News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Times magazine

Started by DinoToyForum, April 10, 2012, 11:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

japfeif

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 16, 2020, 02:48:07 PM
You know what, I reckon between us we can do this ourselves, create a list of Prehistoric Times dinosaur figure articles (excluding news articles, reviews, classifieds, diorama builds, and Collector's Corner). I'll start us off with the copies I have...

Issue #37.
Pyro's Prehistoric Plastic, by Mike Fredericks [but not specified], page 24
The PT Interview: Donald F. Glut Part Three, by Tony Campagna, page 34

Issue #86.
MPC, by Mike Fredericks and Jo DeMarco, page 46

Issue #87.
None

Issue #88.
Wm. [William] Otto and the Pleistocene Megafauna [Statuettes] of Rancho La Brea, by Zeke Feldhaus, page 50

Issue #89.
Wards and Marx Dinosaurs, by Pat Schaefer, page 50

Issue #90.
Interview: Don Glut, by John C Fredriksen, PHD., page 22
Marx Dinosaurs of the 50s & 60s at Sears, by Pat Schaefer, page 48

Issue #91.
Marx Dinosaurs at Sears Part 2, by Pat Schaefer page 50

Issue #93.
Marx Dinosaurs at Sears Part 3, by Pat Schaefer, page 50
The PT Interview: Forrest Rogers Safari Ltd's Carbegie Collection Sculptor, by Dan Liebman, page 54

Issue #93.
The PT Interview: Sideshow Collectibles, by Mike Fredericks, page 10
Marx Dinosaurs at Sears Part 4, by Pat Schaefer, page 54

Maybe some of you can similar lists for the issues you own and then I'll compile a full list of contents in the first post of this thread for future reference.

Issue #115 has a nice article (at least I think so!) by myself on the often confusing Marx "Series 500" and "Series 1000" boxed prehistoric playsets for anyone interested (definitely not as long-winded & convoluted as the Sears articles I promise!  :)) )

Actually, I am a  huge fan of PT, as it's the only mag to my knowledge currently still in print dealing with prehistoric life from both the collectible AND the paleontological ends. Each issue seems about half & half, and I find most of the articles very informative and enjoyable reads. And Mike is a really great guy and quite personable & helpful, and I know he always welcomes articles & pics submitted by readers (even if it's just to show off some cool rare pieces in their personal collections!).

Fembrogon

I subscribe to the magazine - honestly it's the only magazine I've subscribed to in a long time. While the formatting/layout of the articles can be rough sometimes, the articles themselves are typically an interesting and engaging variety.
Tracy Ford does a regular series breaking down how to draw different kinds of dinosaurs; he gets into some pretty exhaustive detail. Allen A. Debus has been doing articles for several years now digging into dinosaur media, classic and obscure; he's also published some insightful books on those subjects. Right now there's an ongoing series about classic artist Zdenek Burian and all the prehistoric creatures he illustrated, going into the history of his career as well as the paleontological history, with lots of gorgeous reproductions of the paintings themselves.
A featured dinosaur and other extinct animal always get an article each of their own per issue, which makes for good review of the history and current understanding of the genera. There are lots of interviews that get done with artists, paleontologists, and other folks in the community; I recall David Krentz and Thomas Holtz individually being featured a while back, respectively before and after Dinosaur Revolution aired. The father/son team behind that new Why Dinosaurs? documentary was just featured in a recent issue for another example.

On the subject of dinosaur toys, I remember one or two nicely detailed articles from 2007 the Tcyo figures and their knockoffs; those articles might have indirectly introduced me to the Dino Riders line. Pat Schaefer still does articles about Marx and MPC; Mike Fredericks himself did a quick piece in the latest issue (and shoutout to J @japfeif for his Marx articles and the attached advertisements for his first Playsets book - the seeds were being sown for me!). Most of my issues (going back to around 2006?) are sadly in storage right now, but here are some toy articles from the last two years:

• Issue #133 - MPC No. 838 Blister Card (p.57-59, Pat Schaefer)
  • Issue #135 - More MPC Fun (p.58-59, Pat Schaefer)
  • Issue #136 - The Chinese Dino Connection (p.36, Mike Fredericks -quick bit about PNSO, Nanmu, etc.)
  • Issue #136 - The Thunderbird (p.62-63, David Bengel - model kit review)
  • Issue #137 - Marx P(aper) Products (p.57-59, Pat Schaefer)
  • Issue #137 - Airbrushed Parasaurolophus (p.62, Sean Kotz - model)
  • Issue #138 - Vernon Edwards Odds & Sods (p.44, Michael E. Howgate - vintage mascots)
  • Issue #138 - So It Would Seam (p.62-63, David Bengel - model kit)
  • Issue #139 - Metallic Green with Envy (p.46, Mike Fredericks)
  • Issue #139 - After Vernon Edwards (p.47-48, Mike Howgate - vintage models)
  • Issue #139 - These Cards are Marx (p.56-58, Pat Schaefer)
  • Issue #139 - Aching for an Anchi (p.61-62, Sean Kotz - model)

This list, of course, isn't including the regular new release coverage per issue; nor does it include articles focused on cards, stamps, custom figures, etc. The magazine covers a lot of ground for paleo merchandise!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.