You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Scales of Justice - For the Average Diorama Builder

Started by suchomimus, October 30, 2014, 07:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suchomimus

What say we create a list of scales corresponding to the figures we have? Then we could use it a reference sheet!  ;D

This spreadsheet I made could be tested out for editing.

Whatcha think?

Brachiosaurus

Manatee

I added the Carnegie Tylosaurus and Schleich Edmontonia.

Arul

Same thread like i started about months ago :D federeptile reply it, he said stegosaurus and allosaurus from papo  :)) and another member, pachyrhinosaurus said tylosaurus safari ltd with bull shark from safari ltd >  http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=419.msg76056;topicseen#new

DC

Good idea.  I think we are good on the large Carnegie but how about something for the feather dinosaur toob.  We are all short of the small stuff for dioramas and I am always looking for something compatible in the scale. 

thanks
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Halichoeres

Really good idea. For the purposes of dioramas a lot of the Kaiyodo figures work well too. Mine seem to range from approximately life size (Paleozoic arthropods) to ~1:200 scale (sauropods, Shantungosaurus).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

CityRaptor

The Jurassic World blind bags add a nice little Dimorphodon for, fittingly enough, Jurassic Dioramas.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 05, 2015, 08:31:48 PM
The Jurassic World blind bags add a nice little Dimorphodon for, fittingly enough, Jurassic Dioramas.
Eyeballing it, I would guess it's around 1:15 scale, but I have only seen photos. Do you have one in hand that you could use to confirm?

CityRaptor

Sadly not. They are not out in Germany yet ( if they appear at all ) and I'm not gonna pay those scalper prices on ebay and shipping costs to get it.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dinoguy2

This is a great resource! I went through and added a bunch from my collection, but I wanted to mention that I also changed/updated some existing info. Many model length entries seem to have been added as the "catalog length"  rather than the length of the "specimen". For example, the 1996 Carnegie Allosaurus is actually 28.5cm long when measured along the curvature of the neck, back, and tail. This is important to remember because published dinosaur length estimates almost never take nay kind of pose, even neural pose, into account. Instead, they just add up all the vertebrae and skull length as if laid out in a straight line.

The other thing is that I've been entering these based on MAXIMUM known size of the actual animal. This can result in a somewhat small scale for some models, but I figure that can be useful itself since it provides a range of use for diorama makers. For example, the Battat Gallimimus is exactly 1:40 when scaled based on a 6m individual... but 8m individuals are also known. Therefore I entered it in as a tiny 1:60, in case anybody is working in small scales like that, but obviously if you're making a 1:40 diorama anything 1:40 and above would work since animals come in a wide range of sizes, even within the same species.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.