You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 21, 2015, 05:17:30 PM

Try getting this to balance!

That illustrates the point well. Bipeds are always just stopping themselves from falling over.

Quote from: terrorchicken on August 21, 2015, 07:12:23 PM
base>>>tripod>>>big feet IMO :)

I'm definitely with you on bases, but I can kinda see why some people don't like them for actual play. Maybe Favorite-style removable bases are the best compromise.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

But even those Favorite models have difficultly standing, the legs warp and bend so that they often end up falling off the base anyway. With CollectA they typically lean over. There really is no perfect solution and will appease everyone. Like you, I'm very forgiving towards theropod models. As long as they stand, I'm happy. Even if they don't, that won't stop me from buying a model I really like.

stargatedalek

I think things like the Favorite leg warping and CollectA bending are best chocked up to material choices and quality control. In terms of the idea, I can't really fault the Favorite Kinto bases and I do feel like that general idea is the best, even if Favorite Kinto didn't execute it amazingly.

bigbear

I've started making my own bases out of clear pouring resin. Make up a base out of plasticine, or air-dry clay, or whatever and when you're happy with it, make a mould of that base and then pour in your resin. When dry, you have a crystal clear, personalised base which is exactly to your own design and liking. I realise that not everybody wants to do all of this, but once each base is made, it's made for life! I usually do the footprint thing, described above and then add a tail support, all of which fit under the model and not around it. Cast in clear resin, it is pretty much invisible. I'd rather pay $9 and fiddle around for a bit than not be able to afford the thing in the first place!

Concavenator

Sim

It might be that the Favorite and CollectA figures that fall over despite having a permanent or removable base would stand fine with better material choice/quality control.  I think this applies to figures without bases too though.

If using a hard plastic isn't enough to keep a figure standing on its own, I would personally then prefer a figure balanced with tail/hand/arm feather tip just brushing against the ground.  I don't like tripods where the figure is put into a rearing pose that looks forced and boring - this is how I feel about most of the Carnegie tripods.

I don't like bases as I like having just the animal without anything else like food, earth, etc. attached to it which would limit imagination/get in the way.  I also don't like the animal figure having holes under its feet which is what Favorite has been doing to connect the figure to its detachable base.

I don't like oversized feet, but the worst for me is definitely too wide hips - something I've only seen done by CollectA which doesn't seem to have been of much help?  It looks awful!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Sim on August 22, 2015, 12:36:33 AM
If using a hard plastic isn't enough to keep a figure standing on its own, I would personally then prefer a figure balanced with tail/hand/arm feather tip just brushing against the ground.  I don't like tripods where the figure is put into a rearing pose that looks forced and boring - this is how I feel about most of the Carnegie tripods.

I don't mind tripods too much if they're obviously rearing, I think the problem only comes in when the pose implies a much more flexible tail than in reality. Tripodism doesn't work at all for deinonychosaurs, in my opinion.

I think the most recent Safari (not Carnegie) Velociraptor nailed the "arm brushing ground" look you're describing. It helped the figure balance in a more natural way, and gave the figure an active look that really suited it. Why, why WHY did it have to be naked though??? It wouldv'e been a perfect figure otherwise.

Victoria's Cantina

After getting my first Battat/Terra dinosaur earlier this week (the T-Rex) I went back to look at the others, and my husband was kind enough to buy me the Acro and the Pachy!

I feel like the paint looks splotchy on the Pachy, but this was actually the best of the four they had.

One of my YouTube subscribers told me they found the Carnotaurus. Has anyone else seen it?

Also, can anyone please tell me what has already been released so far in this repaint line other than the three I already have? I'm interested in going back and picking up what I may have missed.

Ichthyosaur

Quote from: Victoria B on August 22, 2015, 10:01:48 AM

One of my YouTube subscribers told me they found the Carnotaurus. Has anyone else seen it?

Also, can anyone please tell me what has already been released so far in this repaint line other than the three I already have? I'm interested in going back and picking up what I may have missed.
I haven't seen the Carno yet but it's been reported.
Actually your pachy isn't a repaint, it's an all new sculpt for the Terra line.
Here's the official website:
http://www.terrauniverse.com/dinosaurs

This is everything that's been out so far or at least reported...

Recent releases(Repaints)

These 4 new sculpts have been out for a long time now so you may have to resort to online to find them if they're not still on shelf. 

Also...Here are the 3 shelf tags I've seen and the DPCI#s so you can check on Brickseek or in-store.  But several use the same DPCI.  Hope this helps. Good luck!!...

"The Age of Reptiles" Rudolph Franz Zallinger 1947

Sim

All 9 of the figures Ichthyosaur posted pictures of have been released, several people have posted photos of theirs including the Carnotaurus.  Some photos can be found earlier in this thread or on The Dinosaur Studio Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheDinosaurStudio

Shuvuuia

I've seen all nine of the mentioned dinosaurs at a local Target, and I've managed to pick up all but one of them (still waiting on a less sloppy Amargosaurus paintjob). They look pretty good all standing around together, even if they are pretty predator heavy at the moment.

Just got the Ceratosaurus two days ago. It's the first restock of the new wave of Battats I've seen. Man, I had this model as a kid in the original green, and this guy brings back some serious nostalgia. No idea what happened to him though. All I've got left is my Gallimimus from the old collection. Wish I knew what happened to my Diplodocus...

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Ichthyosaur on August 22, 2015, 11:53:11 AM
I haven't seen the Carno yet but it's been reported.
Actually your pachy isn't a repaint, it's an all new sculpt for the Terra line.
Here's the official website:
http://www.terrauniverse.com/dinosaurs

This is everything that's been out so far or at least reported...Also...Here are the 3 shelf tags I've seen and the DPCI#s so you can check on Brickseek or in-store.  But several use the same DPCI.  Hope this helps. Good luck!!...[/URL]

Thanks so much for the information! This is very helpful.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on August 21, 2015, 11:46:50 PM
Where can you get these if you're in Europe?

Right now there doesn't seem to be any distribution in Europe on Battat's end. But they're popping up on eBay, and some US forum members have been picking them up for European members. So far only 3 of the new ones have shown up in my neighborhood, but I've picked them up for a Belgian member. I'd be happy to look for some for you as well.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Takama

Quote from: Victoria B on August 22, 2015, 10:01:48 AM
After getting my first Battat/Terra dinosaur earlier this week (the T-Rex) I went back to look at the others, and my husband was kind enough to buy me the Acro and the Pachy!

I feel like the paint looks splotchy on the Pachy, but this was actually the best of the four they had.

As far as i know.   the only other epaints out there are the  Carnotaurus, Ceratosaurus, and Amargasaurus.      The Euoplocephalus, Stegosaurus, and PArasaurolophus are not out yet.     OF course theres also the Dacentrurus, Nashiungosaurus, and Crylophosaurus. that were released last year.

Sim

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 21, 2015, 04:43:26 PM
I know it's not a good fix, but I left my rex in a hot car parked for about two hours. It now stands perfectly fine.

When you left it in the car, did you leave it lying outside of its box?  If so, I would guess the heat made it revert to its original, more stable shape.  If this was done to the Acrocanthosaurus, I wonder if it would revert to standing on just its feet?

amargasaurus cazaui

Shouldnt we like call Peta or something if you left your Rex in a hot car?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shuvuuia

PETPD people for the ethical treatment of plastic dinosaurs will hear of your crimes!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Sim on August 22, 2015, 11:22:15 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 21, 2015, 04:43:26 PM
I know it's not a good fix, but I left my rex in a hot car parked for about two hours. It now stands perfectly fine.

When you left it in the car, did you leave it lying outside of its box?  If so, I would guess the heat made it revert to its original, more stable shape.  If this was done to the Acrocanthosaurus, I wonder if it would revert to standing on just its feet?

I left them in the package. But if you do that, be careful with the twist ties. They affect the plastic much more when it's that soft. I'm extremely pleased with how well it stands up. I'll take pics next week.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Takama on August 22, 2015, 07:45:33 PMOF course theres also the Dacentrurus, Nashiungosaurus, and Crylophosaurus. that were released last year.

None of those are repaints, correct?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Victoria B on August 23, 2015, 08:00:49 AM
Quote from: Takama on August 22, 2015, 07:45:33 PMOF course theres also the Dacentrurus, Nashiungosaurus, and Crylophosaurus. that were released last year.

None of those are repaints, correct?
Those were all new sculpts...no repaints
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: