News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Parasaurolophus horn function

Started by Arul, September 23, 2014, 05:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

Greetings :) i wanna share something,im wacthing nat geo wild on tv few days ago,the program is "living dinosaur".they discus about parasaurolophus horn function.after they examine the radiology result of its horn,they said that they found a labyrinth form and its look like a musical instrument labyrinth form (trombone).they assumed that the function of their "horn" is for communicate especially for sing a mating song.thats why the male horn is longer and larger than the female.what do you think friends ? Thx :)

Balaur

I think it was used to amplify sound, to communicate with members of the herd. I think that it could also be used to attract mates, and the crest would be larger to distinguish it from female calls and to be used as part of the courtship. Also, do you guys thimk it could have webbing between the neck and crest?

reinier zwanink

I have seen the program to
You can also find samples on youtube
The sound of Parasaurolophus!: http://youtu.be/kJ3Ra-WdZrs
it could be used as a amplefierer and they could make more sounds that what we can make now with it i am sure
If you remove the digital sounds it sounds very real
The idea of it being used for mating sound good to and its my feeling as well that male would sport more colors than females
Bigger does not have to be the case

Arul

Quote from: reinier zwanink on September 23, 2014, 06:00:21 AM
I have seen the program to
You can also find samples on youtube
The sound of Parasaurolophus!: http://youtu.be/kJ3Ra-WdZrs
it could be used as a amplefierer and they could make more sounds that what we can make now with it i am sure
If you remove the digital sounds it sounds very real
The idea of it being used for mating sound good to and its my feeling as well that male would sport more colors than females

Ahh yeah i hope i can wacth that episode again,thx for the link :D

Arul

Quote from: Balaur on September 23, 2014, 05:49:10 AM
I think it was used to amplify sound, to communicate with members of the herd. I think that it could also be used to attract mates, and the crest would be larger to distinguish it from female calls and to be used as part of the courtship. Also, do you guys thimk it could have webbing between the neck and crest?

First i thought they use it for fight or self defense  :D emm if it really2 have a web,i think they will not use their crest for fight because it could be hurt them self ..

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: ARUL on September 23, 2014, 05:14:56 AM
Greetings :) i wanna share something,im wacthing nat geo wild on tv few days ago,the program is "living dinosaur".they discus about parasaurolophus horn function.after they examine the radiology result of its horn,they said that they found a labyrinth form and its look like a musical instrument labyrinth form (trombone).they assumed that the function of their "horn" is for communicate especially for sing a mating song.thats why the male horn is longer and larger than the female.what do you think friends ? Thx :)
Myself, I would be intersted to know how they determined which was male or female other than guessing by the crest...which could suggest the conclusions might be backwards.Do we know the longer crest was male and how exactly?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

reinier zwanink

Well i read (and heard) that they cant find if a fossil was male or female for there anatomy is the same
Rarely they find a special bone thats made by ovulating females

stargatedalek

sound and display is really all it can be used for, its not strong enough to use as a weapon

IIRC gender dimorphism in parasaurolophus is entirely speculative?

HD-man

Quote from: ARUL on September 23, 2014, 05:14:56 AMGreetings :) i wanna share something,im wacthing nat geo wild on tv few days ago,the program is "living dinosaur".

The only Nat Geo Wild doc I can find by that name is about fish: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/episodes/living-dinosaur/

Quote from: reinier zwanink on September 23, 2014, 06:00:21 AMThe idea of it being used for mating sound good to and its my feeling as well that male would sport more colors than females

Based on what I've read, it probably was the case (E.g. See the following quote & pic).

To quote Gardom/Milner ( http://www.amazon.com/Natural-History-Museum-Book-Dinosaurs/dp/184442183X/ref=la_B00MTGG5RK_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411521534&sr=1-1 ):
QuoteSIGHT AND SOUND. The long crest of this male Parasaurolophus acted as a sound and visual signal. Females had a shorter more curved crest so they could be distinguished within the herd.

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

amargasaurus cazaui

So again I ask, how do we know which was male and which female? Is there some fossil evidence for this or speculation ?

Or as Malcom said..."does someone go around the park lifting the skirts to check?"
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Not sure what the current consensus is on para crests. But, at one time, wasn't one species, P. cyrtocristatus, thought to have been a female of P. walkeri?

I'm not sure that opinion is valid any more, though.

Arul

Wow,im getting confuse right now hehehe i think i have to read some net/text book first..

HD-man

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 23, 2014, 09:28:29 PMSo again I ask, how do we know which was male and which female? Is there some fossil evidence for this or speculation ?

It's based on Hopson's 1975 biometric study ("Figure 5: Hopson [37] postulated that sexual dimorphisms were present in the size of Parasaurolopohus cranial crests. The narrower and "weaker" crests were thought to belong to females (shown on the right), whereas the larger and "fuller" crests were thought to be those of the males (shown on the left)": http://aps.group.shef.ac.uk/level-4-web-sites/l4-students-09/barden-holly/4th-year-dissertation.pdf ).

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 23, 2014, 10:26:12 PMI'm not sure that opinion is valid any more, though.

Based on what I've read, it is (E.g. See the following quote & pics).

Quoting Holtz (See "HADROSAURIDAE": http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/G104/lectures/104ornithop.html ):
QuoteDifferences in crest size and shapes within some populations may reflect sexual and/or ontogenetic variations.

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

stargatedalek

last I heard the general consensus was that they were 2 distinct species

tyrantqueen

QuoteBased on what I've read, it is (E.g. See the following quote & pics).
I see, thank you for the clarification. I always thought it made more sense that they were juveniles or females. I checked out Scott Hartman's skeletal restoration of P. cyrtocristatus, but he seems to think it's a different species, not gender.

amargasaurus cazaui

I understand the basic idea that it is being said the two different crests represent opposite sexes. My specific question is what is the basis being used to suggest the larger fuller crest belongs to the male?
  Is there some fossil trait or reasoning behind this decision or is it speculation?

tyrantqueen

It's just speculation, based on living animals. It's not like they looked at the medullary bone or growth rings etc.

CityRaptor

It's usually the male animal that develops structures like that, or when both have it, it is the one that develops them more prominently. That also is true in species where the female is bigger.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

But there are indeed exceptions to the rule, some birds for instance the female has bolder colours

I had thought there was more besides the crest to go on classifying them as different species?

CityRaptor

Ofcourse there are always some expections. For mammals it would be the Spotted Hyena, where the female is bigger than the male.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: