News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 02, 2014, 06:28:48 PM
(last I knew) all of the impressions were from the; legs, underside of feet, lower base of tail, and throat
all of these skin or scale impressions are from the exact places that would be expected to be bald on a feathered animal
The problem being that if you use Yutyrannus to make your point, you also have to accept that it is feathered in many of those same places ....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

Here you go Dalek...per wiki..while wiki is not perhaps the best reference in the world it makes the point clearly......."The feathers covered various parts of the body. With the holotype they were present on the pelvis and the foot. Specimen ZCDM V5000 had feathers on the tail pointing backwards under an angle of 30° with the tail axis. The smallest specimen showed 20 centimetre (7.9 inch)-long filaments on the neck and 16 centimetre (6.3 inch)-long feathers at the upper arm. Based on this distribution, they may have covered the whole body and served in regulating temperature, given the rather cold climate of the Yixian with an average annual temperature of 10°C (50°F). Alternatively, if they were restricted to the regions in which they were found, they may have served as display structures. In addition, the two adult specimens had distinctive, "wavy" crests on their snouts, on both sides of a high central crest, which were probably used for display. The presence of feathers on a large basal tyrannosauroid suggests the possibility that later tyrannosaurids were also feathered, even when adult, despite their size.[2] However, scaly skin impressions have been reported from various Late Cretaceous tyrannosaurids (such as Gorgosaurus, Tarbosaurus and Tyrannosaurus) on parts of the body where Yutyrannus was feathered. Since there is no positive evidence for plumage in tyrannosaurids, some researchers have suggested they may have evolved scales secondarily.[6] If scaly skin was the dominant epidermal trait of later genera, then the extent and nature of the integumentary covering may have changed over time in response to body size, a warmer climate, or other factors.[2]
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

thats a good point about yutyrannus having such extensive plumage, I would think this was due to its comparatively cold environment
I still think its more conservative to assume later relations would have been retained in some form, far from these extensive fully feathered reconstructions that are becoming so prevalent, but not entirely bare either

suspsy

Given that feathers did not always leave fossil impressions, and given phylogenetic bracketing, it's not at all unreasonable to surmise that Tyrannosaurus rex had feathers. We have absolutely zero fossil evidence of Deinonychus and Utahraptor having feathers for that matter.

This is a more conservative version of a feathered T. Rex. I'd be just as pleased if CollectA's looked like this;

http://wildlifeartist.com.au/showimage.asp?code=F077
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on November 02, 2014, 06:57:14 PM
Given that feathers did not always leave fossil impressions, and given phylogenetic bracketing, it's not at all unreasonable to surmise that Tyrannosaurus rex had feathers. We have absolutely zero fossil evidence of Deinonychus and Utahraptor having feathers for that matter.

This is a more conservative version of a feathered T. Rex. I'd be just as pleased if CollectA's looked like this;

That doesn't have feathers.

tyrantqueen

How about...the oreo rex >:D

I like it. Not sure why its teeth are black though.

stargatedalek

as far as plausibility goes, I was thinking something more equivalent to this;
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/059/d/9/final_2_by_haghani-d5wi08c.jpg
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/039/b/a/ornito_by_haghani-d5u8afl.jpg

however, we have plenty of bare and a few nearly bare tyrannosaurus, so some speculative highly feathered figures would be nice

suspsy

Quote from: Concavenator on November 02, 2014, 06:59:14 PM

....uh, yes, it absolutely does have feathers. Not a ton of feathers like in those other artworks, but it does have them. Look again.

Appalachiosaurus

Could someone link the paper describing the scale impressions on tyrannosaurids?

From what I can tell, most are in the hands of collectors.

Concavenator

Hey I think the Acrocanthosaurus is going to be really interesting to see,especially having the awesome Carcharodontosaurus.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Concavenator on November 02, 2014, 06:59:14 PM

Yep he have feather. A kind of primitive feather in the head.

amanda

Look, this is pointless. CollectA's Rex will be feathered. Whether or not you like/buy it depends totally on artistic impression. If you want a fluffisaurus, or if want one with mange. :D It is still CollectA and still total speculation.  I am hoping for the best with the Acro. If it is good it may be my first CollectA. I have a short list of wants from them, but have never got round to them.

stargatedalek

asking people to stop, and then leaving a closing passive aggressive remark is not exactly going to get people to stop
(up until your last jab) this discussion had been friendly and highly enjoyable

suspsy

I don't understand what you're upset about, Amanda. We're just discussing what the as-yet unrevealed figure will look like. If that kind of discussion was discouraged, these boards would be at least 68.5% less active.

amanda

amanda

What in the world makes you think I am mad? Or was mad? I was not. I am a bit now, simply over my inability to apparently be able to communicate. Partaking in discussions, even via typing, are difficult for me. Bordering on impossible. I have no malicious intent...

....and to be honest, the hassle isn't worth it. so never mind. Have fun, enjoy.

Yutyrannus

All right, here is a very conservative picture of a Tyrannosaurus, this is halfway in between the highly speculative completely feathered and completely scaly depictions:
http://tomozaurus.deviantart.com/art/Tyrannosaurus-2014-438953910

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Bokisaurus

Ah, those two mammals are pretty nice, they will rank as one of the best out there. CAn't wait to see the last group :D

alexeratops

I'm actually interested to see the Guidraco, I want to see what pose they make it in. ???
like a bantha!

tanystropheus

Guidraco would be nice, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Most companies (e.g. CollectA/Schleich/Favorite/Bullyland) tend to make their pterosaurs cartoony. Except WS...WS pterosaurs rock...but they are so few and far between.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: