You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A (Broad) Question for Paleontologists

Started by Tyrannax, August 11, 2014, 03:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrannax

Hey all,

I was simply curious as to what I can expect if I choose to peruse a career in paleontology. I have done my fair share of research over the years and realize this is a question that can be easily answered online, but I've been a member of the forum since 2007 and felt as though the forum's influence has helped to maintain my interest in the field. It is about time I began to focus my studies on one of two career paths. Paleontology being the first, and the second delving into physics (Astronomy has always been fascinating for me). So, what I'm asking is directed towards any professional paleontologists here. How is the work, actually? Where can I expect to work? How's the job outlook? I would love to engage in vertebrate paleontology and am eager to contact the Jackson's School of Geosciences. That be said, any first hand information from the forum would be more than helpful. After all, where better to ask than a community dinosaur site?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Member since 2008

DinoLord

I am not a paleontologist, but I do know that the Jersey Boys Hunt Dinosaurs blog has had a lot of interviews with various paleontologists that address some of the questions you raised. Hopefully you will be able to get some more answers from members here, including the admin.

stargatedalek

despite that I have yet to begin post secondary (and I plan on going into arts design) I've done a bit of research on the topic
and from what I've gathered there are (at least) two ways to approach an education in vertebrate paleontology, from a geology perspective, or from a zoology perspective

but its always best to get this sort of perspective directly, and all I've got is what I've learned from University "recruiters"

Tyrannax

DinoLord: Thank you for the information. I've actually never heard of the blog, but spent some time looking through it and will certainly continue to do so. This is a fork in the road for me, so I want to be sure of my career choice. No second guessing myself.

Star: Yes, I read about that. The university I am currently attending offers no courses in the way of geology, so biology is my only choice until I transfer to UT.

Member since 2008

stoneage

Quote from: Tyrannax on August 11, 2014, 03:50:20 AM
Hey all,

I was simply curious as to what I can expect if I choose to peruse a career in paleontology. I have done my fair share of research over the years and realize this is a question that can be easily answered online, but I've been a member of the forum since 2007 and felt as though the forum's influence has helped to maintain my interest in the field. It is about time I began to focus my studies on one of two career paths. Paleontology being the first, and the second delving into physics (Astronomy has always been fascinating for me). So, what I'm asking is directed towards any professional paleontologists here. How is the work, actually? Where can I expect to work? How's the job outlook? I would love to engage in vertebrate paleontology and am eager to contact the Jackson's School of Geosciences. That be said, any first hand information from the forum would be more than helpful. After all, where better to ask than a community dinosaur site?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Actually you didn't register on the old forum until July 26, 2008.  Remember Paleontology is about the details.  Good luck figuring out what you want to do. 

DinoToyForum

I can say a few things and provide some advice - I'll come back later, when I have more time :)

Tyrannax

Thanks DTF, that'd be a great help!

Haha. Thanks for the correction, stoneage.

Member since 2008

Brontozaurus

According to the palaeolab at my uni, you have two job options as a palaeontologist: work as a stratigrapher for an oil company, or die in poverty.

They're not very cheery people.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

brandem

Or stratigrapher for a coal company, paleontologists can be such pessimists sometimes jeez,
(Kidding of course)

Tyrannax

Haha, that joke is based in truth though, isn't it? From what I've found, the job outlook is not great.

Member since 2008

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Brontozaurus on August 14, 2014, 03:42:35 AM
According to the palaeolab at my uni, you have two job options as a palaeontologist: work as a stratigrapher for an oil company, or die in poverty.

They're not very cheery people.

Could be worse... could be an un-specialized Anthropologist who doesn't really care about what he's doing lol.

Tyrannax

I'm not getting a positive vibe from this question.  ;) Maybe you could share a bit of your knowledge, dtf?

Member since 2008

brandem

I'd say the point is don't put all your eggs in one basket, if you're an american or going to an american university I'd suggest double major to anyone dedicated enough to pull it off, double bachelor's, one in something useful right away, and one that builds a foundation for a future masters/doctorate,

Paleogene Pals

My advice as a working geologist. Pursue paleontology as an avocation. Study something like biostratigraphy, sequence stratigraphy, geophysics, wireline logging, basin modeling and work in oil and gas. Go to North Dakota, work in the Bakken. I am a stratigrapher, and stratigraphy is an aging field with many future retirements/fossilizations over the next ten years. Paleontology is young, and there will not be many retirements to create openings for job seekers.

Forget T-rex, study conodonts!

Tyrannax

Quote from: brandem on August 15, 2014, 12:06:51 AM
I'd say the point is don't put all your eggs in one basket, if you're an american or going to an american university I'd suggest double major to anyone dedicated enough to pull it off, double bachelor's, one in something useful right away, and one that builds a foundation for a future masters/doctorate,

That was my thinking. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be devoting my studies exclusively to vertebrate paleontology. I'd have to delve into another, likely more sustaining geoscience.

I had considered that as well, Paleogene. It is my understanding that working in oil is a wealthy pursuit. Unfortunately, the entire point of my interest in geoscience is based in my love for paleontology. I'm not sure if this is the path for me if working for an oil company is my final destination. That being said, petroleum engineering has certainly crossed my mind... but that's for another time.

I'm happy for the comments and advice from everyone so far. It's brutally honest, but helpful.  :)

Member since 2008

Paleogene Pals

Another possibility is working for a geological survey. I work for the geological survey here in South Dakota. I don't focus on vert paleo, but people have brought in sharks teeth, a mammoth tooth, and a Xiphactinus jawbone. Plus, I get to do field work in the Hell Creek Formation area on occasion. Maybe get a geo survey job in Montana or Wyoming? Don't altogether give up on your dreams but be realistic about achieving them.

Tyrannax

That's an opportunity my research hadn't revealed. I'll most certainly be looking into this. Thanks Paleo  ;) The advice you've provided as a geologist is most helpful.

Member since 2008

Gryphoceratops

That jerseyboyshuntdinosaurs blog is indeed a good source for lots of paleontologist interviews.  One of the guys who runs it is also like...reallyreallyreallyrediculously good looking and like...super smart and talented and all around awesome.  ;)

During the summers I, myself travel to the badlands and do excavation and prep work, and I have even published a research poster on a potential new species we found out there.  (I don't consider myself a paleontogist though.  The people I consider paleontologists work harder than me.)  I have a degree in animal science and most of my professional experience is working with modern animals.  Currently I work at an AZA zoo as an educator and keeper for the reptile collection.  Having a strong base in modern animal knowledge helps a LOT with my paleo work though, especially since more than half of the paleontologists I meet are geology backgrounds. 

I have spoken to lots of paleontologists about this.  I am also personal friends with a number of them.  Most every single paleontologist you see, including the really famous ones, have another profession that makes them money.  Some of them work for oil companies, some of them are college professors, some of them are museum curators.  That all being said- if I were you and I wanted to be a paleontologist, I would shoot for a degree in either biology or geology.  Both of those fields have decent job opportunities if you know where to look.  Go for one of THOSE JOBS.  There are lots.  Oil companies, labs, medical companies, the list goes on.  At the same time keep feelers out for paleo opportunities that wont get in the way of your core work.  Certain institutions (mostly out west) offer volunteer opportunities or even internships where you can go as a noob and learn how to excavate and prep fossils for a week during the summer.  (this how I started with my paleo stuff)  This will give you a taste of what it is like and allow you to weigh your options a little more.  This also looks really good on your resume if you decide to apply for graduate programs in paleontology.  If you get into one, don't expect to do a project on your dream fossil.  Many paleontologists start out working on stuff that is extremely boring (well...depending on your taste.)  A friend of mine, who is currently one of the leading experts in the world on sauropods and stegosaurs started out on projects about fossil seed pods. (or something similar to that if I remember correctly) 

Also marrying someone who makes a lot of money is never a bad idea either.  :P  (sort of kidding...)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.