News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

That looks to be the same as the set I found at Dollarama (with only slight packaging variations). Does the packaging on these ones also label the miragaia as spinosaurus and brachiosaurus as tanystropheus?

Cammy

This version of the collection doesn't seem to label the dinosaurs at all, they all have the same packaging. I also have the Tyrannosaurus Rex now (based on Schliech's T-Rex) which isn't too bad apart from the painting around the mouth.

SBell

I'm amused that this thread went from one discussing the merits/issues/outright-villainy involved with knock-off models, and seems to have equally become the place that people celebrate and share the ones they found, supporting the knock off industry.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

:P

Ironic indeed, I try to avoid buying knock off figures but when I spot one second hand or on liquidation it can be hard to resist :-[

CityRaptor

You must resist the temptation! Fight your urge! Be strong! ( And I don't mean Tara Strong, although she probably could afford a lot Dinosaur toys if she wanted...)
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Well buying them second hand from thrift stores doesn't really have any effect on either the original or knock-off brand, so I'd say thats an exception to circumstances.

sauroid

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 06, 2015, 09:03:54 PM
Well buying them second hand from thrift stores doesn't really have any effect on either the original or knock-off brand, so I'd say thats an exception to circumstances.
that's my justification too when buying second hand knock-offs. i will never buy copies brand new.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Cammy

I never set out to support piracy. I'd love to be able to buy original CollectA and Safari figures but no one around here sells them. I'd still even buy the same original dinosaurs I bought as knockoffs if I had the chance. I'm not exactly proud of the three bootlegs I own now, and must admit I mainly bought them out of enthusiasm to share my findings with the people on this board after seeing these particular toys being mentioned a couple of times. I guess I'm pretty pathetic, I try to make friends online and get scolded for not having the same ethical hangups as others in the group. If it's any consolation, I feel like a guilty scumbag now.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Cammy on January 07, 2015, 04:29:12 PM
I never set out to support piracy. I'd love to be able to buy original CollectA and Safari figures but no one around here sells them. I'd still even buy the same original dinosaurs I bought as knockoffs if I had the chance. I'm not exactly proud of the three bootlegs I own now, and must admit I mainly bought them out of enthusiasm to share my findings with the people on this board after seeing these particular toys being mentioned a couple of times. I guess I'm pretty pathetic, I try to make friends online and get scolded for not having the same ethical hangups as others in the group. If it's any consolation, I feel like a guilty scumbag now.
You don't need to feel bad. I don't endorse piracy yet I still own knock off figures. I don't feel guilty about it. It's a complicated topic!

Megalosaurus

[...]I guess I'm pretty pathetic, I try to make friends online and get scolded for not having the same ethical hangups as others in the group. If it's any consolation, I feel like a guilty scumbag now.
Don't be so hard with yourself.
Just like you, I live in a country where NO BODY sells Safari, CollectA, Papo nor Schleich. I perfectly understand the felling of find a so cool figure even if it is a bootleg. I've myself spend a LOT of money buying the originals online, shipping costs surpases for much the price of the figures. So for a set of 5 originals I spend around $90 USD (shipping included), a set of bootlegs of that figures cost me $20 USD in my country. I bought the bootlegs even when I already owned the originals, I think its a great material to practice paint and modding.
But a bootleg can never replace the original, I always asure I get the original first. In fact I only have that 5 bootlegs to date.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

DinoLord

Don't feel too guilty; us collectors can be a very impulsive type! However the Internet is great for finding figures of all types. I would say the vast majority of my collection consists of figures that almost definitely were never/would not be sold within hundreds or even thousands of miles of me. If shipping is too much of a problem, Amazon is great for commonly available figures like Papo or Safari.

Tallin

I agree - I'm lucky that I live in the uk so although I can't usually find figures in shops unless they are schleich, I can order online without having to worry about steep shipping fees. On the other hand, I'm at university and my course is very intensive so I don't have time for a part time job at the same time, so I can't afford to buy papos really or the resin kits I would so dearly like to build...one day I know I'll get hold of one though!

In terms of bootlegs, I don't see that buying one from a second-hand store/charity shop is a problem since it doesn't put  money into the criminal industry - if anything, the money from second hand shops round here tends to go to charities.

SBell

You shouldn't feel like scum or anything--we all have at least some questionable models. A lot of the time, it really is about availability and price--and sometimes opportunity. Where are you that it is so hard to find the figures you want?

Arul

Oops i accidently post in wrong thread, how to delete this reply ? Sorry

Cammy

Quote from: SBell on January 07, 2015, 11:56:33 PM
You shouldn't feel like scum or anything--we all have at least some questionable models. A lot of the time, it really is about availability and price--and sometimes opportunity. Where are you that it is so hard to find the figures you want?

I live in a small town in Australia. I'm also unemployed due to a disability I was born with so affording the really good models and international postage to this isolated continent is an opportunity that I rarely have. Last year I was able to travel up the coast by bus to Toys R Us, where they had Schleich, Chap Mei and WWD3D dinosaur toys, which I bought a few of when they were on sale, but that store is closed now, and local department stores have opted for selling the cheapest Chinese trash instead of decent toys in recent years. Also, my local Australian Geographic store used to sell GeoWorld toys, but I bought the last ones before they stopped stocking them. So I really am running out of options and seeing these very nicely-detailed knockoffs was a breath of fresh air after having nothing else to choose from for so long.

DinoLord

Cammy if you ever get the chance to visit natural history museums in major cities, most will have at least some decent figures in the gift shops.

triceratops83

Quote from: Cammy on January 08, 2015, 02:06:18 AM
I live in a small town in Australia. I'm also unemployed due to a disability I was born with so affording the really good models and international postage to this isolated continent is an opportunity that I rarely have. Last year I was able to travel up the coast by bus to Toys R Us, where they had Schleich, Chap Mei and WWD3D dinosaur toys, which I bought a few of when they were on sale, but that store is closed now, and local department stores have opted for selling the cheapest Chinese trash instead of decent toys in recent years. Also, my local Australian Geographic store used to sell GeoWorld toys, but I bought the last ones before they stopped stocking them. So I really am running out of options and seeing these very nicely-detailed knockoffs was a breath of fresh air after having nothing else to choose from for so long.

minizoo.com.au is a place that sells most major brands, and offers free postage on orders over $50. They have everything but the Japanese brands and Battat. I know what it's like to find Dinosaur toys in Australia, I've only got like two or three things that I've bought in person, everything else has been bought online. Try Minizoo though, I can't praise it enough.

Quote from: DinoLord on January 08, 2015, 02:31:31 AM
Cammy if you ever get the chance to visit natural history museums in major cities, most will have at least some decent figures in the gift shops.

All the Brisbane museum has is a Collecta stand and the usual kiddy/chinasaur stuff.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

triceratops83

What's everyone's stance on the ethics of recasting kits that are no longer available? For example, there's an Ebay seller from Mexico who offers recast resin kits of the Kaiyodo Dinoland models. Is it acceptable if the originals are no longer being produced? I know it would be disgraceful if one were stealing from an independent artist but does it make a difference if they are copying from a large company? Would like to hear thoughts on this, and if it is generally considered wrong, why are recasters allowed to operate in a public setting like Ebay with impunity?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 11, 2015, 06:48:10 AM
What's everyone's stance on the ethics of recasting kits that are no longer available? For example, there's an Ebay seller from Mexico who offers recast resin kits of the Kaiyodo Dinoland models. Is it acceptable if the originals are no longer being produced? I know it would be disgraceful if one were stealing from an independent artist but does it make a difference if they are copying from a large company? Would like to hear thoughts on this, and if it is generally considered wrong, why are recasters allowed to operate in a public setting like Ebay with impunity?
You might want to check this out, it's worth a read: http://theclubhouse1.net/museum/RECAST.htm

QuoteWHAT ABOUT OUT-OF-PRODUCTION KITS?

Some folks think that there's no harm to buying a recast of an out-of-production kit. Unfortunately, it's still wrong. The original producer could always reintroduce the kit himself or sell the rights to another legitimate producer who can reintroduce the kit. But, no one will do a second run of nicely made kits if the market is already flooded with cheap recasts. Also, beware when a re-caster tells you a kit is out of production. It often is not, but rather still readily available form the original producer.

In my opinion, it is worth it to hunt down an original rather than going for a recast. Recasts are such horrible quality.  I have owned a recast once in the past (back when I was first starting out and didn't understand what recasting actually was) and the quality is like night and day.

I bet if you asked the original artist, 99% of them would not want their work cast without their consent, even if the kit is out of production. I believe it is important to respect that right.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: