You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

And I was able round up all the newly re-released Battat's  ;D
I really like the colors. Like what everyone else has already stated, they are fabulous figure ;)
[
If you want to view more original vs new comparison, you can check out the Battat Dynasty thread, cheer, and happy hunting ;D

Arul

Thank you for sharing Boki nice picture as always  :D i like the amarga, and still waiting for the repainted diplo that i love the most :)

Paleona

This thread has had me so hyped, I just had to check my local Target today, haha.  :))  Happily, they were very nicely stocked, with all of the Terra series dinos released so far on the shelves, except for the Nanshiungosaurus.  Super exciting!  I hastily grabbed the T.rex first, followed by the Acro.  The Dacentrurus won me over, as well.
I'm especially smitten with the rex... such an amazing model!

Trexroarr

I finally found the Rex at my local Target! But what a nightmare it has been to try to get him to stand! I feel like I went back in time almost 20 years and am dealing with the original Battat Rex! Anyone else have this issue with the new one? I'm going to go back to Target tomorrow and hopefully swap him for a new one.

Come check out The Paleo Handbook, today!

Gwangi

Quote from: Trexroarr on August 24, 2015, 03:16:54 AM
I finally found the Rex at my local Target! But what a nightmare it has been to try to get him to stand! I feel like I went back in time almost 20 years and am dealing with the original Battat Rex! anime else have this issue with the new one? I'm going to go back to Target tomorrow and hopefully swap him for a new one.

They're all doing that, honestly I wouldn't waste your time swapping it. Every member that's got one has the issue. It's just too forward heavy and the material used is too soft. That said, it seems sticking something small like a coin or button under the left foot helps support it.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 23, 2015, 01:09:35 AM
Quote from: Sim on August 22, 2015, 11:22:15 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 21, 2015, 04:43:26 PM
I know it's not a good fix, but I left my rex in a hot car parked for about two hours. It now stands perfectly fine.

When you left it in the car, did you leave it lying outside of its box?  If so, I would guess the heat made it revert to its original, more stable shape.  If this was done to the Acrocanthosaurus, I wonder if it would revert to standing on just its feet?

I left them in the package. But if you do that, be careful with the twist ties. They affect the plastic much more when it's that soft. I'm extremely pleased with how well it stands up. I'll take pics next week.

Thou shalt be crowned king of the forum should what thou sayst prove true!

DC

So is the repainted Ceratosaurus the tail up or the revised tail down?
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: DC on August 25, 2015, 01:41:35 AM

Mine balances on its tail.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Takama

Quote from: DC on August 25, 2015, 01:41:35 AM

It can stand without the support of the tail, but the tail is curved downwards to support the model.

Victoria's Cantina

Is anyone else's Acro leaning this badly? The left arm is tucked inward like it's being held in a cast. One of my YouTube subscribers sent me a photo of theirs and it looks like theirs has a straighter arm that allows it to balance on its front claws.

Mine:

Theirs:

Blade-of-the-Moon

Did it get warm? The arm may have bent due to heat and weight. Should be correctable but given the same factors it's possible it will do it again.

Victoria's Cantina

It's been warm outside, but we've been using the air condition as long as I've had it (since last Friday). I barely got around to opening it up on Tuesday and it was already like that.

Gwangi

Mine stands on the claw tip like that last photo you posted. Now I wonder if the continued strain over time will cause it end up more like yours.

Sim

This reminds me of something ItsTwentyBelow said earlier.

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on August 04, 2015, 11:05:10 PM
A word on the Acro re-release, though. One of the two others I observed on the shelf today was tied down to the box to the point where it was pretty much resting on its whole right forearm! Not very attractive. I'm very happy with mine.

The extent which the Acrocanthosaurus rests on its forearm could be due to how it was tied to the box.  If so, it might be worth exchanging it for one that doesn't lean so badly.  Another thing that might be worth trying is making the plastic warm which might make it revert to its original position?  If you try this, be careful not to melt the plastic though!  Maybe putting it in hot water, or leaving it in a naturally hot area like in a hot car?

Paleona

Quote from: Victoria B on August 27, 2015, 06:09:47 AM
Is anyone else's Acro leaning this badly? The left arm is tucked inward like it's being held in a cast. One of my YouTube subscribers sent me a photo of theirs and it looks like theirs has a straighter arm that allows it to balance on its front claws.

Ha, that was me!  :))  I'm going to agree with the others and say that you might want to try the hot water trick... it might work pretty well since the plastic is so pliable already.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Paleona on August 27, 2015, 02:13:16 PM
Ha, that was me!  :))  I'm going to agree with the others and say that you might want to try the hot water trick... it might work pretty well since the plastic is so pliable already.

A word of warning, though: the softness of the plastic also means that you have to be more careful than you would otherwise. If you're heating water on the stovetop with a pot or saucepan, the plastic will melt if it touches the heated cookware. That happened to me just yesterday: I've been trying to straighten out the Rex's tail using the hot water trick and I carelessly touched the front of the lower jaw to the inside of the saucepan at one point. I didn't think much of it at the time because I've been doing this with Star Wars figures for years and the plastic on those is strong enough to withstand that much heat, but not so with these new Battats. It's my fault, of course, but that's the point: just be mindful.

On the plus side, I immediately ran to Target to pick up a new Rex and this one stands much better than the previous. My now-deformed figure would flop over even when its left foot was propped up as others have suggested--that's why I was trying to straighten the tail for better balance--but the new one has stayed standing for a while now.

One more note: boiling water will also fix any kinks or dents in the figure's plastic left by the package's twisty ties. Just, y'know, see above.

Paleona

Sorry to hear about your damaged rex!  I was thinking more along the lines of hot, running tap water or a hair dryer on a low setting, to be safe.  I've actually never attempted to fix warped figures, but I may have to test it out on some JW stuff...

To stay on topic, I've opted to use one of those tiny sword toothpicks to keep my Terra Tyrannosaurus standing.  Having a coin under his foot worked ok, but the toothpick is much more stable, and puts my mind at ease that he won't randomly fall over during the night, haha.  It's not super attractive, but it works.  In a way, he looks a bit surprised, like he's being impaled. xD  (sorry for the poor quality pic, just a quick one taken indoors.)

terrorchicken

the twist ties marking/denting the plastic is very familiar to me. Im a doll collector and this always happens to doll's feet when they tie them to the box liner. They end up with big dents on their ankles. I wonder if the hot water trick would fix that as well.

Ive decided to leave my t-rex and acro in their boxes since I have the originals already. But I wonder if I should loosen the ties a bit so they wont become marked.

Gwangi

All these pictures of the impaled Tyrannosaurus remind me of the end scene in "Planet of Dinosaurs".  :P

joossa

How about using a hair drier instead of water?

Gwangi, I love your new avatar!  ;)
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: