News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lookin' Forward to Meeting Everyone

Started by Mamasaurus, January 17, 2015, 06:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mamasaurus

Just a little "Hey y'all!" from Texas.   ;)

I found this forum a while back, and after about a month of lurking I've decided to come out of the shadows and officially join the ranks. 

Naturally my enthusiasm for prehistoric life, desire to find accurate toys and books for my kids, and the fun in having a group of people to talk about prehistoric critters (instead of boring my very patient husband), were all big influences in my decision to join.  But I also have another, bigger reason to come out of the shadows instead of just perusing everyone's delightful posts.

I'm working on a series of children's books with the tentative name of "Pete's Paleo Petshop".  The idea is that each book will explore different periods in earth's history (i.e. Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous), and the kid in the book will get to see various critters from the time (not just dinosaurs) and choose one as a pet.  I am only an amateur when it comes to paleontology, and even though the illustrations will be stylized and "cute", my primary concern is accuracy.

Hopefully that sort of thing is ok to discuss on this website.  I am really looking forward to meeting everyone, and I hope you would be willing to help me on this project of mine.   :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Libraraptor

Welcome! You really do belong here, that sort of thing is not just ok to discuss here, it´s even  a much needed gap.  I wonder if there´s still a market for childrens´ books on dinosaurs in the US, yet I wish you good luck and am quite curious about seeing your work here. Have a look around, and you´ll find lots of people meeting your interests! The first one was me!

DinoLord

Welcome! We love discussing accuracy on here and I'm sure many would be glad to provide you feedback on your project.

DinoToyForum

Welcome Mamasaurus! Your questions about accuracy will be most welcome here!  :D

Mamasaurus

Thank you!  Now I'm even more excited about my project, and it's so good to know I have a place to turn for the latest research.  I don't have much experience outside of the small dinosaur window I grew up with, so I'm looking forward to finding out more about all the other amazing prehistoric creatures.   :)

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 17, 2015, 06:55:12 PM
I wonder if there´s still a market for childrens´ books on dinosaurs in the US, yet I wish you good luck and am quite curious about seeing your work here.

The lagging interest in prehistoric life is partly what inspired me in the first place.  I've looked around, and there are a few books out there, but they are primarily to appeal to a fanciful 3-year-olds budding imagination.  That in and of itself is not a bad thing at all, but accuracy suffers, and the dinosaurs are usually just as fanciful as dragons and other mythical beasties.  It would be wonderful to have a dinosaur book (or series!) for children that not only has all the things a picture book needs, but is also as accurate as possible.  Bonus if it's enjoyable and interesting for parents to read!  Maybe if people see how truly amazing these animals are, then they would appreciate them as much as modern day wildlife, instead of tossing them into the same pile as dragons and unicorns.

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Arul

Welcome to the forum  :) greetings from indonesia  :D

Tallin

Hello!

If you're wondering about accurate dino books that are interesting to kids too, this one is great! :

Also I wish you best of luck on your project!

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

triceratops83

Hi! I'm sure ideas about your books will open up many interesting discussions!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.