News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

M

Sideshow- new for 2015

Started by Manatee, October 20, 2014, 09:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoLord on December 18, 2014, 01:39:20 AM
I guess I will just have to be patient then.  :-\

Especially with the big pieces, Sideshows are actually a great value despite their expensive reputation. Buying a resin kit of similar size and having it built up/shipped ends up costing around the same amount if not more.

Exactly. Usually it's around twice as much to do so.

ignite444

Ah, if only I had the money for all these guys except for the Triceratops and T-rex. Not a huge fan of Triceratops to begin with and not a fan of that rex statue at all.
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ignite444 on December 18, 2014, 02:07:24 AM
Ah, if only I had the money for all these guys except for the Triceratops and T-rex. Not a huge fan of Triceratops to begin with and not a fan of that rex statue at all.

To each his own. I've been waiting on a Triceratops for quite awhile..the Rex though another T-Rex is different enough and also one of the most accurate sculpts I've seen to date.

ignite444

Not saying that they aren't good because they are, I just don't like Triceratops all that much and the T-rex just doesn't appeal to me. *Shrug*

I know Triceratops couldn't help its evolutionary design, but I just find it so bland looking for some reason. I never really liked it all that much to begin with, even as a kid.

Gwangi

Quote from: ignite444 on December 18, 2014, 02:34:59 AM
Not saying that they aren't good because they are, I just don't like Triceratops all that much and the T-rex just doesn't appeal to me. *Shrug*

I know Triceratops couldn't help its evolutionary design, but I just find it so bland looking for some reason. I never really liked it all that much to begin with, even as a kid.

Triceratops is one of those dinosaurs people take for granted because we've known about it for so long and it's been a pop culture staple since forever but it really is a cool dinosaur. Stegosaurus is another dinosaur taken for granted for the exact same reason. Another cool one there. It would be a different situation if it were described more recently. Now I'll give ya that there are a lot of other ceratopsians with cooler head gear but Triceratops has a couple other things going for it too. 1) It is the largest species of ceratopsian described thus far (IIRC) and 2) It lived right at the end of the Mesozoic, which means it was one of the last non-avian dinosaurs to walk the earth! Taking those factors into account and Triceratops racks up a few more points in the cool factor.

Anyway, just defending my childhood favorite is all. A lot of people are attracted to the newer dinosaurs and forget about the classic overexposed ones but that is exactly why I love the "oldies". First off, nostalgia (you'll get it when you're older) and secondly, accessibility. If your favorite dinosaur is Triceratops you have tons of merchandise to choose from to display your favorite dino, as well as countless films and books and other media dedicated to old three-horned face. Not to mention the tons of scientific papers and fossil specimens regarding the beast. If your favorite dinosaur is Concavenator or Irritator (see what dinosaur I am) or something like that, you're hard pressed to find much that relates to it.

ignite444

Oh I have plenty of nostalgia (I am 25 after all), particularly for T-rex, Apatosaurus, and Stegosaurus. Parasaurolophus and Pteranodon as well.

Like I said, the Triceratops model from Sideshow is nice, Triceratops just isn't my favorite dinosaur is all. Never has been never will be.

Gwangi

Quote from: ignite444 on December 19, 2014, 12:01:06 AM
Oh I have plenty of nostalgia (I am 25 after all), particularly for T-rex, Apatosaurus, and Stegosaurus. Parasaurolophus and Pteranodon as well.

Like I said, the Triceratops model from Sideshow is nice, Triceratops just isn't my favorite dinosaur is all. Never has been never will be.

Ah, for some reason I thought you were younger. I totally get it man, I grew up with Triceratops as my favorite (until JP came out and Velociraptor replaced it) but honestly, there are other horned dinosaurs that appeal more to me these days.

ignite444

Quote from: Gwangi on December 19, 2014, 01:34:51 AM
Quote from: ignite444 on December 19, 2014, 12:01:06 AM

Ah, for some reason I thought you were younger. I totally get it man, I grew up with Triceratops as my favorite (until JP came out and Velociraptor replaced it) but honestly, there are other horned dinosaurs that appeal more to me these days.

My two favorite ceratopsians are Styacosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus. And honestly, JP didn't really influence my favorite dinosaurs, it was the toys I got as a child. XD Other girls got Barbies and dolls, I got animal and dinosaur toys to play with. Heh heh. I hated Barbie though, so no surprise. *Clears throat*

I forgot to mention Diplodocus in my list as well. The first WWD series really made me like it as a kid.

Out of all these new models... I'd probably get the Styracosaurus first. :3 I just wish they didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Gwangi

Those are two of my favorite ceratopsians as well. And I like to think that I liked Pachyrhinosaurus before it was cool!  :D Einiosaurus and Centrosaurus are two favorites as well and I must admit, I'm quite taken with Nasutoceratops.

ignite444

Indeed, the Nasutoceratops (I first read it when I first saw the word as "Narutoceratops", lmao) is a very charming ceratopsian. Hopefully Sideshow will make a model of one in the future.

Lusotitan

These color schemes are all amazing, even by their standards. Although does the Camarasaurus seem a bit elongate?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Lusotitan on December 26, 2014, 02:07:13 AM
These color schemes are all amazing, even by their standards. Although does the Camarasaurus seem a bit elongate?

I think it's just the pose...I think the bright..almost pearlescent blue is the oddest thing...lol  I really wonder if all these complicated color schemes will carry over well into the production pieces.

Arul

I like te previous apato  :D the best coloration is the carnotaurus i think, incredible gradation

tyrantqueen

For those of us in the UK, dinosaurtime.co.uk is stocking the new Sideshows in their store.

http://www.dinosaurtime.co.uk/Shop/Replica-Dinosaur-Models/Dinosauria---Sideshow-Collectibles.html

But there is one caveat. They seem to be way overpriced. The Sideshow mosa sells for $299 on SS's site, but they're offering it for £329 on their site. That converts to $500+ in American dollars. How can that be right? :-\

DinoLord

Ouch, those prices are higher in pounds than they are in USD here in the states.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: DinoLord on January 06, 2015, 12:52:19 AM
Ouch, those prices are higher in pounds than they are in USD here in the states.
Exactly, I think I'll stick to Dan's store.

DinoLord

Even with shipping overseas you'd be saving a bundle.

Paleogene Pals

I take it the Apato is being released this month. Can't wait for that or the Spino!

Concavenator

I'd get the Apatosaurus.Think the Spinosaurus is outdated now.And the  Apatosaurus is a breathtaking sculpt.

DinoLord

The Apatosaurus sculpt is pretty awesome. I still prefer the first paint version of that one. I prefer the new Spinosaurus color scheme to the old one; it's unfortunate that the reissue was announced so shortly before the major Nat Geo press release.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: