News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daspletodave

I'm sure in another month or so all the Target stores will be well stocked with the 3 new Terra's. Maybe they just want to try to clear out the 4 old ones first.

Sim

I'm looking forward to eventually getting these!  I had the Ceratosaurus version 1 and Amargasaurus from the Battat MOS series when I was a kid.  I've never had the Battat Carnotaurus.

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 11, 2015, 06:06:51 AM
When the person I asked who worked there checked on her scanner device, she said that's all there was... the three new ones I found on the shelf. They had no more of any kind of TERRA Battat in back or any other kind that had come in and were out of. What I didn't ask specifically was if she could tell what was on order... if there were more of these three new ones on the way and if there were any other new ones they haven't had yet on there way. But I will definitely be going back again and checking. I'll ask these questions then. My Target isn't very far from my house, about a 10-15 drive. I am also curious if they know if there are any other different kind of new ones on the way! But from what her scanner was telling her, there weren't any other new types of repaints or TERRA Battat as of yet that had come in, just the three new ones I got that we've all seen now. They also still had a pretty good supply of last year's four TERRA Battat dinos still in stock.... mostly Pachy's and Cryoloph's. They only had one or two left of the Dacentrurus and Nanshiungosaurus. I found it interesting to see which ones from last year were more popular and still selling better this year.
Thanks for this, Meso-Cenozoic! :)

Gwangi

I'm checking on that inventory checker every day and coming up empty. I'm way too excited about these re-paints, especially the Carnotaurus. The Carnotautus is one of my favorite Battat models. And even though I like the old paint job, this one has one of the best re-paints I think.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Sim on July 11, 2015, 07:54:49 PM
I'm looking forward to eventually getting these!  I had the Ceratosaurus version 1 and Amargasaurus from the Battat MOS series when I was a kid.  I've never had the Battat Carnotaurus.

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 11, 2015, 06:06:51 AM
When the person I asked who worked there checked on her scanner device, she said that's all there was... the three new ones I found on the shelf. They had no more of any kind of TERRA Battat in back or any other kind that had come in and were out of. What I didn't ask specifically was if she could tell what was on order... if there were more of these three new ones on the way and if there were any other new ones they haven't had yet on there way. But I will definitely be going back again and checking. I'll ask these questions then. My Target isn't very far from my house, about a 10-15 drive. I am also curious if they know if there are any other different kind of new ones on the way! But from what her scanner was telling her, there weren't any other new types of repaints or TERRA Battat as of yet that had come in, just the three new ones I got that we've all seen now. They also still had a pretty good supply of last year's four TERRA Battat dinos still in stock.... mostly Pachy's and Cryoloph's. They only had one or two left of the Dacentrurus and Nanshiungosaurus. I found it interesting to see which ones from last year were more popular and still selling better this year.
Thanks for this, Meso-Cenozoic! :)

No problem! :) BTW, I just noticed I didn't put anything after "10-15" drive. My Target's only a 10-15 minute drive (not miles). Hehe! In other words, really close and easy to go back to repeatedly! ;)

I agree, Gwangi! Some people find the repaint on the Carno a bit uninspiring or a little boring. I really like its subtlety! Actually, because the new paint job is lighter and more subtle, you can see the details better, which did get a bit covered by the original red and black. (Although he is very demonic-badass in those colors! >:D)

Gwangi

I can't wait to have it in-hand. I'm very curious to see how it compares to the Carnegie and Papo models.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Gwangi on July 11, 2015, 11:49:15 PM
I can't wait to have it in-hand. I'm very curious to see how it compares to the Carnegie and Papo models.

Here's a quick comparison pic of my Carnotaurus figures. (I think that's all of them I have?)

Something a little off I noticed about the re-painted Battat figure.... the back left foot's toes curl up. I noticed that on Blade's too. I didn't realize how much they curved upwards until taking this pic and comparing them to the original, which don't curl up at all. I think you can see them in this pic. It doesn't seem to affect it standing since it rests on the tip of its tail also. It just looks odd. ???

Another thing I noticed that was actually a pleasant surprise, my new version Carnegie Carno stands up without resting on its tail in tripod stance! Ever since I got him, I've always had him displayed on his plastic base. But now when I took him off of it for the pic, he was standing on just his two feet no matter where or what I sat him on. Too bad you can't see the end of his tail in this pic. But I promise it's definitely not touching. Cool! 8)

Gwangi

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 12, 2015, 12:59:13 AM

Here's a quick comparison pic of my Carnotaurus figures. (I think that's all of them I have?)

Something a little off I noticed about the re-painted Battat figure.... the back left foot's toes curl up. I noticed that on Blade's too. I didn't realize how much they curved upwards until taking this pic and comparing them to the original, which don't curl up at all. I think you can see them in this pic. It doesn't seem to affect it standing since it rests on the tip of its tail also. It just looks odd. ???

Another thing I noticed that was actually a pleasant surprise, my new version Carnegie Carno stands up without resting on its tail in tripod stance! Ever since I got him, I've always had him displayed on his plastic base. But now when I took him off of it for the pic, he was standing on just his two feet no matter where or what I sat him on. Too bad you can't see the end of his tail in this pic. But I promise it's definitely not touching. Cool! 8)

Seeing it next to the old Battat makes the new paint job look even better. And it stands up pretty well compaired to the other two pieces (I won't acknowledge the old Carnegie). Amazing when you consider its age, the Battat models really were the best of their time.

It's always fun having a model that's an accidental biped. I have a few like that too.

Don B.

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 12, 2015, 12:59:13 AM

Did you try standing the new Battat on the two feet, without the tail. I noticed that the Carnegie Gigantosaurus would point his toes up when in tripod position. I tilted him forward slightly and he was fine on two legs. You might have to reposition slightly.

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Don B. on July 12, 2015, 02:55:07 AM
Did you try standing the new Battat on the two feet, without the tail. I noticed that the Carnegie Gigantosaurus would point his toes up when in tripod position. I tilted him forward slightly and he was fine on two legs. You might have to reposition slightly.

Aha! I see what you mean. The back left foot's toes are bent because he's suppose to lean forward, making him stand only on his two feet without the support of the tail. I've had my original Battat for so long I'd forgotten about that. I guess I had just left him on the shelf all these years in his tripod position for extra stability. So I tried this first with the original Carno and he does stand nicely on his two feet, with his tail raised slightly off the ground. Then I tried the new repaint version and kerplop! Over he went!! Here's the problem... the new Carno is made of a much softer plastic than the original. You can especially notice this in the legs and ankles. They're really soft and flexible! That was the problem with a lot of the original Battat figures. But their original Carno for some reason was made with a much stiffer plastic. So his legs and ankles are very firm, allowing him to stand upright without being in the tripod pose. This new one is just too soft. I thought this was to be corrected with the reissues? This is actually the first of all the new ones out so far that I've taken out of the box. Since I have all of them, I guess I should check them now to see if the other bipedal figures have the same problem. -- Cryolophosaurus, Ceratosaurus, and the Nanshiungosaurus.

And thanks, Joossa, for the compliment! It didn't turn out too bad considering how quickly I ran outside before the sun set and took it. ;)

terrorchicken

the repainted carno looks so much better, the original head paint gave him this googly eyed look.
Is the Papo carno 1:40 scale? I may get him since carnotaurus is my favorite theropod but I dont collect Papos.

Dinomike

Do these sell online as well? I checked Dan's Dinosaurs but he didn't have them yet.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

DinoLord

Last time we asked, Dan Lorusso said that Battat was still deciding whether or not these'd be Target exclusives.

Sim

Quote from: Gwangi on July 11, 2015, 10:18:00 PM
I'm checking on that inventory checker every day and coming up empty. I'm way too excited about these re-paints, especially the Carnotaurus. The Carnotautus is one of my favorite Battat models. And even though I like the old paint job, this one has one of the best re-paints I think.
If I could realistically get to a Target I'd be checking on that inventory checker every day too!  Hehe!  By the way, where is the animation in your signature from?  Are two of the species in it Herrerasaurus and Saurosuchus?

Thanks for the nice photo Meso-Cenozoic!  It's great seeing the Terra Carnotaurus out of its box, and seeing it compared to the original Battat Carno!

Meso-Cenozoic

You're welcome, Sim!

BTW, sometimes when I click on a pic I've posted here from my Photobucket, it only opens up in a new tab at about the same size. And sometimes it goes to my Photobucket page. I mention this because yesterday when I clicked on this pic here it only came up in a new tab about the same size. But today when I clicked on it, it went over to my Photobucket page where you can click on the "View Image" icon that looks like a magnifying glass and see its original XL size.

So anyway, in case when you click on the pic here and it doesn't go to my Photobucket page to see the original size, here's the direct link if you want to see any of these Carno's more up close and personal. ;)

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/BSistheBest/media/IMG_1863%20copy%20copy2_zpsizuatkel.jpg.html

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on July 13, 2015, 12:04:19 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 11, 2015, 10:18:00 PM
If I could realistically get to a Target I'd be checking on that inventory checker every day too!  Hehe!  By the way, where is the animation in your signature from?  Are two of the species in it Herrerasaurus and Saurosuchus?

Thanks for the nice photo Meso-Cenozoic!  It's great seeing the Terra Carnotaurus out of its box, and seeing it compared to the original Battat Carno!

The animation in my sig. is from the 1992 4-part PBS documentary "The Dinosaurs!" which can be viewed on YouTube. There were a ton of great animations in that documentary and yes, this one does depict Herrarasaurus and at least some kind of rauisuchid.

terrorchicken

^I remember that show and even vhs taped the animated segments when they reran it later, b/c the animation was so awesome! Id love to see a whole movie about dinosaurs done in this style. In some ways I actually like it better than CGI...

Gwangi

Quote from: terrorchicken on July 13, 2015, 06:34:33 PM
^I remember that show and even vhs taped the animated segments when they reran it later, b/c the animation was so awesome! Id love to see a whole movie about dinosaurs done in this style. In some ways I actually like it better than CGI...

I love the animations too, and the stop motion dinosaurs from documentaries like "Dinosaur!" hosted by Christopher Reeves. A few CGI shows do a reasonable job but generally speaking the CGI in most dino-shows is crap. You can tell when watching those older documentaries that a lot of care, research and craftsmanship were involved. Or maybe I'm just getting old and nostalgic.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 12, 2015, 06:57:25 AM

This new one is just too soft. I thought this was to be corrected with the reissues? This is actually the first of all the new ones out so far that I've taken out of the box. Since I have all of them, I guess I should check them now to see if the other bipedal figures have the same problem. -- Cryolophosaurus, Ceratosaurus, and the Nanshiungosaurus.

My Cryolophosaurus had the same problem initially, especially since it heated up in my hot car on the way home! Thankfully, though my apartment can get kinda warm and stuffy, I haven't had the problem since. It's still pretty easy to bend the legs if you push on them, but it stays up fine on its own if you don't set it in the sun. I actually put mine in the fridge for an hour when I first noticed the issue just to bring it down to a more reasonable temperature and stiffness.

I can't say anything about the Ceratosaurus until I get it, but I imagine the Nanshiungosaurus shouldn't really have too much of an issue; it's pretty thick-limbed, even if it's made of the same soft plastic.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on July 13, 2015, 09:07:22 PM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 12, 2015, 06:57:25 AM

This new one is just too soft. I thought this was to be corrected with the reissues? This is actually the first of all the new ones out so far that I've taken out of the box. Since I have all of them, I guess I should check them now to see if the other bipedal figures have the same problem. -- Cryolophosaurus, Ceratosaurus, and the Nanshiungosaurus.

My Cryolophosaurus had the same problem initially, especially since it heated up in my hot car on the way home! Thankfully, though my apartment can get kinda warm and stuffy, I haven't had the problem since. It's still pretty easy to bend the legs if you push on them, but it stays up fine on its own if you don't set it in the sun. I actually put mine in the fridge for an hour when I first noticed the issue just to bring it down to a more reasonable temperature and stiffness.

I can't say anything about the Ceratosaurus until I get it, but I imagine the Nanshiungosaurus shouldn't really have too much of an issue; it's pretty thick-limbed, even if it's made of the same soft plastic.

I still haven't taken any of the others out of their boxes yet. So I can't comment on any of the other bipedals. But I swear my Carno's legs and ankles are almost like chewing gum! LOL! And he's been in an air conditioned house now for the past few days. In fact, he's never been in anything but air conditioning... the store, my minivan, and now my house. All cool. I think it's just the plastic. I'm going to have to take out my others and check them as well now. Maybe the Carno's the worst? :-\

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: