News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosaurus new look!

Started by SpartanSquat, August 14, 2014, 06:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amanda on September 15, 2014, 10:11:46 PM
I doubt a swimming pose with base will happen as a toy. Companies don't tend to do that with even sharks/whales. A sprawling flopping is the closest you'll see. Resin and statues are open to it of course, but I suspect not toys. I can maybe see a CollectA new version, but I doubt Carnegie or Wild Safari will pending more thorough reviews of all this new stuff.
It would be cool to have a figure of it posed as though it's swimming through the water. For some reason it's really hard to find a crocodile toy that has the animal in a swimming pose. Most croc toys are of the animal on dry land. Maybe it's because it limits playability. I wonder if the situation would be the same with Spino.

amanda

I would imagine. I see no mass produced whales on a rod. Even Safari's scuba divers are not based, even though they are clearly swimming. So a swimming Spino could happen, just not a rod/base I think. The new look is interesting. But, what did it due in dry seasons?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amanda on September 15, 2014, 10:29:21 PM
I would imagine. I see no mass produced whales on a rod. Even Safari's scuba divers are not based, even though they are clearly swimming. So a swimming Spino could happen, just not a rod/base I think. The new look is interesting. But, what did it due in dry seasons?
Well, crocodiles and hippos manage to survive the dry seasons...so I don't imagine Spino would be vastly different.

It's tough for them but they pull through somehow.

amanda

Yea, but they do not have 50 foot theropods going round eating everything either? Spino had some high end competition there, yes? I would imagine being ungainly out of the water could make it vulnerable. With no water to maneuver in  wouldn't it be a sitting..errrr....duck?

Patrx

The large predators of the Kem Kem do seem to be pretty specialized. Perhaps they simply didn't interact with one another, generally speaking?

amanda

Maybe. Normally. But in extreme conditions, when any meal counted? And around the only water? I wonder.

tyrantqueen

Or maybe they hibernated through the dry season >:D  I don't know, there is much we don't know and may never know.

amanda

Well, if these proportions are anywhere near the real deal, the specialization would seem to leave it vulnerable. So, there must have been a mitigating advantage? THIS is why no representation of this beastie will ever be accurate for any length of time.....

stargatedalek

it didn't live in the same environments as hippopotamus, being on the coast seasonal droughts would have had less of an effect

Patrx

Quote from: amanda on September 15, 2014, 11:10:40 PM
Well, if these proportions are anywhere near the real deal, the specialization would seem to leave it vulnerable. So, there must have been a mitigating advantage?

Perhaps the other predatory animals had trouble with the muddy conditions for which Spinosaurus seems to have been adapted. Mud could pose a problem for a spindly-legged biped like Carcharodontosaurus.
Really, though, predators don't usually waste energy on interspecific combat outside of terrible TV documentaries  ::)

Gwangi

Quote from: Patrx on September 15, 2014, 11:23:52 PM
Perhaps the other predatory animals had trouble with the muddy conditions for which Spinosaurus seems to have been adapted. Mud could pose a problem for a spindly-legged biped like Carcharodontosaurus.
Really, though, predators don't usually waste energy on interspecific combat outside of terrible TV documentaries  ::)

I dunno, if there is enough ecological overlap predators will go out of their way to kill competition. Lions and hyenas and wolves and coyotes are the two classic examples.

stargatedalek

the solid bones and flattened toes are enough for me to put my faith in a more "loon-like" lifestyle, as opposed to mud crawling

Carnosaur

tyrantqueen

I do believe that was already posted a few pages back.

Carnosaur

In a strange bit of irony it seems the new Spinosaurus kinda resembles Secodontosaurus, a crocodile like cousin of Dimetrodon.

Nobs

I kind of dig the new look. 

What I find interesting is this makes paleontology come full circle!
Im thinking of it as a reverse Megalosaurus/Iguanodon depiction!  Remember the crystal palace park depictions of these animals as quadropeds, and then bipedal as more information became available (then back to semi-quadroped for Iguanodon I guess)

Spinosaurus has typically always been depicted as the biped, now its thought to be a massive crocodile-like beast!

Heres another fun thought:  Does this new depiction mean that the old Schleich Spinosaurus (the blue one) is the most accurate musuem model...at least as far as stance goes!   :o :o :o

Concavenator

Quote from: Patrx on September 15, 2014, 10:55:57 PM
The large predators of the Kem Kem do seem to be pretty specialized. Perhaps they simply didn't interact with one another, generally speaking?
Spinosaurus aside,I don't agree.Carcharodontosaurus and Deltadromeus were both pretty normal theropods.

Balaur

You can't say normal theropods. It's hard to define it. What do you mean by that?

Also, what if Spinosaurus instead ventured out into the ocean during the dry season, and returned when the rivers grew back?

Concavenator

Quote from: Balaur on September 16, 2014, 04:49:59 PM
You can't say normal theropods. It's hard to define it. What do you mean by that?

Also, what if Spinosaurus instead ventured out into the ocean during the dry season, and returned when the rivers grew back?
They don't have any particularly weird features.

I don't know how close to the sea the Kem Kem formation is,but I don't think so.A pliosaur could perfectly kill a Spinosaurus.Look at the picture tyrantqueen posted a whule back with some crocodiles in a dry river.I think it was Spinosaurus' case.I don't think any predator like Carcharodontosaurus would fight a Spinosaurus.Think of an actual savannah.Think of Carcharodontosaurus and Deltadromeus as,for example,a lion and a hyena.And Spinosaurus as crocodile.None of these predators fight themselves.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on September 16, 2014, 06:56:40 PM
Quote from: Balaur on September 16, 2014, 04:49:59 PM

They don't have any particularly weird features.

I don't know how close to the sea the Kem Kem formation is,but I don't think so.A pliosaur could perfectly kill a Spinosaurus.Look at the picture tyrantqueen posted a whule back with some crocodiles in a dry river.I think it was Spinosaurus' case.I don't think any predator like Carcharodontosaurus would fight a Spinosaurus.Think of an actual savannah.Think of Carcharodontosaurus and Deltadromeus as,for example,a lion and a hyena.And Spinosaurus as crocodile.None of these predators fight themselves.
Given how diverse theropods are, I'm not sure a "normal" theropod exists!  Deltadromeus has long legs that are unusually slender for its size, suggesting it was a swift runner.  That seems like a "weird" feature to me!  On top of that, its skull isn't known, so we really have no clue how "normal" it was.  It could have an unusual skull, like Deinocheirus turned out to have.  Maybe it could have even been a herbivore like Limusaurus?

As Gwangi said a few posts earlier, predators are known to fight and kill each other if there's enough ecological overlap.  The "Predator competion" section on the Lion Wikipedia page comprehensively covers the many predators lions fight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion#Predator_competition  There are videos on YouTube of lions killing hyenas and cheetahs.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: