News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Boston Museum of Science -> SAVE CLIFF the Triceratops

Started by 0thebigwytec5, January 14, 2015, 06:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0thebigwytec5

Hi guys,

I got an email from the Boston Museum of Science telling me that Cliff the Triceratops might be leaving the museum. The museum has the opportunity to keep Cliff if they can raise $850,000 by June 30th. I am unsure if that is a reasonable goal, but I know that I will be pledging some support.

Each time I go to the museum (which is about once a month), Cliff is the first exhibit that I visit.

I thought that I would post it here in case anyone else can offer some support.

http://www.mos.org/keepcliff?_bta_tid=3.dTM.B5IDFw.Ffmy.ATzbxg..AojHVg.b..s.Agd4.b.VLWVcQ.VLWVcQ.uQsALQ&_bta_c=9vt2qk2od67qcuhs19koj5zas2m8g

Edit: Thought I should add some pics that I took of Cliff :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's an awesome looking mount! Whew a lot to raise though..hopefully a generous benefactor will step in with the brunt of it. It's a shame museums can't get more funding than sports teams. :/

stargatedalek

Its the sad truth of reality that a lot of countries don't make as much money as sports teams do :(

A very impressive looking mount for sure, I hope they can reach their goal.

Georassic

BMOS has had funding issues in the past several years, I've heard.

triceratops83

What happens to him - a private buyer? Or does he go back to a museum in North Dakota? I don't know how these things work. And yes, I detest the fact that museums don't get enough funding, but meat heads can get paid millions of dollars to play with balls.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

0thebigwytec5

The way that I understood it when the museum first got Cliff, was that an anonymous benefactor had bought Cliff and donated it to the museum. Apparently that wasn't the case as they are now saying that the benefactor was just loaning Cliff to the museum.

Man, I hope that some rich person will donate most of the money. I'd love for Cliff to stay in Boston. Without Cliff, their dinosaur section is a bit weak, but we still have the life size T-Rex made by Dan LoRusso :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: 0thebigwytec5 on January 15, 2015, 07:34:04 PM
The way that I understood it when the museum first got Cliff, was that an anonymous benefactor had bought Cliff and donated it to the museum. Apparently that wasn't the case as they are now saying that the benefactor was just loaning Cliff to the museum.

Man, I hope that some rich person will donate most of the money. I'd love for Cliff to stay in Boston. Without Cliff, their dinosaur section is a bit weak, but we still have the life size T-Rex made by Dan LoRusso :)

Would be great if Dan could sculpt them a 1:1 Triceratops to go with Chad...just tossing it out there.

Derek.McManus

It is a very impressive mount...my six year old son Aaron would love it...triceratops is his favourite dinosaur...he has three already. There is a composite mount from two individuals on display in Belfast museum which I took him to see and he recognised it straight away.

I hope that Cliff can be saved.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

0thebigwytec5

Just a bit of an update.

I was at the museum today and it is not looking good for Cliff. To date, it looks like the museum has only been able to raise about $350,000. Unfortunately, that is not even half of what needs to be raised. The deadline to come up with the $850,000 is June 30th. I really hope that some rich people will donate the money...I really don't want to see Cliff leave :/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Maybe with the funds raised they can get a cast of it?

Mamasaurus

A lovely mount, and a real shame that the museum is having trouble obtaining the funds to keep him.  Blade does have an excellent point though. Perhaps they can purchase a cast replica of a triceratops. It's not the same, but it would be far better than not having one there.

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Sometimes you have to make do with what you have.

Taylor Made sells a Trike cast for 75-80,000.  http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/dinosaurs_triceratops.html

I mentioned it before but it would also be cool to have a full sized fleshed out one to pair with Chad. hint, Dan, hint. :)

0thebigwytec5

Yeah, I am really unsure of what the museum plans on doing if they cannot raise the funds to keep Cliff.

In other news, I thought I would post this pic of Dan's T-Rex (and you can see Cliff behind him). I can't believe they gave him a number to run the Boston Marathon:

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hey he can certainly out run them..right? If not he snack until he gets there..talk about inspiration to MOVE! lol

Tyto_Theropod

UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

laticauda

People like to wait to the last minute to donate, not to be overly opportunistic , but I'm sure that Cliff will stay. 

0thebigwytec5

Got another email from the museum today, letting me know that they have raised a little more than half of the money for Cliff (about $444,000).

They have about another month to raise the rest.

*crossing fingers*

http://www.mos.org/keepcliff

Derek.McManus

I hope the fund raising for Cliff is going well!

Brachiosaurus

Quote from: Derek.McManus on June 14, 2015, 12:58:36 PM
I hope the fund raising for Cliff is going well!

They are keeping him, but even with him the dinosaur area is abysmal, it has only three skeletons, cliff, another triceratops, a model of a compsognathus skeleton, and a skull of Tyranosaurus and giganontosaurus, and the trex model and 2 nyktosaurus models

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: