News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PlayVisions

Started by Roselaar, August 08, 2014, 11:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Wow, I didn't think the PV mammals would be so strongly sought after... Are their amphibian and marine reptiles sets going for similar prices these days?

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on August 08, 2014, 11:34:48 PM
Wow, I didn't think the PV mammals would be so strongly sought after... Are their amphibian and marine reptiles sets going for similar prices these days?

Well, the start price was $199.

And it helps that it is a boxed set, plus the full set of large figures (those ones can be especially tough to find).

As for the marine reptiles and amphibians, it's been so long since a complete set was offered, it's hard to know what the value would be. But most likely, it would be higher, especially for the amphibians.

Did I mention that the first time I bought both complete sets, it cost me $20 ;D Probably cost me more the second time, but not by much...

Gwangi

Quote from: SBell on August 09, 2014, 03:57:59 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on August 08, 2014, 11:34:48 PM

Well, the start price was $199.

And it helps that it is a boxed set, plus the full set of large figures (those ones can be especially tough to find).

As for the marine reptiles and amphibians, it's been so long since a complete set was offered, it's hard to know what the value would be. But most likely, it would be higher, especially for the amphibians.

Did I mention that the first time I bought both complete sets, it cost me $20 ;D Probably cost me more the second time, but not by much...

And that is why when something truly unique and special comes around you don't take it for granted, get it while you can. That's a big lesson I have learned in this particular hobby.

Roselaar

Makes me regret the fact that when I had a chance of buying multiple complete PV Amphibian sets for 8 euros each, I only bought two instead of all of them...

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on August 09, 2014, 04:12:54 PM
Makes me regret the fact that when I had a chance of buying multiple complete PV Amphibian sets for 8 euros each, I only bought two instead of all of them...

Without intending any offense...

YOU FOOL! ;D

You could probably have financed a lot of other purchases or trades...plus made a number of collectors happy...

We've all done it though--I passed on whole bins of the small prehistoric mammals. In several places. 15 years ago, mind you.

Hynerpeton

We're these pre Dino's? :( I know i am gonna regret asking this. Lol
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

stargatedalek

IIRC most (all?) in the kit were species predating mesozoic, (I assume thats what you mean?)

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 10, 2014, 03:07:29 AM
IIRC most (all?) in the kit were species predating mesozoic, (I assume thats what you mean?)

They were bin figures. And yes, that 'pre-dino' phrase refers to organisms that generally (although not always) proceed dinosaurs.

Roselaar

Quote from: predino on August 10, 2014, 02:51:32 AM

They are, and they're all awesome. Many of them have never been done by other companies, and most likely never will be again...

At least I traded my one double set for a complete set of equally elusive PV marine reptiles, so things turned out alright for me.

Last I heard, they didn't have any complete PV amphibian sets at that location anymore, though they still might have some leftovers. And some Invictasaurs too (this is the infamous museum with the abundance of Troodons, some veteran forum members might recall). I have been pondering about revisiting it, but it's not exactly closeby...

Hynerpeton

Quote from: Roselaar on August 10, 2014, 01:54:17 PM

They are, and they're all awesome. Many of them have never been done by other companies, and most likely never will be again...

At least I traded my one double set for a complete set of equally elusive PV marine reptiles, so things turned out alright for me.

Last I heard, they didn't have any complete PV amphibian sets at that location anymore, though they still might have some leftovers. And some Invictasaurs too (this is the infamous museum with the abundance of Troodons, some veteran forum members might recall). I have been pondering about revisiting it, but it's not exactly closeby...

:( *cries* can i see what they looked like? :(
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Roselaar

Here's both the PV Amphibians and marine reptiles set:

SBell

Quote from: predino on August 10, 2014, 06:52:13 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on August 10, 2014, 01:54:17 PM

:( *cries* can i see what they looked like? :(

I'm pretty sure you'd seen the set before--it's pretty well known as a hot item.

Hynerpeton

I think i have one of these guys. I will post a pic when i can. :)
Walking With Monsers:

stargatedalek

I have a playvisions iguanodon, stegosaurus, and "brontosaurus" and I'm wondering if they are particularly rare/valuable

Yutyrannus

I have some PV figures but none of prehistoric life.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 11, 2014, 02:06:17 AM
I have a playvisions iguanodon, stegosaurus, and "brontosaurus" and I'm wondering if they are particularly rare/valuable

In a polite word? No.

Unlike the prehistoric amphibians, mammals and marine reptiles the dinosaurs were not based off of the Grolier prehistoric images, but instead appeared to be re-painted versions of some pretty terrible small figures that appear to have made the rounds since the late 80s or so.

But, being dinosaurs, they are still sold by PV.

stargatedalek

thanks ;)
no point in holding onto them anymore then

Roselaar

BTW, is this how both the Amphibians and Marine Reptiles were originally sold in stores? In a plastic jar with numerous doubles? I bet those are especially tough to find...

DinoToyForum

Just a reminder that the amphibians are reviewed here: http://dinotoyblog.com/2014/02/11/prehistoric-amphibians-play-visions/

I'll get around to reviewing the marine reptiles one of these days. Here are mine (Ignore the Invicta):

Edit - I moved this topic to the dino toy lines section of the forum, because it turned into a more general overview of Play Visions, which is good!

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on August 11, 2014, 08:44:39 PM
BTW, is this how both the Amphibians and Marine Reptiles were originally sold in stores? In a plastic jar with numerous doubles? I bet those are especially tough to find...

The bins were sold to retailers for about $50 (so there were about 100 in there--smart math-y people may notice that means that the last set(s) wouldn't be complete). Of course, at the time, who's going to pay the $100 retail for a bunch of small rubber things? Plus, the tubs were usually dumped into larger point-of-sale bins.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: