News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

brontodocus' collection

Started by brontodocus, March 13, 2012, 02:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneage

:)  Nice shelves and everything is so orderly!

brontodocus

I've been tidying up just for you! ;D No, that was one of the few parts of my collection that actually can be shown in photos, much of the rest is stowed away. :-[ There's one more cabinet like these with the shapeways figures hanging next to my desk, I'll have to rearrange the models a little but I guess I'll show that one soon. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

brontodocus

:) Just finished painting this one:

Paleocraft Thylacoleo carnifex by Sean Cooper, scale approx. 1:8 - the stripes on the back follow a native Australian cave art of what has been assumed to possibly depict Thylacoleo.

And as Helge pointed out correctly, my Paleocraft collection now consists of seven models, all of which have been painted by myself:

Back row (from left to right): Uintatherium; Thylacoleo; Platybelodon. Middle ground: Moa (Dinornis giganteus); "Dinohyus" (=Daeodon). Foreground: "Indricotherium" (=Paraceratherium"); Thylacosmilus.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

postsaurischian

Wow, the Thylacoleo looks brilliant :D!

Quote from: brontodocus on March 26, 2012, 04:36:43 PM
....... as Helge pointed out correctly, my Paleocraft collection now consists of seven models, all of which have been painted by myself:
Back row (from left to right): Uintatherium; Thylacoleo; Platybelodon. Middle ground: Moa (Dinornis giganteus); "Dinohyus" (=Daeodon). Foreground: "Indricotherium" (=Paraceratherium"); Thylacosmilus.

No, I was wrong. If I'm counting right, there are 8 models altogether.
You forgot to mention the Andrewsarchus ;D.

brontodocus

D'oh! :-[ ;D
Quote from: brontodocus on March 23, 2012, 04:50:16 PM
Gosh, I've forgotten how to count! I hate it when that happens... :( ;D
It seems it happens more often than I thought... If I could count (which I obviously can't), I could tell you how often... ;D

Himmapaan

Quote from: brontodocus on March 27, 2012, 12:05:13 AM
D'oh! :-[ ;D
Quote from: brontodocus on March 23, 2012, 04:50:16 PM
Gosh, I've forgotten how to count! I hate it when that happens... :( ;D
It seems it happens more often than I thought... If I could count (which I obviously can't), I could tell you how often... ;D
Take comfort: I can't count either.  ;D

It's always impressive seeing painted models together like this.

Bokisaurus

Really impressive collection of desktop model! And all painted by you,too, the more impressive.  :)

brontodocus

Quote from: Himmapaan on March 27, 2012, 12:23:46 AM
Take comfort: I can't count either.  ;D
Thank you, Niroot! :)) So you and me would already be three peope with dyscalculia here... :o ;D
Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 27, 2012, 04:25:28 AM
Really impressive collection of desktop model! And all painted by you,too, the more impressive.  :)
Thanks, Boki! :) I was so worried I might ruin it before I painted my first one (which was the Thylacosmilus) but it's actually not been that difficult (except for the eyes, maybe). Assembling the Thylacoleo was less easy than the other models, though, and I decided to fix it to its dead tree with epoxy, I was too worried it might slide off of it and get damaged.

brontodocus

:) Hehe, it only took me one and a half years to finally decide to paint the David Krentz / The Antediluvia Collection Acrocanthosaurus:

Together with the Tenontosaurus:

Tylosaurus

That one turned out very well man, it was a good idea after all right ! :D 8)

brontodocus

Thanks, Tylosaurus! :) When I bought it I had less practise in painting figures and didn't dare to colour this one. But since then I've been painting models that are only half of the size of the Acrocanthosaurus (especially the shapeways minis by David Krentz) so I thought I could give it a try. For those interested: The basic yellow colour and the claws, osteoderms and the (rather subtle) longitudinal stripes along the sail were made with different pigment pens (Pitt artist pen by Faber Castell), the green colour was made with weathering pigments (all in all quite similar to how I painted the Tenontosaurus).

ZoPteryx

Great job on that Acro!

I'm curious about that backdrop/diorama you often use.  Did you make it and how big is it?  It looks really cool! ;D

postsaurischian

:) Wonderful, "Dr. Donnerbalken"!
The last pic with the Edmontosaurus should also be posted in the Krentz thread.
Unfortunately not much stuff there at the moment.

brontodocus

Thanks, zopteryx! :) Initially I used the base plate of the Tamiya Dinosaur Dioramas for photos - you can turn four of them (Parasaurolophus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, and Chasmosaurus) into a larger one by glueing them together (which I did) but for larger figures I needed something with more space. So I made two simple new diorama bases from rigid foam (aka "Styrodur") which were painted with white glue mixed with reddish brown acrylic colour and then covered with reddish gravel for model railroads and plaster-cast rocks and added some dried twigs. The foliage is dried Origano, by the way (mixed with some peppermint tea)... ;D One of the bases is approx. 25*25 cm and has a pond carved into it and the other has a small creek and is approx. 25*50 cm. The background is 50*70 cm coloured cardstock from idee creativmarkt: http://www.idee-shop.de/shop/de/dieprodukte/BastelnmitPapier/Bastelpapiere/Fotokarton/FotokartonSonnenaufgangSonnenuntergang50x70cm.html

Oh, and thanks, Helge, so I should post both there! :)

robustus_

I love your Paleocraft collection! I've always wanted some of those models.

brontodocus

Thanks, RobbieSKatz! :) I'd recommend them all, most of them are also very easy to build and need only little cleanup, the Thylacoleo was a bit more difficult, though, and I'd recommend to permanently glue it to its base, I would not want to risk it sliding off and getting damaged. :-\

robustus_

I´ve never done any model kits so far, so it definitely helps that they´re awesome quality models without too much cleanup and preparation needed! I would love that moa, especially.

brontodocus

Quote from: RobbieSKatz on March 29, 2012, 10:25:43 PM
I´ve never done any model kits so far, so it definitely helps that they´re awesome quality models without too much cleanup and preparation needed! I would love that moa, especially.
Hehe, that's probably the easiest of all of them - there's no assembly at all since it's cast in one single piece:

robustus_

brontodocus

:) David Krentz shapeways "1/72" Bistahieversor sealeyi:

This model was originally ordered by postsaurischian in "Black Detail" who received it with the base broken off at the ankle and one finger broken off, too. After having received a replacement he sent the damaged one to me, so thanks again, Helge! :) The repair was a little more difficult than I thought, though. While the finger was easier to fix despite its tinyness (luckily it was still in the bag and didn't get lost, the piece was only about 2 mm long!) the ankle which was glued with epoxy broke again after I had almost finished painting the model. :( Yesterday I gave it another try and drilled 1 mm holes into both fracture surfaces and glued a metal rod (i.e. a section cut from a needle) into them with epoxy and now it is stable enough so I could finally finish it! :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: