You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georassic

Quote from: Gwangi on August 26, 2014, 06:17:50 PM

Actually, I tend to disagree. Naturally you have to be cautious of the information provided (anywhere for the matter, even books make mistakes) but when it comes to dinosaurs there really does not seem to be a solid database of information regarding specific genera, except for Wikipedia. Just make sure sources are provided and do some fact checking if something seems off. I quite like Wikipedia personally.

Agree, Gwangi. I am as layman as it gets when it comes to dino-knowledge. Hanging around this forum has only taught me how little I know. I always try to find several online sources beside Wiki when researching scientific info about a potential new dino for my collection. If the material is heavily referenced at the bottom of the wiki-entry, it typically correlates well with any other info-source I can find.

Concavenator

Confidently,I must say,I'm pretty excited for the upcoming fluffy Utahraptor  ;D

amanda

Meanwhile, in a non-fuzzy world.... What are the odds that on the Amargasaurus we could get just the neck spines, and NOT the sail?

Well...meds still make my world fuzzy, just not fluffy......

loru1588

Quote from: amanda on September 04, 2014, 10:35:05 AM
Meanwhile, in a non-fuzzy world.... What are the odds that on the Amargasaurus we could get just the neck spines, and NOT the sail?

Well...meds still make my world fuzzy, just not fluffy......

Cutting down the sail or eliminating it is being discussed.

John

I love the work you do and I hope to see it continue for years to come. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Daspletodave

Hello Dan.  I love the original Battat MOS series - kudos to you and Greg. I think it's great that you are giving forum members this opportunity for their input so you can tweak the originals. However, you can't please all of the people all of the time, so in the end just do what you feel is right!
That being said, here is my two cents worth: the frill on Triceratops is overly thick. I don't know if that was because of the soft rubber being used? Also the horn and spikes on Styracosaurus seem a bit too long.
And no feathers on T-Rex!
Any idea as to which version of T-Rex, Dilophosaurus, or Ceratosaurus will be reissued? Personally I vote for T-Rex #1 (the original release), Dilophosaurus #3 (the tripod) and Ceratosaurus #2 (the tripod).
And finally, I read somewhere that had the original MOS series continued, the Lambeosaurus was scheduled to be in the next batch?

amanda

Quote from: Daspletodave on September 05, 2014, 01:39:05 AM
Hello Dan.  I love the original Battat MOS series - kudos to you and Greg. I think it's great that you are giving forum members this opportunity for their input so you can tweak the originals. However, you can't please all of the people all of the time, so in the end just do what you feel is right!
That being said, here is my two cents worth: the frill on Triceratops is overly thick. I don't know if that was because of the soft rubber being used? Also the horn and spikes on Styracosaurus seem a bit too long.
And no feathers on T-Rex!
Any idea as to which version of T-Rex, Dilophosaurus, or Ceratosaurus will be reissued? Personally I vote for T-Rex #1 (the original release), Dilophosaurus #3 (the tripod) and Ceratosaurus #2 (the tripod).
And finally, I read somewhere that had the original MOS series continued, the Lambeosaurus was scheduled to be in the next batch?

He's mentioned a couple of times now that the versions being released are the version 3 figures.

loru1588

There was no tripod Ceratosaurus that I'm aware of Daspletodave

loru1588

The pic in your post Takama is how the resin master was made. The pic in the link just has a droopy tail. One of the initial problems with the 1st series was the plastic was softer, more pliable and tended to droop or splay which led to most of the standing problems.

DinoLord

Takama's pic is from my review of the Ceratosaurus. Mine stands really well. The mini one I have however is much more susceptible to falling. Were the minis by any chance made from a different material?

loru1588

I believe the minis were made from the same material. They were not sculpted, they were pantagraphed so they are not true to the original sculpts due to the technology back then. That's one reason they look a little funky and some don't stand up quite right.

Sim

The Battat Ceratosaurus I had when I was a kid stood only on its feet, so it wasn't a tripod.  It always stood fine, and I liked the natural pose it was in.

It seems more than one person has a later version of the Ceratosaurus, where its tail curves to the ground making it stand as a tripod.  Unlike the version 3 Battat Tyrannosaurus and Dilophosaurus which are improvements over their predecessors, this 'version 2' Ceratosaurus is worse than its predecessor!

'Version 1' which stands on only its feet.  It looks natural and like a real animal.

'Version 2' where the tail curves to the ground making it a tripod.  I don't think a Ceratosaurus could or would do that in real life.  It doesn't look natural or realistic (outside of an injured animal) and it destroys the fluidity and awesomeness of the original sculpt.

I really hope the re-issue is the 'version 1' Ceratosaurus!  Although what Dan's said has made me wonder if the 'version 2' Ceratosaurus are actually accidentally warped 'version 1s'?

loru1588

I know I had nothing to do with that!! The 1st Tyrannosaurus had "bumps" put on the bottom of the feet for the initial fix and then "snowshoes". These were both factory "fixes" that Greg & I had nothing to do with. Similarly, the 1st Dilophosaurus was given a base. We were then commissioned to do 2 new sculpts.

Sim

Quote from: loru1588 on September 05, 2014, 10:09:57 PM
I know I had nothing to do with that!! The 1st Tyrannosaurus had "bumps" put on the bottom of the feet for the initial fix and then "snowshoes". These were both factory "fixes" that Greg & I had nothing to do with. Similarly, the 1st Dilophosaurus was given a base. We were then commissioned to do 2 new sculpts.
Thanks for explaining this!  I'd been thinking the bumps under the feet of Tyrannosaurus version 1 were part of the original sculpt!  The curved tail on Ceratosaurus version 2 seems like another intentional factory "fix".  I think it's the opposite of a fix though!

0thebigwytec5

Hi Dan,

Any chance of releasing any of the dinos on the chart "Who's in the Family" at the MOS? Each time I go to the museum, the dino area is the first place I visit :) Did you make that chart? When I posted the pic of the chart in the old Battat thread, I know that some members were wondering if there was supposed to be a second wave or release of dinos based upon that chart, considering the dinos on the chart have the same color schemes as the released toys.

Quote from: 0thebigwytec5 on October 07, 2013, 02:27:26 PM

Did you make the mural that is on the wall?

Off-topic question here for Dan as well, but were you able to attend the Dino Day at the museum last year, when they had Jack Horner and a few other paleontologists? Are you still in the Boston area by chance / did the museum contact you about re-introducing the line? Each time I go in the gift shop, I hope to find the original Battats (hoping that they had found a box of old stock that was long forgotten about).

Gryphoceratops

That chart was actually illustrated by Larry Felder.  He gave me the original of the Pachycephalosaurus as a gift, actually.  (Am I bragging?...yes.  I suppose I am.)

DC

The original T rex was an impressive figure and still is.  I cannot communicate the impact it had on me when I first saw it.  The comparison was my first exposure to the Carnegie line after growing up with Marx and Timmee figures.  Now we are jaded by a wider range of mach 2 style dinosaurs.  I would hope that a change in the production process , longer mold time, or a stiffer medium could fix the problem.  Keep the rest as it is.  Seems to me it would be more effective to do a new figure, than retool the mold for classic, given the technology changes since the original release. 
You can never have too many dinosaurs

John

Quote from: DC on September 17, 2014, 09:25:40 PM
The original T rex was an impressive figure and still is.  I cannot communicate the impact it had on me when I first saw it.  The comparison was my first exposure to the Carnegie line after growing up with Marx and Timmee figures.  Now we are jaded by a wider range of mach 2 style dinosaurs.  I would hope that a change in the production process , longer mold time, or a stiffer medium could fix the problem.  Keep the rest as it is.  Seems to me it would be more effective to do a new figure, than retool the mold for classic, given the technology changes since the original release.
That is a very good point.It WOULD be better to just see new models than just retooling the old molds for the classic ones.Instead of a retooled Triceratops or Styracosaurus,imagine seeing a new Centrosaurus or Einiosaurus turn up as additions instead. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: