News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Has anyne got the Nasutoceratops and Sauropelta yet?

alexeratops

I want them, but I'm probably getting them for christmas.  :)
like a bantha!

Manatee

Quote from: alexeratops on December 13, 2014, 01:31:07 PM
I want them, but I'm probably getting them for christmas.  :)
Same here.

croatasaurus

I don't like Carnegie so much as Wild safari because theropods are tripod.I think that Wild Safari makes better dinos

Concavenator

So you're basically saying Doug Watson is a better scultpr than Forest Rogers?Because that's NOT true.Not at all.I think the most recent problem with Carnegie is just the paintjob.The sculpt is the same quality.Besides,think that this model was initially set for a 2013 release,if you consider that the Concavenator and Tyrannosaurus were both delayed.That'd make:

Carnegie Collection 2012 lineup:
Brachiosaurus(resculpt)
Concavenator

Carnegie Collection 2013 lineup (25th Anniversary):
Tyrannosaurus rex (resculpt)
Velociraptor (resculpt)

Carnegie Collection 2014 lineup:
?

Carnegie Collection 2015 lineup:

Don't know if there were more pieces prepared for the anniversary.I don't think so.

DinoLord

Forest Rogers is a great sculptor but seeing the same tripod theropod looking to the left does get old rather quickly. I do agree the paint apps on the Carnegies could be better at times, though that does seem to vary by batch.

Concavenator

Safari Ltd. obligates her to pose their theropods that way.It was said they've found a solution...I personally think Carnegie will make an Apatosaurus for 2016,but if they will release another theropod,let it please be an Allosaurus.

ignite444

I recently did a review on the new Carnegie model. While I like what they were going for, the head is just a big fat no. I'm also getting sick of the models being tripods. This raptor would have been perfect had it been in a natural walking or running position as well as having a better head sculpt. Luckily I only had to pay 10 bucks for it.
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

Gwangi

Quote from: Concavenator on December 13, 2014, 08:50:53 PM
So you're basically saying Doug Watson is a better scultpr than Forest Rogers?Because that's NOT true.Not at all.I think the most recent problem with Carnegie is just the paintjob.The sculpt is the same quality.Besides,think that this model was initially set for a 2013 release,if you consider that the Concavenator and Tyrannosaurus were both delayed.That'd make:

Remember that Doug is a member here, try to show some tact. He is also a very talented artist and I'm personally in agreement with those that say the recent Safari models surpass Carnegie. Doug's ceratopsians in particular are some of the best ever produced by any toy company. Carnegie has continued to make decent herbivores but their theropods are getting tiresome. It's not just the paint application either. Or the tripod pose.

Concavenator

Quote from: Gwangi on December 13, 2014, 11:11:40 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on December 13, 2014, 08:50:53 PM

Remember that Doug is a member here, try to show some tact. He is also a very talented artist and I'm personally in agreement with those that say the recent Safari models surpass Carnegie. Doug's ceratopsians in particular are some of the best ever produced by any toy company. Carnegie has continued to make decent herbivores but their theropods are getting tiresome. It's not just the paint application either. Or the tripod pose.
I know Doug is a member here,and he is a wonderful guy and sculptor,and I'm loving his work for the Wild Sarari line.His Yutyrannus in particular is a spectacular piece.And I sort of agree with the Wild Safari overlap for Carnegie.Five or four sculpts a year is much better than just ONE new Carnegie a year.Sad but true,because Carnegie used to be my favorite brand.Bokisaurus literally said 'Personally,at this rate,the only really exciting dinosaurs from Safari is from the Wild Safari series,and that is largely due to the artist who sculpts these figures'.He means that Carnegie releases are boring,partly because of the sculptor.I bet he didn't mean this with that but that's it.Also,Forest Rogers,while not a member does visit the forum sometimes too.amargasaurus cazaui said that.She would also like feedback on her pieces,and well it's kind off sad.People have exagerated a lot with the slight decline on quality.I've heard lots of things about her recent work ('boring releases' 'tail draggers on 2014!' (Which is not true because he tip of the tail only touchs the ground,not the rest.),...etc.People even say it was agressive when Rebor joined the forum.We were only saying that Yutyrannus was more feathered than that,and reclaimed that.I believe Yutyrannus was banned as well  :-\
Forest Rogers is an amazing sculptor.Most of his work are fantasy models,so it lends in for a really interesting style when doing dinosaurs.Of course,people are ignoringnthe Carnegie Velociraptor,as was the Tyrannosaurus,etc.If I was Forest Rogers I would be very sad I think  :(

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Concavenator on December 14, 2014, 12:04:12 AM
I know Doug is a member here,and he is a wonderful guy and sculptor,and I'm loving his work for the Wild Sarari line.His Yutyrannus in particular is a spectacular piece.And I sort of agree with the Wild Safari overlap for Carnegie.Five or four sculpts a year is much better than just ONE new Carnegie a year.Sad but true,because Carnegie used to be my favorite brand.Bokisaurus literally said 'Personally,at this rate,the only really exciting dinosaurs from Safari is from the Wild Safari series,and that is largely due to the artist who sculpts these figures'.He means that Carnegie releases are boring,partly because of the sculptor.I bet he didn't mean this with that but that's it.Also,Forest Rogers,while not a member does visit the forum sometimes too.amargasaurus cazaui said that.She would also like feedback on her pieces,and well it's kind off sad.People have exagerated a lot with the slight decline on quality.I've heard lots of things about her recent work ('boring releases' 'tail draggers on 2014!' (Which is not true because he tip of the tail only touchs the ground,not the rest.),...etc.People even say it was agressive when Rebor joined the forum.We were only saying that Yutyrannus was more feathered than that,and reclaimed that.I believe Yutyrannus was banned as well  :-\
Forest Rogers is an amazing sculptor.Most of his work are fantasy models,so it lends in for a really interesting style when doing dinosaurs.Of course,people are ignoringnthe Carnegie Velociraptor,as was the Tyrannosaurus,etc.If I was Forest Rogers I would be very sad I think  :(
I totally agree, I think that the sculpts for Carnegie and Wild Safari are equally good, however Safari does surpass Carnegie when it comes to the final figure that is released. While I'm getting tired of the tripod pose the main thing that I think ruins the recent Carnegie figures is the paintjob. It's like Carnegie just doesn't care about releasing good figures anymore (which really sucks because up until 2012 Carnegie was the best dinosaur toy line existing or that did exist). I truly think Carnegie is doing a disservice to Forest Rogers's amazing sculpts by doing so (note that Forest Rogers stopped posting pictures of the Carnegie sculpts on her website a few years ago). Although this Velociraptor is still a great improvement over sculpts from the last couple years, I really hope soon that Carnegie's figures will be as amazing as they once were :)

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

stargatedalek

While I certainly agree that Carnegie's theropods are becoming repetitive, I don't mind it. I prefer the tripod pose over an (irremovable) base or disproportionate limbs/feet. The paint-app is something that someone can easily change for themselves, and personally I don't find the colour-schemes that repetitive anyway.

@Gwangi
I don't think Concavenator had intended to sound like he was attacking Doug's sculpts, but rather I think he was trying to say that they were all very good, I do agree that his choice of wording was rather poor and left a rather aggressive impression

@Concavenator
just a friendly heads up, you may wish to be a bit more careful about how you word things in the future, especially using all caps ;)

@per-REBOR
there was more involved than that with the "REBOR incidents"
it had reached the point where people were no longer critiquing and were simply beating a dead horse or straying off topic (as I have unfortunately now done here ::))

Blade-of-the-Moon

I personally feel the whole "25th Anniversary " thing was over hyped and/or our expectations were too high. I expected something major..maybe a redo of all the past pieces that hadn't been re-worked  as of yet...what we got while still neat, was a bit anti-climatic.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 14, 2014, 12:43:23 AM
While I certainly agree that Carnegie's theropods are becoming repetitive, I don't mind it. I prefer the tripod pose over an (irremovable) base or disproportionate limbs/feet. The paint-app is something that someone can easily change for themselves, and personally I don't find the colour-schemes that repetitive anyway.
Agreed, however I think when most people say they're getting tired of the tripod pose, it's because there is no variation at all in the poses. It's always head turned to the left, mouth open, legs splayed slightly outward, body angled upward (at almost exactly the same angle every time), and the very tip of the tail touching the ground.

Anyway, we should probably get back on topic now. So what day was the Yutyrannus supposed to be released again? And does anyone know if the other Wild Safari dinosaurs will be released on the same day?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Meso-Cenozoic

DeJankins has the Yutyrannus and the Archaeopteryx being available before Christmas, but no exact date listed yet. The other two WS and the Carnegie are already in. I'm also waiting for these last two so I can have them all shipped together saving some on postage.

amargasaurus cazaui

I think I will side step the entire debate about what artist is best....as I count both Doug and Forest as my friends and both have signed figures for my collection of autographed dinosaurs. For me they each have different sculpting styles, and methods. I also feel they both make models which one time might be a solid hit and other times not quite as much depending on the factors that you allow to determine this. It can me massively subjective, just look at the Nasutoceratops discussion to see the concept of mutiple views on the same two figures. One thing I did wish to also address, Forest Rogers is a lady, and she has a pet parrot who had a birthday today...Ahab Rogers, who has his own facebook page as well.Happy Birthday Ahab
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

I agree, they are both great and they both do amazing work! I see no reason to say either line or sculptor is objectively better than the other.

Happy birthday Ahab :)

Concavenator

@Gwangi
I don't think Concavenator had intended to sound like he was attacking Doug's sculpts, but rather I think he was trying to say that they were all very good, I do agree that his choice of wording was rather poor and left a rather aggressive impression

@Concavenator
just a friendly heads up, you may wish to be a bit more careful about how you word things in the future, especially using all caps ;)

@per-REBOR
there was more involved than that with the "REBOR incidents"
it had reached the point where people were no longer critiquing and were simply beating a dead horse or straying off topic (as I have unfortunately now done here ::))
I didn't mean to insult Doug's sculpts at all!I love his work,and I wouldn't insult a figure even if I hate it.Just give my opinion.Okay,I will think twice before I write a post like this,I'll modify my writing style a bit  :)

Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 14, 2014, 01:43:53 AM
Agreed, however I think when most people say they're getting tired of the tripod pose, it's because there is no variation at all in the poses. It's always head turned to the left, mouth open, legs splayed slightly outward, body angled upward (at almost exactly the same angle every time), and the very tip of the tail touching the ground.

Anyway, we should probably get back on topic now. So what day was the Yutyrannus supposed to be released again? And does anyone know if the other Wild Safari dinosaurs will be released on the same day?
The Yutyrannus will be out the 22th,at least at Safari's page.It may be available in other places before,though.
The Archaeopteryx is being released the same day I think.Sauropelta and Nasutoceratops,as well as the Carnegie Velociraptor are out now.If someone got these two new Wild Safaris please post pics of them.
P.S.Happy birthday Ahab Rogers!

triceratops83

I think Carnegie, like Collecta needs to retire their older figures. Aesthetically they don't fit in any more. Great, even perfect for their time, but now the collection seems like a hodge podge with the chunky older figures and the newer sleek and wonderful sculpts.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

CityRaptor

They are slowly retiring their old figures.
https://www.facebook.com/DansDinosaurs/photos/a.10151671048174023.1073741853.99131379022/10152401492814023/?type=1&theater

Also, happy birthday Ahab Rogers! May you get that Moby Dick soon!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: