You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Giant New Four-winged Maniraptoran

Started by Yutyrannus, July 17, 2014, 08:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

Isn't that artwork actually David Krentz's Microraptor model?

Yutyrannus

Yeah, I don't know why they put that in there. But still this is a cool discovery, a four foot Microraptor-like maniraptoran ;D.

HD-man

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Yutyrannus

I was referring to length not weight and I know it isn't super close, but it's is closer than other microraptorines.

EDIT: I changed the title.

stargatedalek

I found this article a few days ago
but I somehow managed to not comprehend just how large it really was until now

QuoteNew Feathered Dinosaur from China Sheds Light on Dinosaur Flight
An international research team including Stony Brook scientist Alan Turner detail how Changyuraptor yangi helps explain the role of long tail feathers in flight evolution
http://sb.cc.stonybrook.edu/news/medical/140715DINO.php?=marquee2

QuoteResearch findings from an international team of scientists including Alan Turner, PhD, Assistant Professor in the Department of Anatomical Sciences at Stony Brook University School of Medicine, uncovers details on how a new species of a feathered raptorial dinosaur found in China provides evidence on how large-bodied dinosaurs took to the air. To be published in Nature Communications, the research hinges on understanding where within the evolutionary tree of dinosaurs this new species, called Changyuraptor yangi, belonged.

~ 海巳慧琉

alexeratops

Cool new discovery! Another dino to add too my drawing collection. :P
like a bantha!

Scipionyx

I have not done any research, but is it a possibility that this is just like a big flightless microraptorine, descended from smaller gliding forms?

Painting by Heinrich Harder.

Concavenator

A cool discovery,that's for sure.Just one question:if it's Velociraptor-sized and related to Velociraptor,would it be phisically possible that Velociraptor have leg wings and be able of gliding as well?

stargatedalek

velociraptor did not have the build of a glider, but it probably had "primary feathers" on its hind limbs, the same goes for all dromaeosaurs

Balaur

Quote from: Scipionyx on July 18, 2014, 10:23:19 AM
I have not done any research, but is it a possibility that this is just like a big flightless microraptorine, descended from smaller gliding forms?
That's what I thought too.

Quote from: Concavenator on July 18, 2014, 10:56:23 AM
A cool discovery,that's for sure.Just one question:if it's Velociraptor-sized and related to Velociraptor,would it be phisically possible that Velociraptor have leg wings and be able of gliding as well?
It's not Velociraptor sized. Also, Velociraptor has relatively short arms compared to microraptorians, so it is unlikely to be a glider. However, I'm wondering if we have found young Velociraptors, and maybe the young were capable of gliding.

stargatedalek

I highly doubt that, it would require pretty near the entire general proportions of the animal to be reshapen as it grew in order for a young velociraptor to glide

changyuraptor was almost certainly a glider, the extend of feathering on the legs would have been a major handicap otherwise

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 18, 2014, 12:38:25 PMvelociraptor did not have the build of a glider, but it probably had "primary feathers" on its hind limbs, the same goes for all dromaeosaurs

How do you figure that? Not even all microraptorines had primaries on their hind limbs.

Microraptor zhaoianus: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v408/n6813/fig_tab/408705a0_ft.html

Sinornithosaurus millenii: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v410/n6832/fig_tab/4101084a0_ft.html

Yutyrannus

Actually there is no evidence that they didn't, so as far as we know, all microraptorines at least did have "leg-wings".

Scipionyx

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 18, 2014, 11:42:46 PM
changyuraptor was almost certainly a glider, the extend of feathering on the legs would have been a major handicap otherwise
Are you sure it would have been a handicap? Many birds with long tails or long feathers on their legs (eagles, turkeys, peafowl etc) don't have a problem walking, and there is always the possibility that they would have been folded up. Feathers can't stop something from being able to walk; the feathers being dragged along the ground (if they were not folded up somehow) get damaged and tattered, but don't make much difference to the walking ability. It is only a problem if the leg feathers are important for survival which, if Changyupraptor was a ground animal, they would not. Maybe they were for display.

stargatedalek

but if they were, than why have them on the feet and not just further up the hindlimbs

Gwangi

Quote from: Scipionyx on July 19, 2014, 09:05:48 AM
Are you sure it would have been a handicap? Many birds with long tails or long feathers on their legs (eagles, turkeys, peafowl etc) don't have a problem walking, and there is always the possibility that they would have been folded up. Feathers can't stop something from being able to walk; the feathers being dragged along the ground (if they were not folded up somehow) get damaged and tattered, but don't make much difference to the walking ability. It is only a problem if the leg feathers are important for survival which, if Changyupraptor was a ground animal, they would not. Maybe they were for display.

All the birds you mention are still excellent fliers and can simply take off at a moments notice, I doubt Changyuraptor could do that. Long tail feathers are really not a good analogy for feathers on the legs. Peafowl and turkeys can still move about fairly uninhibited with their tails more or less held up off the ground. Even the feathers on the legs of an eagle don't really compare to the long stiff feathers on Microraptor.

HD-man

Quote from: Yutyrannus on July 19, 2014, 03:15:20 AMActually there is no evidence that they didn't,

Besides the fossils mentioned in my previous post, of course.

Scipionyx

Quote from: Gwangi on July 19, 2014, 01:32:58 PM
Quote from: Scipionyx on July 19, 2014, 09:05:48 AM

All the birds you mention are still excellent fliers and can simply take off at a moments notice, I doubt Changyuraptor could do that. Long tail feathers are really not a good analogy for feathers on the legs. Peafowl and turkeys can still move about fairly uninhibited with their tails more or less held up off the ground. Even the feathers on the legs of an eagle don't really compare to the long stiff feathers on Microraptor.

That is a good point. However, I was more referring to the fact that peafowl still drag their tails along the ground even though their tails get damaged, and don't really seem to 'care' about their feathers getting frayed and damaged. Changyuraptor would not have avoided walking if it damaged their feathers. Feathers can grow back, and being able to walk is more important than keeping their hindwings safe (especially if they were not used for flying and were instead used for  display or something.) The only way feathers on the hindlimbs would impair an animal's ability to walk would be if they were so stiff that they could not bend at all, which is a feature that even stiff flight feathers do not have.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: HD-man on July 19, 2014, 03:53:00 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on July 19, 2014, 03:15:20 AMActually there is no evidence that they didn't,

Besides the fossils mentioned in my previous post, of course.
Those could just be poorly preserved, because one of those two species we know for sure did have them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: