News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 01, 2015, 03:59:28 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on January 31, 2015, 05:56:54 PM
Does anyone have real life pics of the first wave of new figures?

I'll have the Ceratopsians by Thursday.
Be sure to post some pics please!  ;)

triceratops83

Quote from: Concavenator on February 01, 2015, 10:10:43 AM
Be sure to post some pics please!  ;)

As soon as I unpack them. Minizoo's so reliable you can set your watch to their deliveries.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

triceratops83

The Collecta Nasutoceratops and Medusaceratops. Here are some angles you haven't seen yet, as well as some comparisons to the Xenoceratops. Even though they are similar IMO they are still different sculpts. Collecta is getting better at detailing their figures.

If anyone needs more photos, just ask. But I'm on my way to work so it'll be a while.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

sauroid

thanks for the pics triceratops83.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Meso-Cenozoic

Nice pics, triceratops83. Thanks! I actually like the Nasutoceratops better in these real life pics, but not better than the WS. Although, I'm still having problems with the Medusaceratops. Besides the already mentioned beak problem (which I think looks even worse here), the paint seems a bit sloppy. And the black circle around the eyes that continues down the cheek looks more like the paint ran down the cheek than being a planned pattern. I'll probably still be getting these, though. They're unique enough to have in my ceratopsian collection. Though, I do hope in the future they double check the simple anatomical features before going into mass production. And I wouldn't mind if they stopped using that mohawk altogether.

sauroid

the faux-hawk is getting tiresome as the samey paint patterns on most of their figures.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

An exacto and a little paint..voila. Everyone's happy. :)

suspsy

Thanks for posting these photos, triceratops83. It never occurred to me that the Nasuto would be smaller. What a relief that the claims of mould recycling have proved untrue.

And yes, the Medusa would have looked better without the eyeliner. Aside from that, these colour schemes look nice. I especially like Nasuto's. Now if only the stores I rely on would get these guys in stock!!!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Great pictures! The Nasuto looks good - I didn't realize that it was tilting its head. In the stock photos, the Nasuto seemed as if it was missing a neck, altogether  :D

triceratops83

You're welcome everyone! I can't believe I got these so quickly, Minizoo's really on the ball. Just to reiterate, the others in the first wave are Daxiatitan, Xingguanlong and Pliosaurus.

amargasaurus cazaui

Just to clarify...I am unsure anyone said they were mould recycling ....i believe we were suggesting the sculpts were heavily copied one from another which I still see clearly is the case with the two larger pieces....If you compare the bodies, other than the posture of the tail, the musculature , body bulk and  shape are practically identical and do suggest a copious amount of at the very minimium "borrowing" They appear to the be the same basic bodies with different texturing...I do not feel the pictures did you any favors honestly. The two figures, with same head and texturing could be bookends. At the raw minimium the sculpter is relying heavily on the same sculpted body...and that is being very politically correct.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

triceratops83

Sorry, didn't want to start up this argument again.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 04, 2015, 02:04:33 PM
Sorry, didn't want to start up this argument again.
You did not restart an argument, it was a discussion.I do appreciate your sharing and thanks very much Triceratops.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Tallin

I'm usually into stegosaurs more than cerotopsians, but I must say I do like the Nasuto quite a bit here...with a repaint I think he'd look lovely especially if he had the safari one as a companion.

triceratops83

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 04, 2015, 02:12:16 PM
You did not restart an argument, it was a discussion.I do appreciate your sharing and thanks very much Triceratops.

No problem, I knew people were interested in the comparisons and wanted to help. And yes you are right, the Medusa and Xeno are almost mirror images, I picked up this package shortly before I had to leave for work and didn't have much time to compare, not to mention I was a little excited ::)  What doesn't show up in my photos is the newer Medusa is far more detailed - the musculature is more sharply refined, skin folds are clearly visible and the scales are more prominent. At first I thought the feet were different sizes between the figures, but it was just a trick of the different colours. The similarities are not a problem for me, I am quite delighted with these new figures :))

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 04, 2015, 02:25:09 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 04, 2015, 02:12:16 PM

No problem, I knew people were interested in the comparisons and wanted to help. And yes you are right, the Medusa and Xeno are almost mirror images, I picked up this package shortly before I had to leave for work and didn't have much time to compare, not to mention I was a little excited ::)  What doesn't show up in my photos is the newer Medusa is far more detailed - the musculature is more sharply refined, skin folds are clearly visible and the scales are more prominent. At first I thought the feet were different sizes between the figures, but it was just a trick of the different colours. The similarities are not a problem for me, I am quite delighted with these new figures :))
I do appreciate your sharing triceratops and I promise that is all I intended to say for the matter, but I did feel the need to make note of what I can see clearly. You take nice sharp pictures !!!

suspsy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 04, 2015, 01:51:58 PM
Just to clarify...I am unsure anyone said they were mould recycling

Oh really? :)

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 22, 2015, 02:31:42 PM
There is no "percieved Laziness" involved here...they are recycling dinosaur models from year to year with minor alterations and new paint and and reselling them...as different species. That is laziness, as you can see from the majority of other comments affirming the point . There is just nothing even vaguely indirect about it, it is fact. It is not perception , it is reality.
  And more to the point I AM in the a perfect place to pass judgement...you see, I am the consumer. I am the final market for these products...I am Joe B Public whose money will or will not make or break this company. Wether you get that or not is not relevent, this company's ultimate success or failure relys on myself and people just like me, to either choose to purchase recyled figures or not. From people's reactions within this forum already I can tell you the public is saying...not. They did themselves no favors in public perception here.
    If I understand your argument, you are attempting to state they cannot stay afloat, meet deadlines, or do their jobs  if they make new sculpts for each dinosaur......other companies do and most do not rely on this poor business model to do it with .
  By your argument, anything a toy should then be handled like an action figure. Sorry, that is really poor logic. Transformers by their very story lines and origins invite repaints and so forth...ie.....soundwave, soundblaster, etc . You simply cannot make the same argument for dinosaur figures sorry......I am just positive that medusaceratops and Nasutoceratops were not evil brothers on another planet and then came to earth as good and evil, so they look alike . Aside from this and somewhat apparently lost in the shuffle is that none of these ceratopsians were identical as they are being modeled. I also made NO claims about papo, battat, safari, and I would prefer you did not misquote me. As for how could I know what Doug or Dan or Forest would do....I can say this much. When asked if he had recycled any of his models  Doug responded he still has the original sculpts for each and every single piece he has done . That in itself tells you something....integrity. As for Dan.....he sculpts dinosaurs for a company that trusts his judgement enough to allow him to choose the species, turn in original models and paint them. Why? Because he has a reputation for producing top of the line figures and having...yes, integrity. He is not known for recycling sculpts, that is not his calling card. It doesnt matter what they would do if they were working for collecta because I believe either artist would refuse to lower their standards to the level of recycling models just to put something on the market.
Yes Collecta is indeed giving us a whopping fourteen figures this year.....apparently the logic is smother with quantity and forget quality. We are getting three nearly identical, with slight alterations, Spinosaur models...sound familiar? We are getting a recycled ceratopsian......so that somewhat drops the whopping total doesn't it? And even worse, next year when we get another nine whopping brand newly recycled sculpts, I am sure you will see that as nothing to complain about again, since you are willing to accept it now. Of course we can always line them up on the shelf and use them for the power rangers to ride into battle !!!!

I also thought that the Nasuto and the Medusa were retooled sculpts of the Xeno. Again, I'm glad to have been wrong.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: suspsy on February 04, 2015, 03:53:32 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 04, 2015, 01:51:58 PM
Just to clarify...I am unsure anyone said they were mould recycling

Oh really? :)

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 22, 2015, 02:31:42 PM
There is no "percieved Laziness" involved here...they are recycling dinosaur models from year to year with minor alterations and new paint and and reselling them...as different species. That is laziness, as you can see from the majority of other comments affirming the point . There is just nothing even vaguely indirect about it, it is fact. It is not perception , it is reality.
  And more to the point I AM in the a perfect place to pass judgement...you see, I am the consumer. I am the final market for these products...I am Joe B Public whose money will or will not make or break this company. Wether you get that or not is not relevent, this company's ultimate success or failure relys on myself and people just like me, to either choose to purchase recyled figures or not. From people's reactions within this forum already I can tell you the public is saying...not. They did themselves no favors in public perception here.
    If I understand your argument, you are attempting to state they cannot stay afloat, meet deadlines, or do their jobs  if they make new sculpts for each dinosaur......other companies do and most do not rely on this poor business model to do it with .
  By your argument, anything a toy should then be handled like an action figure. Sorry, that is really poor logic. Transformers by their very story lines and origins invite repaints and so forth...ie.....soundwave, soundblaster, etc . You simply cannot make the same argument for dinosaur figures sorry......I am just positive that medusaceratops and Nasutoceratops were not evil brothers on another planet and then came to earth as good and evil, so they look alike . Aside from this and somewhat apparently lost in the shuffle is that none of these ceratopsians were identical as they are being modeled. I also made NO claims about papo, battat, safari, and I would prefer you did not misquote me. As for how could I know what Doug or Dan or Forest would do....I can say this much. When asked if he had recycled any of his models  Doug responded he still has the original sculpts for each and every single piece he has done . That in itself tells you something....integrity. As for Dan.....he sculpts dinosaurs for a company that trusts his judgement enough to allow him to choose the species, turn in original models and paint them. Why? Because he has a reputation for producing top of the line figures and having...yes, integrity. He is not known for recycling sculpts, that is not his calling card. It doesnt matter what they would do if they were working for collecta because I believe either artist would refuse to lower their standards to the level of recycling models just to put something on the market.
Yes Collecta is indeed giving us a whopping fourteen figures this year.....apparently the logic is smother with quantity and forget quality. We are getting three nearly identical, with slight alterations, Spinosaur models...sound familiar? We are getting a recycled ceratopsian......so that somewhat drops the whopping total doesn't it? And even worse, next year when we get another nine whopping brand newly recycled sculpts, I am sure you will see that as nothing to complain about again, since you are willing to accept it now. Of course we can always line them up on the shelf and use them for the power rangers to ride into battle !!!!

I also thought that the Nasuto and the Medusa were retooled sculpts of the Xeno. Again, I'm glad to have been wrong.
Yes really, where did you see me use the term "mould recycling" . Misquoting people is a very bad habbit and causes problems. Make note of my first line......read it carefully please !!There is no "percieved Laziness" involved here...they are recycling dinosaur models from year to year with minor alterations .....notice, minor alterations? I did not say mould recycling. Straw man argument building is where you attribute something similar to what I said, as if I said it and then proceed to attack it.

Shonisaurus

This year is no published photographs of the exhibition in Nuremberg forum.  :-\

Shonisaurus

By the way are to publish the photographs of past Fair Nuremberg 2015 concerning dinosaurs Collecta or there is an impediment for the company Collecta in authorizing such photographs?
It would be interesting to see images smilodon this year.  8)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: