You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on February 13, 2016, 05:18:36 PM
I'm certain either CollectA or Safari will eventually get around to doing Centrosaurus and Einiosaurus. Or perhaps Papo.

I have to say, if Papo made a Centrosaurus "based" on the one in Prehistoric Beast, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

The PB tyrannosaur would be epic too. And a nice change of pace from the JP version.

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Concavenator

I'm certain either CollectA or Safari will eventually get around to doing Centrosaurus and Einiosaurus. Or perhaps Papo.
Don't be so certain,I would say it is quite more likely we'll keep on seeing the companies release thise fancy newly discovered ceratopsians.

JurassicGeek09

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 14, 2016, 02:45:27 PM

I have to say, if Papo made a Centrosaurus "based" on the one in Prehistoric Beast, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

The PB tyrannosaur would be epic too. And a nice change of pace from the JP version.

I realize Phil Tippett called it T.rex but given that it's hunting a Centrosaurus, wouldn't that make it a Daspletosaurus?
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Dinoguy2

Quote from: JurassicGeek09 on February 14, 2016, 06:55:05 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 14, 2016, 02:45:27 PM

I realize Phil Tippett called it T.rex but given that it's hunting a Centrosaurus, wouldn't that make it a Daspletosaurus?

It would, though I'm not sure he was too concerned with chronology. The newer segments produced for the Christopher Reeves show featured Struthiomimus eating Edmontosaurus eggs and then being killed by Deinonychus :)

The opening of the short also contains the title card "Alberta, Canada 65 Million Years Ago".

suspsy

Quote from: Concavenator on February 14, 2016, 04:30:58 PM
Don't be so certain,I would say it is quite more likely we'll keep on seeing the companies release thise fancy newly discovered ceratopsians.

It's a win-win situation as far as I'm concerned then. :)

http://csotonyi.pixels.com/featured/ceratopsian-cornucopia-julius-csotonyi.html

It would be really great if someone made a Triceratops based on the Yoshi specimen.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

terrorchicken

why were ceratopsians so numerous? there seem to be so many species(or is genus the correct term?) and new ones seem to be found every year.
Also why were they all located in the Americas(except for some earlier basal ones)?

suspsy

Sinoceratops, Koreaceratops, Protoceratops, and Psittacosaurus are proudly Asian.

amargasaurus cazaui

Ceratopia have a highly intriguing and involved family history, but to be fair there is a ceratopian known from Australia, Serendipaceratops.There are remains suspected of being ceratopsian from Argentina {Notoceratops}, another from Belgium,and even from Sweden
      As to the whys and whats, it is assumed that the basal forms began in Asia and eastern areas of the continent. At some point during periods when there was land connectiong Asia and the Americas they migrated here and continued evolving....into different lines. There are now considered to be at least three seperate radiations of ceratopsians into the Americas.
   This has led to members of the Family Leptoceratopsidae being found here...ie.Gryphoceratops,Leptoceratops,Prenoceratops, and even Unsecoceratops.
Another radiation brought members of the Superfamily Ceratopsoidea, including Zuniceratops
And then you have the all the larger species that are found mostly here and in Canada...so basal in Asia and more derived here.As to why there are so many...if you establish Yinlong as the first of the line, which he almost surely was not, as there were likely more basal forms than it...but even then, Yinlong dates to the Mid Jurassic..and from that point on we have nearly constant samples of the family splitting and branching and becoming more widespread. To place it in context you are talking about a genus of dinosaur that we know began at least 158 million years ago and was around right up the end , when the dinosaurs became extinct, or almost a hundred million years ! That is alot of time to spread out, branch and seperate into many different types, and species. When you look at us, we have been around what....five to eight million years max? We all should hope to emulate the horned dinosaur family
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

FlawedCoil82

I am still new here so I do not know how to do multi-quote responses. But I will say that I am happy to see that I am not alone in wishing for a Centrosaurus, Einiosaurus or really any other classic ceratopsians that do not yet have a good respective figure. I feel like toy companies all want to be the first to release a newly discovered dinosaur, but they tend to forget that they could also be the first to make some figures for classic dinos as well. From what I have seen, the Battat Triceratops and Styracosaurus are the most visually pleasing toy representations of those two dinos (and Pachyrhinosaurus is pretty cool looking as well, though I favor the Safari version over Battats) but really I would be thrilled with Papo or Safari tackling a Centro (just in case Battat does decide to not do any more new sculpts).

That "Ceratopsian Cornucopia" image suspsy posted above is gorgeous!  I just ordered the book that is in! :) I realize once again this is off topic,  but since there are other Ceratopsian fans here, I was wondering if any of you have the "New Perspectives On Horned Dinosaurs" book? I realize it must be a more scientific type text book, but does it also feature any good art work of the animals as they were alive, or does it only feature like skeletal and musculatue type drawings/paintings (or no illustrations at all)?

Rogue1stClass

Quote from: Sim on February 14, 2016, 01:03:19 PM
Thanks for searching, and sharing that video!

You're welcome! I had to share it when I found it, because holy crap, that exists!

Quote from: terrorchicken on February 14, 2016, 11:44:42 PM
why were ceratopsians so numerous? there seem to be so many species(or is genus the correct term?) and new ones seem to be found every year.
Also why were they all located in the Americas(except for some earlier basal ones)?

Ceratopsians in North America were a lot like antelope are in Africa today. They were a lot of different kinds of them, but they were all fairly closely related and lived in the same areas at the same time. They used the different horn and frill combinations to differentiate themselves from each other. Also, and this is pure conjecture on my part, it's possible that these particular features bred in and out easily, allowing entire genera to spring up and die out in a few generations. It's even possible, I suppose, that at least some of these are different breed of the same animal. I believe this last is probably true of Triceratops and Torosaurus (though I do not believe they are different age stages of the same animal).

Dinoguy2

Quote from: terrorchicken on February 14, 2016, 11:44:42 PM

Because they're horrendously overspilt, with constant stream of new species named based on minor display features which were highly plastic during ontogeny and short evolutionary periods, so we're probably looking at very minor chronological differences in basically the same handful of species getting named as new genera. Just look at Rubeosaurus, a minor variation on Styracosaurs that's slightly more closely related to pachyrhinosaurs because it's one evolutionary step closer to them. Since cladograms can't show direct lineages, and we outlawed paraphyletic genera, it had to be given its own genus rather than being recognized as a later chronological sub-population of styracosaurs.

Because they are awesome! ;)

Daspletodave

Quote from: FlawedCoil82 on February 15, 2016, 04:14:07 AM
I am still new here so I do not know how to do multi-quote responses. But I will say that I am happy to see that I am not alone in wishing for a Centrosaurus, Einiosaurus or really any other classic ceratopsians that do not yet have a good respective figure. I feel like toy companies all want to be the first to release a newly discovered dinosaur, but they tend to forget that they could also be the first to make some figures for classic dinos as well. From what I have seen, the Battat Triceratops and Styracosaurus are the most visually pleasing toy representations of those two dinos (and Pachyrhinosaurus is pretty cool looking as well, though I favor the Safari version over Battats) but really I would be thrilled with Papo or Safari tackling a Centro (just in case Battat does decide to not do any more new sculpts).

That "Ceratopsian Cornucopia" image suspsy posted above is gorgeous!  I just ordered the book that is in! :) I realize once again this is off topic,  but since there are other Ceratopsian fans here, I was wondering if any of you have the "New Perspectives On Horned Dinosaurs" book? I realize it must be a more scientific type text book, but does it also feature any good art work of the animals as they were alive, or does it only feature like skeletal and musculatue type drawings/paintings (or no illustrations at all)?

I have "New Perspectives on Horned Dinosaurs" and it would NOT appeal to those who want pics of dinos in the flesh. Most of the diagrams are photos of actual remains - ie squamosals, teeth, horncores etc. Although packed with illustrations, very few depict the whole animal. Lots of skull reconstructions, that sort of thing.
The book is dated 2010, so many of the newer ceratopsians are described within.

terrorchicken

thanks for the info guys!

suspy- I wasnt familiar with sinoceratops, that one is definitely larger than the smaller basal ones. still wonder why we dont see larger sized ones evolved in Asia or is it just Asia has been less explored than North America?

Dinoguy2-lol! I have thought of that as well, like maybe some of these are just a subspecies like the King cheetah is today.

amargasaurus cazaui- I like the comparison to antelopes. Would that make the hadrosaurs the hippos and the sauropods the giraffes?  ;D

suspsy

I think it's perfectly plausible that there were other reasonably large ceratopsians in Asia. Whether or not they ever be discovered is another story.

amargasaurus cazaui

At thirteen feet, it was larger than most more basal ceratopsians....but also from the Asian area...Udanoceratops
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ItsTwentyBelow

This discussion on ceratopsians is all well and good, but could folks please realize and stop derailing this thread?

There has been nary a mention of the Battat line on this whole page...

Has anyone else been having luck finding Series 3 in their area lately?

suspsy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 16, 2016, 02:49:46 AM
At thirteen feet, it was larger than most more basal ceratopsians....but also from the Asian area...Udanoceratops

Huh. I'd never even heard of that one before. Love that great big lower jaw. Cool!

Shuvuuia

No such luck. I've checked all four local targets once a week since they started turning up. Two of those targets are running very low on any Terras, so there's hope!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: suspsy on February 16, 2016, 03:42:23 AM

Huh. I'd never even heard of that one before. Love that great big lower jaw. Cool!
Battat, there I mentioned it...
Yeah love that Undanoceratops, its highly unique. Course you know me and ceratopia....

suspsy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 16, 2016, 07:23:36 AM
Quote from: suspsy on February 16, 2016, 03:42:23 AM

Battat, there I mentioned it...
Yeah love that Undanoceratops, its highly unique. Course you know me and ceratopia....

There's also Ajkaceratops from Hungary. Pity we only have the nose to work with!

Oh, and Battat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: