News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on July 11, 2015, 08:28:02 PM
Oh!  If this picture: http://michell-vall.deviantart.com/art/bootleg-Safari-Carnegie-miragaia-501622095 is of the same knock-off Miragaia, then getting closer leaves no doubt that it's a knock-off!
Perhaps its just the distance but to my eyes those ones seem to have more detail on them than mine (in the link you posted), perhaps we are seeing bootlegs of bootlegs here with further degradation of quality over time.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'm at the beach right now and I see lots of KO's. There's a small brown miragaia, mini carnegie brach with a short backwards neck and a CollectA stegosaurus with Safari colors. Nothing new, but it makes me wonder why it is only the same few models which are ripped off in different forms
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Takama

To be honest, i am shocked at the increase of Knock offs popping up in the Ebay Adds on our Website. Heck there even on Amazon now

joossa

Quote from: Takama on July 12, 2015, 06:28:56 AM
To be honest, i am shocked at the increase of Knock offs popping up in the Ebay Adds on our Website. Heck there even on Amazon now
They probably ramped up production due to them wanting to capitalize off of JW. I would think sights of these will die down a bit over the next few months... who knows?
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

DinoG

Just found a Papo 2€ triceratops bad copy while on holidays in Cyprus
Run!

CityRaptor

Sounds like a waste of 2€ to me. Bootlegs are a waste of money, space and other resources. These things might also be unhealthy.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 13, 2015, 04:54:27 PM
Sounds like a waste of 2€ to me. Bootlegs are a waste of money, space and other resources. These things might also be unhealthy.
I actually agree, but posting something like this in the KO thread is a bit pointless tbh. People here have already made their minds up.

LophoLeeVT

this is a very interesting topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

docronnie

Just saw the Schleich bootlegs yesterday at Divisoria and I think I saw a Papo baby T Rex too.  They are sold in sets. Sloppily painted but very close, no marks under the belly and lighter than the original.  Did notice some seams on the Schleich T Rex on the legs. They seem to be solid.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Ikessauro

123hellobgbg

Quote from: docronnie on July 21, 2015, 11:12:56 PM
Just saw the Schleich bootlegs yesterday at Divisoria and I think I saw a Papo baby T Rex too.  They are sold in sets. Sloppily painted but very close, no marks under the belly and lighter than the original.  Did notice some seams on the Schleich T Rex on the legs. They seem to be solid.
xD that's definetely a china product.
Are you from Philippines?

Viking Spawn

When I visited the Cleveland Museum of Natural History a week ago, the gift shop was selling knock off Papo Dinosaurs.  There was a dark green repaint of the standing T-Rex which was only $16.  I almost purchased it.  I should have noted the tag hanging around its neck which indicated what company had apparently used the mold.  I will try to finger out more details on my next visit, hopefully soon...

joossa

Quote from: Viking Spawn on July 28, 2015, 06:15:07 AM
When I visited the Cleveland Museum of Natural History a week ago, the gift shop was selling knock off Papo Dinosaurs.  There was a dark green repaint of the standing T-Rex which was only $16.  I almost purchased it.  I should have noted the tag hanging around its neck which indicated what company had apparently used the mold.  I will try to finger out more details on my next visit, hopefully soon...

Yup, same thing with the San Diego Natural History Museum when I went last year.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Halichoeres

Such a bummer to see knock-offs for sale in museums.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Viking Spawn

Quote from: joossa on July 28, 2015, 06:30:48 AM

Yup, same thing with the San Diego Natural History Museum when I went last year.

That's the one!  I'm also seeing plenty of Papo and Schleich knock offs on eBay lately too.  They are again the same molds repainted and sold for cheap.  I mean real cheap.  Many are under $10.   :-\

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 28, 2015, 02:59:28 PM
Such a bummer to see knock-offs for sale in museums.

Most large museums don't even do their own orders anymore--they have museum store supply agencies that just create a merch plan and send it in--most don't really care what the museum's (or zoo's, or aquarium's, or science centre's) focus is, they just have standard lines based on broad categories and store or visitor numbers.

So most of the time, they wouldn't even know--they are just ordering dinosaurs and won't really know beyond a few major companies that they include (usually Wild Republic, sometimes Schleich); or the generic toy companies that supply them.

docronnie

Quote from: 123hellobgbg on July 27, 2015, 10:39:21 PM
Quote from: docronnie on July 21, 2015, 11:12:56 PM
xD that's definetely a china product.
Are you from Philippines?

Yes, I am.  ;)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

LophoLeeVT

i have to totally agree with ya on that one ultimatedinoking...
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Viking Spawn on July 28, 2015, 04:22:37 PM
Quote from: joossa on July 28, 2015, 06:30:48 AM

That's the one!  I'm also seeing plenty of Papo and Schleich knock offs on eBay lately too.  They are again the same molds repainted and sold for cheap.  I mean real cheap.  Many are under $10.   :-\

The really sad thing is that is better than the official Jurassic World figures... :-\

Viking Spawn

I agree with you Blade.  I think the new Jurassic world toys look terrible.  The only ones I like are the 4 Raptors.  :-\

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: