News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daspletodave

Gee didn't Carnegie discontinue its basal dinosaurs Psittacosaurus and Protoceratops? My guess is they weren't big sellers.
Ceratopsians are only interesting if they have horns. Otherwise they are pretty dull and boring.
I would second a Carnegie Chasmosaurus or Torosaurus!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on December 25, 2014, 05:44:00 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 25, 2014, 04:04:27 PM
I was thinking early in terms of discovery, and yet we still don't have a good Megalosaurus, the best being Invicta.

Yeah, we desperately need a new Megalosaurus from someone...just not Carnegie please! Seems like a possible choice for Battat or Safari? Also, we need another Baryonyx. I think it is safe to say that Invicta still holds claim on the best Baryonyx.

As far as mass produced goes..yeah I'd say they are probably the best..Safari/Carnegie being next...not much out there really. The CollectA wasn't too bad..just needed a better head sculpt. Honestly that's where many of them fall short.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Daspletodave on December 25, 2014, 05:47:51 PM
Gee didn't Carnegie discontinue its basal dinosaurs Psittacosaurus and Protoceratops? My guess is they weren't big sellers.
Ceratopsians are only interesting if they have horns. Otherwise they are pretty dull and boring.

Well gee if that were the logic involved would they not have discontinued more basal animals like the Dimetrodon, or perhaps the Plateosaurus? Normally when Carnegie retires a figure it has nothing to do with sales so much as accuracy.....for instance the disovery of Embryonic oviraptors in the nests like the one in the protoceratops model, thus invalidating that model...or the disovery of psittacosaurus with quills....given reason for retiring that model. It has zero to do with basal and much to do with accuracy supposedly at least.
  I find the comment the idea of ceratopsians that only differ from one another by horn configuration pretty dull and boring actually......welll pretty dull and boring. When you consider aquilops vs. udanoceratops, vs psittacosaurus vs yinlong one of the larger more well documented and continously evolving lines of dinosaurs known, fascinating. Rather than getting so caught up in a set of dinosaurs that existed the last twenty million years they were around and only differed from the neck up, that to me is very...well dull and seriously boring.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tanystropheus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 25, 2014, 07:26:55 PM

I find the comment the idea of ceratopsians that only differ from one another by horn configuration pretty dull and boring actually......welll pretty dull and boring.

I find it fascinating in a darwinian finch kind of way. Actually, any ceratopsian is welcome by me, regardless of how drastic or minor the variations are. I hope WS continues the tradition of releasing at least one ceratopsian per year.

triceratops83

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 26, 2014, 12:25:48 AM
I hope WS continues the tradition of releasing at least one ceratopsian per year.
The year they don't I'll probably cry. They've really spoiled us. But to agree with Amargasaurus, would be great to see an Archaeoceratops or some other basal member of that group. Actually Protoceratops hasn't had any love from a Major Toy Producer for a while.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Gwangi

I find Protoceratops (and other basal ceratopsians) quite interesting looking in appearance, regardless of horns. Just look at this thing!

Besides, if it weren't for the basal species, you wouldn't have the larger more flamboyant ones.

alexeratops

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 26, 2014, 01:46:26 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 26, 2014, 12:25:48 AM
I hope WS continues the tradition of releasing at least one ceratopsian per year.
The year they don't I'll probably cry. They've really spoiled us. But to agree with Amargasaurus, would be great to see an Archaeoceratops or some other basal member of that group. Actually Protoceratops hasn't had any love from a Major Toy Producer for a while.
Yes, the closest thing I have to a Protoceratops in my collection is 2 small WS Leptoceratops-s; which I believe to be retired. :-\
like a bantha!

amargasaurus cazaui

I do not mind so much the releases of the horned dinosaurs for those that enjoy them...it would just be nice to show some of the other members of the family line...ie protoceratops, itself a rather iconic dinosaur. As recently seen by the discovery of Auilops, these more basal members of the horned dinosaur family can be quite fascinating...they were going through massive radiations, and specciated quite rapidly creating many quite varied types.
  The modern emphasis seems to be make basially the same dinosaur over and over, and just alter the head....which for me seems kind of.....blah Count the number of companies issuing the same horned dinosaur each year. It just seems repetitive and counter productive to all release the same animal each year. Always thought it would be quite interesting to release a standard body and  a dozen heads that could be exchanged to demonstrate the wide range possible
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

triceratops83

Quote from: alexeratops on December 26, 2014, 02:13:56 PM
Yes, the closest thing I have to a Protoceratops in my collection is 2 small WS Leptoceratops-s; which I believe to be retired. :-\

It sure is, and surprisingly hard to find. Imagine it redone now by Doug Watson, now that would be a cute little critter.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Your missing one of the best Protoceratops toys out there..try and find the Dino-Riders/Tyco one!

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 26, 2014, 02:52:19 PM
I do not mind so much the releases of the horned dinosaurs for those that enjoy them...it would just be nice to show some of the other members of the family line...ie protoceratops, itself a rather iconic dinosaur. As recently seen by the discovery of Auilops, these more basal members of the horned dinosaur family can be quite fascinating...they were going through massive radiations, and specciated quite rapidly creating many quite varied types.
  The modern emphasis seems to be make basially the same dinosaur over and over, and just alter the head....which for me seems kind of.....blah Count the number of companies issuing the same horned dinosaur each year. It just seems repetitive and counter productive to all release the same animal each year. Always thought it would be quite interesting to release a standard body and  a dozen heads that could be exchanged to demonstrate the wide range possible

The only issue with that I think we'd have is it wouldn't display as nicely on a shelf. Would make a great teaching aid though.

Daspletodave

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 25, 2014, 07:26:55 PM

Well gee if that were the logic involved would they not have discontinued more basal animals like the Dimetrodon, or perhaps the Plateosaurus? Normally when Carnegie retires a figure it has nothing to do with sales so much as accuracy.....for instance the disovery of Embryonic oviraptors in the nests like the one in the protoceratops model, thus invalidating that model...or the disovery of psittacosaurus with quills....given reason for retiring that model. It has zero to do with basal and much to do with accuracy supposedly at least.
  I find the comment the idea of ceratopsians that only differ from one another by horn configuration pretty dull and boring actually......welll pretty dull and boring. When you consider aquilops vs. udanoceratops, vs psittacosaurus vs yinlong one of the larger more well documented and continously evolving lines of dinosaurs known, fascinating. Rather than getting so caught up in a set of dinosaurs that existed the last twenty million years they were around and only differed from the neck up, that to me is very...well dull and seriously boring.

Well well well, looks like I got under somebody's skin.
Do you work for Safari? Do you know for sure that they only discontinue figures when they are shown to be scientifically inaccurate? Then why have they not produced a new Psittacosaurus? Why have they kept awful dinosaurs like the original green T-Rex in the kangaroo posture? Why did they discontinue Corythosaurus?
I think sales have more to do with it than you think.
For the record I am not attacking you for your choice of dinosaurs. But your favorite dinos are not very popular. You can buy Psittacosaurus, Protoceratops, and Yinlong on Shapeways, but you can't buy them in plastic.
If we held a "poll" right now and asked forum members to list their top 20 ceratopsians your choices would end up dead last. Just saying. And none of these dinosaurs are boring - Triceratops, Styracosaurus, Pentaceratops, Torosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Kosmoceratops, Centrosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Einiosaurus, Achelousaurus, Albertaceratops, Diabloceratops, Nasutoceratops, Xenoceratops, Medusaceratops, Agujaceratops, Anchiceratops, Arrhinoceratops, Utahceratops, and Mojoceratops (my top 20).

amargasaurus cazaui

I think anytime you begin a post with the comment...gee, you are basically trying to goad someone and intentionally start an argument . It comes off really smug, I have done it a time or so, and it really isnt recieved well by people. Hence my response, yes.
  Moving forward from that and so you know, the psittacosaurus figure in particular from Carnegie was one of their better sells and is still highly sought after and often clears 15 dollars when it sells on ebay. It is one of the few decent depicticons of the dinosaur availible. Carnegie at some point did state the dinosaur was retired due to accuracy issues, directly following the release of the paper regarding the quilled specimen,The protoceratops nest, I believe had more to do with scale and the release of the paper regarding the oviraptorid specimens found within what had been regarded as protoceratops eggs. So I am fairly sure both were pulled due to accuracy..I do not work for Safari as I am sure you well know....and i did not state they ONLY pull figures based on accuracy, I said in these two cases they had. The T rex in kangaroo pose as far as I know was retired long ago, so not sure what point you are making there. As to the why of discontinuing corythosaurus it was again an accuracy issue although I cannot recall what it was precisely.
  I will not sit and do a most popular argument with you about dinosaurs ......the theropods and Tyrannosaurus clearly win those things hands down. I also concede that many species of horned dinosaurs are indeed quite well loved....but I also feel your entire approach here is steeped in a sort of zen catch 22 idealism. If you do not make the toys and acquaint people with the less well known species they cannot learn nor come to enjoy them. the few times the toy companies do venture from the more establisehd dinosaurs towards less well known they often get a nice reception......
   I remember  pair of artists from the nineties doing some well less known dinosaurs...Gallimimus, and Amargasaurus, and even Ouranosaurus. No, they were not particularly well known nor popular dinosaurs, but wow , those dinosaurs and that entire line are now considered legendary status. They were the first figures for some of those species offered, but someone had the courage and vision to see that new species and new finds are fascinating to many , and may not be well known, but might just do well anyways. Or you can go back to another company even earlier, that produced a line of dinosaurs....they included baronyx, lambeosaurus, and even Mamenchisaurus....not popular dinosaurs, and likely the first sculpts done for those dinosaurs, but wow people love them now. I think when you sit and refuse to give things  a fair chance, no they will not become popular.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Please can the attitude. Discussions are always fine but there is no need to be snarky about it and no goading other members, we don't tolerate that sort of behavior.

suspsy

I really wish Carnegie was releasing a new Protoceratops to go with their Velociraptor. The two are mortal enemies, after all. And Protoceratops deserves more respect.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on December 26, 2014, 11:59:03 PM
I really wish Carnegie was releasing a new Protoceratops to go with their Velociraptor. The two are mortal enemies, after all. And Protoceratops deserves more respect.
Not sure what you mean with that  ???

amargasaurus cazaui

That would be an awesome idea !!!!!

Concavenator

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 27, 2014, 12:09:57 AM
Oh,no.A Protoceratops by Carnegie,no,please.Protoceratops just seems so dull and boring.If Carnegie did a small herbivore there a lot more interesting species to make.My 3 favorite dinosaurs of this kind:Kulindadromeus,the cute new little fluffy herbivore.Koreaceratops,the swimming ceratopsian!Can't believe this guy have been so neglected.And finally,Pegomastax.Not sure what to say about this ine,hut it looks cool,

Gwangi

We really need a good Protoceratops. There are some good ones out there, but they're hard to find and mostly dated. Actually, I would love to see one by Doug for the WS line. I'll take a Carnegie too though.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Concavenator on December 27, 2014, 12:22:08 AM
Oh,no.A Protoceratops by Carnegie,no,please.Protoceratops just seems so dull and boring.If Carnegie did a small herbivore there a lot more interesting species to make.My 3 favorite dinosaurs of this kind:Kulindadromeus,the cute new little fluffy herbivore.Koreaceratops,the swimming ceratopsian!Can't believe this guy have been so neglected.And finally,Pegomastax.Not sure what to say about this ine,hut it looks cool,
Everyone likes different things. I think calling another person's favourite dinosaur "dull and boring" is a little harsh. And really, Carnegie need to start by overhauling their old sculpts rather than tackling new species.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 27, 2014, 12:31:27 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on December 27, 2014, 12:22:08 AM
Everyone likes different things. I think calling another person's favourite dinosaur "dull and boring" is a little harsh. And really, Carnegie need to start by overhauling their old sculpts rather than tackling new species.

I'm in agreement with TQ on both her points. Actually, if Carnegie decided to just do updates on some of their much-needed older figures for the next few years, I wouldn't mind that at all. -- Apatosaurus & youngster, Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Triceratops, Pteranodon, Elasmosaurus... just to name a handful of some of the obvious ones to get things started. ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: