News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Cracker Jack prizes ? What are these ?

Started by tw22, October 01, 2014, 07:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tw22

Hello ! Long time no post ... found these today, they were in a bag full of Cracker Jack prizes and charms from the 50's-70's, maybe the 80's. I don't think these are Cracker Jack prizes though, maybe some other type of gumball machine prize or something ? None of them have any maker markings. Any help identifying them would be awesome, these are tiny 1-1.5" or so. Thanks !

SBell

Those are giveaways that came with Nabisco products made by Linde.

tw22

Ahhh .... thank you for the help ! I was thinking someone on this forum would be able to identify them rather easily :) Much appreciated :-)

Roselaar

Interesting bunch of figures! I like the Indricotherium particularly.

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on October 02, 2014, 09:40:29 PM

From what I can tell, that is the only mammal figure there.

There were two distinct sets, a 'dinosaur' set (with hard to find Rhamphorhynchus) and a mammal set. Although some are a little off, it's a pretty decent set that also included  Barylambda, Macracauchenia, Smilodon (with long tail), Mammoth, Dinohyus, Alticamelus and Brontotherium.

So yes, a few of those names have since changed. It was a while ago.

They originally were cast in a shinier silver plastic, although the actual shine can vary. Then some of them have shown up in other colours, possibly as recasts by Linde, possibly as knock offs. Maybe both. It's hard to tell.

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

SBell

Quote from: predino on October 03, 2014, 12:51:48 AM
Nice!! :D now its all paper crud! :(

They were never given away in Cracker Jacks boxes as far as I know. Just cereals.

Hynerpeton

Quote from: SBell on October 03, 2014, 02:50:42 AM

They were never given away in Cracker Jacks boxes as far as I know. Just cereals.

Oh ok. But I know they did once have toys in cracker jacks though.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

tw22

Thanks ! :-) I may put these up on Ebay in a few days, not sure yet, but I usually do. You're welcome to go after them lol.

Quote from: SBell on October 03, 2014, 12:22:15 AM

From what I can tell, that is the only mammal figure there.

There were two distinct sets, a 'dinosaur' set (with hard to find Rhamphorhynchus) and a mammal set. Although some are a little off, it's a pretty decent set that also included  Barylambda, Macracauchenia, Smilodon (with long tail), Mammoth, Dinohyus, Alticamelus and Brontotherium.

So yes, a few of those names have since changed. It was a while ago.

They originally were cast in a shinier silver plastic, although the actual shine can vary. Then some of them have shown up in other colours, possibly as recasts by Linde, possibly as knock offs. Maybe both. It's hard to tell.
I like the color of these. The sort of muted, dulled down greys and blues and whatnot. I also love the molds, reminds me of Harryhausen and stuff like Land of the Lost :) Although my favorite colors used on plastic figures (Marx, etc) were the shiny metallic muted colors. Those deeper purples, blues, greens. I know it's not a dino, but one of my favorite figures I have is this one ... hard to capture the pale aqua-green well with my crap camera, but hopefully you'll get the gist, it's one of my favorite colors of plastic figures:

This one stands about 4 inches. I like the way his arms are broken ... reminds me of a some ancient statue. He also very much reminds me of the Galaxy Laser Team figures that used to be made. Anyways, excuse the non-dino derail lol ...

Yeah I know :-) Although iron-on stuff was pretty epic when you would find those types of things as your prize !

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: tw22 on October 01, 2014, 07:08:10 PM
Hello ! Long time no post ... found these today, they were in a bag full of Cracker Jack prizes and charms from the 50's-70's, maybe the 80's. I don't think these are Cracker Jack prizes though, maybe some other type of gumball machine prize or something ? None of them have any maker markings. Any help identifying them would be awesome, these are tiny 1-1.5" or so. Thanks !

Left top to bottom hadrosaur, sauropod, plesiosaur, Paraceratherium

Second row top to bottom pachycephalosaurus, Edmontonia(?), ramphoryncus, stegosaur

Third row top to bottom Parasaurolophus, pachycephalosaurus, hadrosaur, edmontonia(?)

Fourth row top to bottom pachycepalosaurus, Parasaurolophus,triceratops, ramphoryncus,

Last row top to bottom triceratops, edmontonia(?), triceratops, Parasaurolophus
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

tw22

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on October 03, 2014, 09:06:43 PM

Second row top to bottom pachycephalosaurus, Edmontonia(?), ramphoryncus, stegosaur

Third row top to bottom Parasaurolophus, pachycephalosaurus, hadrosaur, edmontonia(?)

Fourth row top to bottom pachycepalosaurus, Parasaurolophus,triceratops, ramphoryncus,

Hey cool, and even more in depth ID'ing. Thanks ! Although I was mostly concerned with their manufacturer origin and identification. Thank you regardless :)

Ultimatedinoking

[/quote] Hey cool, and even more in depth ID'ing. Thanks ! Although I was mostly concerned with their manufacturer origin and identification. Thank you regardless :)
[/quote]

Your welcome  :D
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

stoneage

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on October 03, 2014, 09:06:43 PM

The figure in the upper left hand corner is suppose to be Trachodon which is no longer valid.  Probably could be Edmontosaurus or Anatotitan.  The one below that is suppose to be Brontosaurus, now Apatosaurus.  The figure at the bottom of row one is suppose to be Baluchtherium which is what it was called at the time.  The figure at the top of the second row is suppose to be Tyrannosaurus not Pachycepholosaurus.  Below that is a figure called Palaeoscincus which is a doubtful species but is probably actually Edmontonia or Panophosaurus.  The Parasaurolophus could also be Kritosaurus.

Ultimatedinoking

The "tyrannosaur" clearly has a domed head.
-UDK

tw22

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on October 05, 2014, 10:36:48 PM
The "tyrannosaur" clearly has a domed head.
Yeah it's pretty domed, looks more like the pachycephalosaurus imo. Although the teeth are rather prominent and large, so maybe it's an anatomically incorrect T-Rex ?

stargatedalek

on closer inspection looking at how far up the eyes are on the "dome" I think its fairly clear its not based on any pachycephalosaur skull

tw22

Here I just took a close up of it (I have a little photo area setup for quick pics like this lol) ... maybe this will help ID it, should the debate continue lol :-) ...

On a side note, I think I am going to put these up on ebay, prol in about 25 minutes. Thanks again for those who helped ID the maker of these, I appreciate it as always ^_^ !!!

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 06, 2014, 01:55:52 AM
on closer inspection looking at how far up the eyes are on the "dome" I think its fairly clear its not based on any pachycephalosaur skull

Hynerpeton

How much will they be? Would not mind one.
Walking With Monsers:

tw22

Quote from: predino on October 06, 2014, 02:42:08 AM
How much will they be? Would not mind one.
I went ahead and included them in a group of stuff I put up to start at 8:30pm CST for 7 days ... started them off at 99 cents ^_^ So theoretically, you could buy them for a dollar plus a couple of bucks for shipping (assuming you're in the US), so long as no one else bids on them lol. I suppose I could put a Buy It Now on them, but I wasn't sure what to put for a Buy It Now :-/

Here ya go !:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111478291489?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I am curious now though, whether or not that one is a pachy or a T-Rex hahaha .....

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: