You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Congratulations on getting those new Battat dinosaurs ItsTwentyBelow!  Nice photos!  I'm sure you'll get the Parasaurolophus too!

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on December 27, 2015, 12:30:08 AM
My dream is that someone else as passionate and skilled as Dan was picks up the torch and carries on sculpting new dinosaurs for Battat, whilst sticking to Dan's established 1:40 scale.

Same here!  That would be great!  Battat is by far my favourite prehistoric animal toy line!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Sim on December 27, 2015, 02:37:31 PM

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on December 27, 2015, 12:30:08 AM
My dream is that someone else as passionate and skilled as Dan was picks up the torch and carries on sculpting new dinosaurs for Battat, whilst sticking to Dan's established 1:40 scale.

Same here!  That would be great!  Battat is by far my favourite prehistoric animal toy line!

Me too! Although at this point I'm just crossing my fingers in the hope that they at least continue releasing the sculpts they already have! Once we've gotten through all the new ones Dan sculpted, then I'll start worrying about whether somebody else will pick it up.

ItsTwentyBelow

Here are more pictures of the Stego, including thagomizer detail, and a diorama pic of the Euoplocephalus.

I really like this color scheme for the Euoplo, and think it might even be better than the original! I like the accuracy of the sculpt, too. Nice and wide in the hips. Great details.

I believe that the Terra dinosaurs will go on, since the Terra line itself also includes modern animals and mythical beasts. I think there will always be a need for a dinosaur component to the Terra line.

But yes, we can start worrying about a new paleoartist after the still very long list of unreleased models is exhausted. However, I do not know anything about his current projects, but I think it would be amazing if Mr. Wenzel, for whatever reason, decided to return as sculptor. I believe it was he whom sculpted the Parasaur?

Sim

It's nice to see a good photo of the Euoplocephalus!  Yes, Greg Wenzel sculpted the Parasaurolophus.  He also sculpted the Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Gallimimus, Utahraptor, Ouranosaurus, Styracosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus and Pachycephalosaurus.  It would be great if he returned as a sculptor!

suspsy

These photos of the Stegosaurus only further cement my dislike of it. On top of the inaccurate thagomizer (and yes, I read all the details posted in this thread previously, and I find them unconvincing), the plates on the neck make it look like the animal has Mickey Mouse ears.

I really like the Euoplocephalus and the Parasaurolophus though! I'm definitely going to have to persuade my friends to do a Stateside shopping trip sometime soon.

I think it would be neat if Battat mixed up the remaining reissues with the 2015 sculpts from here on. Like say, the next wave could consist of the Pachycephalosaurus, the Dilophosaurus, and the Pentaceratops, then follow up with the Gigantoraptor, the Triceratops, and the Ouranosaurus. And so on.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on December 27, 2015, 11:15:04 PM
These photos of the Stegosaurus only further cement my dislike of it. On top of the inaccurate thagomizer (and yes, I read all the details posted in this thread previously, and I find them unconvincing), the plates on the neck make it look like the animal has Mickey Mouse ears.

I really like the Euoplocephalus and the Parasaurolophus though! I'm definitely going to have to persuade my friends to do a Stateside shopping trip sometime soon.

I think it would be neat if Battat mixed up the remaining reissues with the 2015 sculpts from here on. Like say, the next wave could consist of the Pachycephalosaurus, the Dilophosaurus, and the Pentaceratops, then follow up with the Gigantoraptor, the Triceratops, and the Ouranosaurus. And so on.

The neck plates on n articulated specimens of Stegosaurus were small, rounded, and began above the atlas. So they did in fact have Mickey Mouse ears ;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

I actually did look up images of Stegosaurus skeletons after viewing the photos in this thread . . . but none of them looked the way the Battat does. It's a purely personal beef.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on December 28, 2015, 12:35:42 AM
I actually did look up images of Stegosaurus skeletons after viewing the photos in this thread . . . but none of them looked the way the Battat does. It's a purely personal beef.

Fine if it's a personal preference, but keep in mind many mounted stegosaurus skeletons are inaccurate composites and/or not S. ungulatus. S. stenops is far more common and looks pretty different. Even the famous complete Sophie mount of stenops reportedly has a neck several vertebrae too long and plates that do not begin above the base of the skull as they should (Revan 2011). For some reason the original company that mounted this and the two mjosi specimens decided the necks should be based on Miragaia instead of other Stegosaurus specimens...

Ive been reading up a lot on Stegosaurus lately and feel ok saying that other than the extra pair of spikes, the Battat step might be the most accurate one on the market. It does have other issues but those are equal to or less than the issues with some other figures.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

docronnie

Congrats everyone!  I really hope I could get these new releases. :-)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

FlawedCoil82

Went to Target last night. They got a brand new shipment in, but it was just a bunch of Wave 2 figures. Had like 6 each of Trex and Acro, then 2 of each of the rest.  :( It will take forever for them to sell before they will order some more.

ItsTwentyBelow

Keep your chin up, they are slowly trickling in.

I hadn't seen any of the newest wave until Christmas Eve, and by now I've seen the Stegosaurus at three different Target locations in the Seattle area, the Euoplocephalus at two, and lucky me, I found the Parasaurolophus yesterday at the Target near the Fauntleroy ferry terminal! Which had nothing new a few weeks ago.

SWOON! Hands down, best Parasaur of any major dinosaur figure series, and it was sculpted in the '90s!

Campanian friends! :)

Cheers! Happy New Year, happy hunting!

Meso-Cenozoic

Congrats, ItsTwentyBelow! That Para really is a nice sculpt. And, I like these new colors/patterns on it too. The first one's colors I thought were too similar to the Rex's colors. This new color combination really sets it apart now from any of the others.

I just checked my Target again tonight. NADA! No new figures at all. So, the checking continues. :P

This is totally not being said for bragging purposes... but while the wait continues for me, I am happy that I at least have the whole original set to look at in the meantime. 8)

Pachyrhinosaurus

I went into my local Target yesterday to find the whole Terra section gone. I should get to a bigger one soon but I'm hoping that the vanishing of Terra endcaps doesn't become a trend. Really cool diorama, by the way, ItsTwentyBelow. I can't wait to see the euoplocephalus on local shelves.  ^-^
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Parasaurolophus

Just curious, are the DCPI numbers new or different for the three new released figures? I haven't seen anything on the east coast, and I was hoping to try and use the target system to see where they might be located.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 08, 2016, 05:35:28 PM
I went into my local Target yesterday to find the whole Terra section gone. I should get to a bigger one soon but I'm hoping that the vanishing of Terra endcaps doesn't become a trend. Really cool diorama, by the way, ItsTwentyBelow. I can't wait to see the euoplocephalus on local shelves.  ^-^

Terra endcap gone!?! That's terrable, hope it doesn't happen here
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Kovu

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on January 08, 2016, 11:46:05 PM
terrable

*slow clap*

I've check a few of the local targets both at school and here at home and have yet to run into any of the new releases. I do hope they're not ending the line though. I've been eagerly awaiting that maiasaura repaint!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Kovu on January 09, 2016, 01:33:51 AM
Quote from: Kayakasaurus on January 08, 2016, 11:46:05 PM
terrable

*slow clap*

I've check a few of the local targets both at school and here at home and have yet to run into any of the new releases. I do hope they're not ending the line though. I've been eagerly awaiting that maiasaura repaint!

Everything disappeared at once, too, so perhaps they were just put away for some reason? There was no time for all that they had to be sold out by now and there was no clearance sale.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 08, 2016, 09:11:21 PM
Just curious, are the DCPI numbers new or different for the three new released figures? I haven't seen anything on the east coast, and I was hoping to try and use the target system to see where they might be located.
When I used the DCPI for Carnotaurus at a store a while back, they brought out Dacentrurus. I think all the dinosaurs of a given size use the same number, which is pretty aggravating.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 09, 2016, 05:36:45 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 08, 2016, 09:11:21 PM
When I used the DCPI for Carnotaurus at a store a while back, they brought out Dacentrurus. I think all the dinosaurs of a given size use the same number, which is pretty aggravating.
The ones with the same prices are considered the same assortments, I found out myself.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: