News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Brachios- Kaiyodo or Horizon

Started by tyrantqueen, November 08, 2014, 09:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

I want a 1/20 Brachiosaurus for my collection, but it's really hard to find one that is accurate and well sculpted.

I've been considering both the Kaiyodo Brachio and the Horizon Brachio. The Kaiyodo is rare and will probably cost me a kidney to purchase, but it is undeniably magnificent. As for the Horizon, I usually avoid anything with the JP brand name attached, but it is easier to find and probably somewhat cheaper.

I know both kits are outdated and inaccurate, but which one is the more accurate of the two? Or, should I say, the least inaccurate?

I have been considering modifying the Horizon Brachiosaurus, but I'm a little unsure of what needs to be changed. Any ideas?

DinoLord

Both are closer in proportions to Giraffatitan and Brachiosaurus. On the Horizon kit the main thing you'd have to modify is the front feet. The Horizon kit costs around 1/4 as much as the Kaiyodo one.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 08, 2014, 09:19:24 PM
I want a 1/20 Brachiosaurus for my collection, but it's really hard to find one that is accurate and well sculpted.

I've been considering both the Kaiyodo Brachio and the Horizon Brachio. The Kaiyodo is rare and will probably cost me a kidney to purchase, but it is undeniably magnificent. As for the Horizon, I usually avoid anything with the JP brand name attached, but it is easier to find and probably somewhat cheaper.

I know both kits are outdated and inaccurate, but which one is the more accurate of the two? Or, should I say, the least inaccurate?

I have been considering modifying the Horizon Brachiosaurus, but I'm a little unsure of what needs to be changed. Any ideas?

I do not own a Dinoland for reference but I do have the Horizon. I have seen pictures of the Kaiyodo however and in my opinion both kits would hold up well other than the neck....and in both it is a mess. The horizon is Almost perfectly vertical whereas the Dinoland has a snake like bend in it...and also goes vertical far more than is now being suggested as likely....either one would need a neck that exits the trunk more at an angle in  line with the updated Carnegie model.....rather than vertically as is shown in the two models
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Thanks guys for the info.

What about the nostril position on the Horizon? Are they correct?

Maybe it would just be easier to sculpt my own Brachio.

Quoteeither one would need a neck that exits the trunk more at an angle in  line with the updated Carnegie model

Does Scott Hartman's skeletal get it right?

postsaurischian

After I've seen Simon's alternation, I say: Dinoland, definitely :)!

DinoLord

The nostril position on the Horizon is the older on the crest position, but I imagine this would be the case for the Kaiyodo one too.

dinoking

Kaiyodo 1/20 scale Brachiousaurus available on Ebay. Low starting bid!!!!!!

tyrantqueen

Still hoping one day for that Dinoland Brachio to get rereleased just like the Tyrannosaurus and Allosaurus did. It would save me the agony of the bidding war.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 11, 2014, 05:28:25 AM
Still hoping one day for that Dinoland Brachio to get rereleased just like the Tyrannosaurus and Allosaurus did. It would save me the agony of the bidding war.

I had hoped it would be a trend myself..but it seems not. Haven't heard of one new one since.

DinoLord

I too was hoping for that. Reissues have been popular lately (even with the Japanese companies) so hopefully we'll see this.

triceratops83

This sounds like a job for Shane Foulkes. That'd be awesome.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 11, 2014, 03:42:39 PM
This sounds like a job for Shane Foulkes. That'd be awesome.

Shane would be the logical choice to pull off a  beast of 1:15 Brachiosaurus.

triceratops83

Damn straight! Better not be for a while, though - I'm still saving for the Psittacosaurus.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 12, 2014, 05:02:08 AM
Damn straight! Better not be for a while, though - I'm still saving for the Psittacosaurus.

You know he's running a 15% off sale right now that ends later today?

triceratops83

Yeah, but still need more time to save. I always buy through Dan's Dinosaurs anyway. I don't mind paying full price for Shane's sculpts, I love 'em. The irresponsible part of my brain would get them all if it got into my savings account >:D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 12, 2014, 01:13:01 PM
Yeah, but still need more time to save. I always buy through Dan's Dinosaurs anyway. I don't mind paying full price for Shane's sculpts, I love 'em. The irresponsible part of my brain would get them all if it got into my savings account >:D

I know what you mean..this sale is so temping to me each year. I've been saving for the build/paint fees for the Hypacrosaurus..and the 1:1 Stego head is tempting too...especially since we are looking to add one to the Park next. So do I splurge now or wait it out? lol

triceratops83

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 13, 2014, 08:10:37 AM
1:1 Stego head? Uh oh....

yep..like his juvenile wasn't tempting enough..lol

Daspletodave

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 08, 2014, 10:05:31 PM
Thanks guys for the info.

What about the nostril position on the Horizon? Are they correct?

Maybe it would just be easier to sculpt my own Brachio.

Quoteeither one would need a neck that exits the trunk more at an angle in  line with the updated Carnegie model

Does Scott Hartman's skeletal get it right?
After  seeing these skeletal drawings I can see no real differences between them. Brachiosaurus rules! Giraffatitan is a FAKE!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: