screens. Can someone who views the forum regularly on a mobile device let me know if this problem first occurred yesterday, or has it been like this for a while?

Edit: fixed it. The problem was with the Amazon ads at the bottom of the forum, so I have deleted them.

Halichoeres

I'm not sure when this happened, but I appreciate that now when you type "ctrl+i" it brings up the
[i][/i]tags. Very convenient, and I don't believe that was always the case.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 15, 2024, 09:49:59 PMI'm not sure when this happened, but I appreciate that now when you type "ctrl+i" it brings up the
[i][/i]tags. Very convenient, and I don't believe that was always the case.
Also ctrl+b for bold and ctrl+u for underline also work for me. There may be others. I think they're basic bbcode shortcuts, but they may vary from browser to browser, and are not due to anything I've done.

DinoToyForum

I've permanently removed the gender field from user profiles. It's personal data covered by GDPR so better to just get rid of it.

Sim

Could the recent members box be put under the users online box again?  The latter already shows the most recent member.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on February 06, 2024, 04:43:04 PMCould the recent members box be put under the users online box again?  The latter already shows the most recent member.

Sure, done. And I also removed some of the stats from that section sine they are duplicated at the bottom of the page anyway. Users online is also duplicated but I like to see whose online at the top as well.

Sim

Thanks avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum! :)  I prefer it much more the way it is now.  It's the same as on the Animal Toy Forum, just right in my opinion!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on February 06, 2024, 05:06:35 PMThanks avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum! :)  I prefer it much more the way it is now.  It's the same as on the Animal Toy Forum, just right in my opinion!

Yes, I also like to keep the two forums identical, not sure how that asymmetry happened. O:-)

DinoToyForum

I also just removed the duplicate heading "Users online", seemed unnecessary.

DinoToyForum

I was recently contacted by Ebay who informed me I've accidentally been in violation of their terms of service by omitting a disclaimer on the forum to state that some links to Ebay are affiliate links and that the forum may make a commission on any purchases made through them. So, I've had to add such a disclaimer to more or less every page of the forum (and blog). The same is true for Amazon links as well, so I've added a disclaimer for Amazon, too, just to be safe!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: