News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Times magazine

Started by DinoToyForum, April 10, 2012, 11:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 01, 2012, 06:57:31 PM
Quote from: SBell on May 01, 2012, 05:35:42 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 01, 2012, 04:51:52 PM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on May 01, 2012, 06:37:15 AM
Its the best dino magazine out there! ;D I'm so glad its still in production, I have been subscribing for a while now, and its worth it.
So, when will we see a good article about our beloved DTF? Or perhaps the diorama contest? That would be cool, yes? ;)

I did submit an article! A few years back, on plesiosaurs, but it never went to print. Mike said he'd get back to me, but never did. I'm not sure why, I never chased it up. Maybe my article was awful :-[

I also asked Mike if he would like to print some dinotoyblog reviews - I thought it might make a nice regular single-page feature for the mag, perhaps interesting for readers to have a specific figure go under the knife each issue. It's something PT don't do, or at least didn't at the time, and I wasn't asking for anything in return, but Mike wasn't keen: they already have their regular reviewers. I'm sure he's a busy fellow, but he felt a bit distant and uninterested.

I may be putting my neck on the chopping block here, but, in my opinion (how do I say this)...there are several aspects of the magazine that could be improved. Don't get me wrong, I think its commendable what Prehistoric Times is doing, and I appreciate the difficulties they no doubt face in the current economic climate, but I'd like to see them raise their game  C:-)

I have to agree--I have always enjoyed it, but...less so now.  I think replacing Riff Smith with Phil Hore as their new feature-animal writer has gone towards that (just don't like his style, and he often can't seem to be bothered to remember it is a magazine for collectors and enthusiasts).  And many of the articles seem...self indulgent? Would that be an explanation for the long-winded discussions of old Marx playsets in Sears catalogues?

It is still a good read, but I find myself less inclined to sit down and read through it right away now--it's more of a read I'll get to when I get to it (I do usually quickly flip through it right away though).

I think one of the other sources of detachment is the frequency. When it was every 2 months, it was much easier to get engaged and stay that way. At three months in between, it seems easier to kind of forget about it.  I do understand (sort of) the work that needs to go into it, but at the same time frequency is what affects readership.  I'm almost more surprised that another magazine hasn't been created to take advantage of that time frame.

I think magazines as a whole are being closed out a bit..much like some books. With online versions replacing them.  PT has the same issues..a lot of what is published is old now having made the rounds on the internet already.  I do as you do, flip through and scan over it then it sits here until I have a moment while waiting for something else.  Most people I know use those brief moments to sit and flip through there cell phones or text people now.  I have a lot of nostalgia tied up in the magazine as well I have to admit. I started with issue 13 I stumbled on in the comic shop..after that I would call every couple weeks to see if a new issue was in..lol Me, my mom and my brother would always take a trip to town to go and get it among other things.

This is very true - the world has changed. Websites like The Dinosaur Toy Blog and other, and this very forum for that matter, presumably don't help. They provide the same type of service, only in real time, and without the subscription charges. (Not yet anyway  >:D Just kidding).

However, magazines, like books, still have a place in the information age. Chip Kidd (who designed the cover art for Jurassic Park) makes a great case for this in his TED talk (worth watching for the JP reference alone):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC0KxNeLp1E.
Edit - Sigh, I just wanted to include the link, but I don't know how to make a youtube link NOT embed  ::) Oh well!

So I certainly don't want to see PT disappear, I just want to see it get better. PT needs to recognise what it has, that its digital competitors don't have. Its 'USP' as the business bods would say. In many ways, the actual information PT contains isn't important - there's little in way of content that PT offers that the internet doesn't offer for free. So, what does PT have that the internet doesn't? PT's trump card is that it is a collectible in its own right. And we know better than anyone, that the most important factor when it comes to collectibles, is quality.

Crackington

I think like most things there's always an element of hit and miss (I agree with Sbell, the Sears catalogue Marx articles were a bit much, real weird anal-ysis). However, the good bits still hit the spot, I love Mark Berry's film articles and Anthony Beeson is currently writing some great stuff on the history of Invicta and the British Natural History Museum. Randy Knol also gives the DTF a (first?) mention in PT this month too!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Crackington on May 02, 2012, 12:39:23 AM
I think like most things there's always an element of hit and miss (I agree with Sbell, the Sears catalogue Marx articles were a bit much, real weird anal-ysis). However, the good bits still hit the spot, I love Mark Berry's film articles and Anthony Beeson is currently writing some great stuff on the history of Invicta and the British Natural History Museum. Randy Knol also gives the DTF a (first?) mention in PT this month too!

DTF gets a mention? Well, I take it all back then!  ;D
Really, in what context?

The Invicta article sounds very interesting actually. One easy thing PT could do is list all the contents on their website. I'd be much more inclined to buy an issue if I knew its full contents (rather than just selected highlights). Or they could even post little tasters - the first paragraph or two. PT has plenty of advertising between its pages, but does it market itself?

dinonikes

Just to be accurate, and lord knows that is something we all seem to value here, DTF has been mentioned a few times previously(2008 earliest at least) in relation to reviews of my figures and the early on collaboration with members in the creation of them- I also had given the same mention to DTF in ads that I had taken out in a few issues back a ways.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's right Malcolm, I had forgot that it was mentioned so much , especially in conjunction with your line.  :)

I'm not sure just how much PT markets itself..I know they did co-advertise with G-Fan at one point and used to be carried by comic PREVIEWS catalog as well.  I've always figured word of mouth was their best advertisement and I've done my best to promote it and help send Mike some customers. 

Maybe the DTF should take out a small ad ? ;D

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 02, 2012, 05:56:51 PM
That's right Malcolm, I had forgot that it was mentioned so much , especially in conjunction with your line.  :)

I'm not sure just how much PT markets itself..I know they did co-advertise with G-Fan at one point and used to be carried by comic PREVIEWS catalog as well.  I've always figured word of mouth was their best advertisement and I've done my best to promote it and help send Mike some customers. 

Do you mean a DTF ad in PT? Or a PT ad on DTF? I wonder who gets the most readers?

SBell

But ads cost money--so who would be paying for the ad?

And I have noticed a reluctance by PT to enter the digital world--they have only recently created a FB page, and yeah, their website needs some major overhauling.  Improved communication would really help, not hinder, the magazine. For example, better listing off the articles/issue would increase search engine finds; an online listing of advertisers would increase the ROI for advertisers (which could lead to justifying higher ad costs); and getting the classifieds online (and set up to be updated more frequently) could also improve traffic/subscriptions.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 02, 2012, 06:38:16 PM

Do you mean a DTF ad in PT? Or a PT ad on DTF? I wonder who gets the most readers?

Either way works.. ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on May 02, 2012, 06:42:16 PM

But ads cost money--so who would be paying for the ad?

And I have noticed a reluctance by PT to enter the digital world--they have only recently created a FB page, and yeah, their website needs some major overhauling.  Improved communication would really help, not hinder, the magazine. For example, better listing off the articles/issue would increase search engine finds; an online listing of advertisers would increase the ROI for advertisers (which could lead to justifying higher ad costs); and getting the classifieds online (and set up to be updated more frequently) could also improve traffic/subscriptions.

Eh, we could take up a collection or something to do it I'm sure. ;)

PT's reluctance is probably more that Mike has his claws full and  could use some help getting all that done right.

DinoToyForum

I noticed Prehistoric Times magazine is now available as digital downloads, with digital back issues going back to #99. Hopefully that will expand back to #1 eventually.

They are on #133 now.

Does anyone know if there's a list of full contents per issue anywhere? I'd like to know which issues to chase up for specific articles about dinosaur toys.

Edit - Just to clarify, I'm aware the headline content for each issue is listed on their back issue page (http://www.prehistorictimes.com/backissue.html) but I want to also know the details of the "and much more" bullet point. In any case, the back issue list is incomplete anyway.

Edit 2. I just noticed I was already asking for this upthread, back in 2012!  O:-)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 02, 2012, 12:52:57 AM

Really, in what context?

The Invicta article sounds very interesting actually. One easy thing PT could do is list all the contents on their website. I'd be much more inclined to buy an issue if I knew its full contents (rather than just selected highlights). Or they could even post little tasters - the first paragraph or two. PT has plenty of advertising between its pages, but does it market itself?

avatar_Crackington @Crackington What was the context DTF was mentioned in PT, and did it ever happen again?

DinoToyForum

You know what, I reckon between us we can do this ourselves, create a list of Prehistoric Times dinosaur figure articles (excluding news articles, reviews, classifieds, diorama builds, and Collector's Corner). I'll start us off with the copies I have...

Issue #37.
Pyro's Prehistoric Plastic, by Mike Fredericks [but not specified], page 24
The PT Interview: Donald F. Glut Part Three, by Tony Campagna, page 34

Issue #86.
MPC, by Mike Fredericks and Jo DeMarco, page 46

Issue #87.
None

Issue #88.
Wm. [William] Otto and the Pleistocene Megafauna [Statuettes] of Rancho La Brea, by Zeke Feldhaus, page 50

Issue #89.
Wards and Marx Dinosaurs, by Pat Schaefer, page 50

Issue #90.
Interview: Don Glut, by John C Fredriksen, PHD., page 22
Marx Dinosaurs of the 50s & 60s at Sears, by Pat Schaefer, page 48

Issue #91.
Marx Dinosaurs at Sears Part 2, by Pat Schaefer page 50

Issue #93.
Marx Dinosaurs at Sears Part 3, by Pat Schaefer, page 50
The PT Interview: Forrest Rogers Safari Ltd's Carbegie Collection Sculptor, by Dan Liebman, page 54

Issue #93.
The PT Interview: Sideshow Collectibles, by Mike Fredericks, page 10
Marx Dinosaurs at Sears Part 4, by Pat Schaefer, page 54

Maybe some of you can similar lists for the issues you own and then I'll compile a full list of contents in the first post of this thread for future reference.

Crackington

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 16, 2020, 01:56:50 PM

Really, in what context?

avatar_Crackington @Crackington What was the context DTF was mentioned in PT, and did it ever happen again?

Wow, this was from a while ago, can tell you are a palaeontologist  ;)

I did some digging and it was from PT 101, Spring 2012, bottom of page 26 in Randy Knol's Dinosaur Collector bit. He was talking about the then soon to be released Collecta Miragaia and mentioned that the stegosaur model had spikes on it's shoulders rather than tail and a lack of evidence for this. Randy said "This should stir the pot on the on-line Dinosaur Toy Forum". Not sure if it did 😄!

It was the first time I'd noticed the Forum being mentioned, but probably not the first appearance judging from the comments above from 2012.

I might be able to help fill in blanks too, regarding toy line features in PT.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Crackington on May 16, 2020, 06:36:32 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 16, 2020, 01:56:50 PM

Really, in what context?

Wow, this was from a while ago, can tell you are a palaeontologist  ;)

I did some digging and it was from PT 101, Spring 2012, bottom of page 26 in Randy Knol's Dinosaur Collector bit. He was talking about the then soon to be released Collecta Miragaia and mentioned that the stegosaur model had spikes on it's shoulders rather than tail and a lack of evidence for this. Randy said "This should stir the pot on the on-line Dinosaur Toy Forum". Not sure if it did 😄!

It was the first time I'd noticed the Forum being mentioned, but probably not the first appearance judging from the comments above from 2012.

I might be able to help fill in blanks too, regarding toy line features in PT.

Ha, I love digging up the past. :)) Thanks for that, so the DTF community had a reputation for being prickly back then by the sound of it!  >:D

If you could fill in some of the issues that would be great!  8)

austrosaurus

I can't for the life of me remember why, but I always thought Prehistoric Times was never that great? I tried to do some digging and the only thing I could come up with was that they reported favourably about a Triceratops skull being marketed by a fossil dealer as a new species. Did/does Tracy Ford work for the magazine? Because I can half-remember some negative things about him as well, but can't for the life of me recall what they are or where I heard them. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd hate to have a misinformed opinion of them.

Crackington

Prehistoric Times started as a fanzine and it's now run as a small business run by Mike Fredericks, the editor. I don't think anyone "works" for it, though they do have regular writers.

It's been going a long time with lots of content, so it's bound to have published incorrect info from time to time, though I've not heard of a dodgy Triceratops fossil.

A lot of paleontologists read it to and sometimes contribute, so things do tend to get corrected over time (for instance Dave Peters was called out by a palaeontologist after some of his articles were published).

Personally, I really like it and subscribe most years, but you can see from the comments above that like most publications, it can be hit and miss.

It's worth a try if you want to judge for yourself. It's packed full of artwork too, often sublime.

DinoToyForum

Shockingly, I just realised I haven't read a copy since 2010 (time flies!). Has the content or style changed much in the past decade?

One minor quibble I had when I unsubscribed was with the design and layout. I'm sure it was all part of an effort to make efficient use of the space and pack in as much content as possible, but I found it difficult to read because of the walls of small fonted text, lack of sub-headings, and images scattered seemingly randomly across the page. Has this changed?

Crackington

Yep, this is still a problem sometimes - doesn't help me with my poor eyesight!

Crackington

Hi all - I promised Dr Admin that I'd fill in some of the gaps in the Prehistoric Times issues focussing on specific toy lines. Here's my earlier issues summarised:

Issue 27 - JH Miller Revisited, Page 28

Issue 31 - Airfix dinosaur kits by Robert Telleria, Page 25

Issue 38 - Abbeon and SRG, Page 12

Issue 49 - Collecting Jurassic Park, Page 46

Issue 50 - Kaiyodo and Yowies, New Dinosaurs from Asia by Mike Fredericks, Page 32

Issue 51 - Starlux

Issue 52 - Keith Strasser interview - high end sculptures, Page 9 and Sinclair in the 1930s, Page 28

Issue 53 - Marx Prehistoric Playsets Part 1, Page 42

Issue 54 - Marx Prehistoric Playsets Part 2, Page 42

Issue 55 - Sinclair in the 1960s, Page 28

Issue 56 - None (nice Ray Harryhausen interview though!)

Issue 57 - Kaiyodo and Yowies, New Dinosaurs from Asia by Mike Fredericks Part 2

Issue 58 - None

Just realized that I mostly forgot to state who wrote the articles, drat! Too many to go back through - sorry!

DinoToyForum

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: