News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Too bad it wasn't more unique. Though if that is an articulated jaw there, then that might redeem it enough for me at least.

Considering there's this now, the Titanoboa, and the Deinosuchus, I feel like one could use these as stand in's to have a three way battle between Jaws, Anaconda, and the Lake Placid croc, which is ridiculous I know, but it would have been the kind of thing I would have had fun with as a kid. That is assuming any of these are released anytime soon.

I too am disappointed about no word about the supposed herbivores for this year (Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus War Pig, Triceratops King Trident), beyond "later". I was really looking forward to War Pig at the very least.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

BlueKrono

Quote from: Faelrin on August 24, 2017, 05:10:43 PM
Too bad it wasn't more unique. Though if that is an articulated jaw there, then that might redeem it enough for me at least.

Considering there's this now, the Titanoboa, and the Deinosuchus, I feel like one could use these as stand in's to have a three way battle between Jaws, Anaconda, and the Lake Placid croc, which is ridiculous I know, but it would have been the kind of thing I would have had fun with as a kid. That is assuming any of these are released anytime soon.

I too am disappointed about no word about the supposed herbivores for this year (Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus War Pig, Triceratops King Trident), beyond "later". I was really looking forward to War Pig at the very least.

I really wanted to see Lake Placid as a kid, but I couldn't cuz it was rated R.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Flaffy

Oh look a giant great white.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Rain

The reason it looks like a great white, is because it is a great white. Rebor clarified it isn't a megladon.

Faelrin

It turns out it actually is a Great White Shark. Not a Megalodon. I'm still down for that, since that is my favorite extant shark, aside from Hammerhead, Tiger, and Whale Sharks. Apparently it'll be in both 1/18th scale and 1/35th scale, and the 1/18th scale version will have accessories for 3.75 action figures, which explains the boat. Seems like it is a Jaws tribute pack sort of thing.

According to this post: https://www.facebook.com/reborstudio/posts/1293743090752696
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

And now are doing modern animals...sigh

I do find funny that they say in their post that we will not be seeing this until next year. Because they always tease their products and then we never know anything about them until a year after its reveal. But with their lack of organization in regards to announcement and release of their products it is not surprising. Honestly, it is so difficutl to do it right? Announce a product. Then release it. After that do the same steps in the same order. Announce, tease, announce tease and then release something completely different is not the best way in my opinion.

ZoPteryx

It would be cool if the jaws articulated like a real shark, with the teeth protruding all.  I'm not a huge fan of the skin texture though, looks like desiccated dried shark skin.

Reptilia

Quote from: MLMjp on August 24, 2017, 08:03:01 PM
I do find funny that they say in their post that we will not be seeing this until next year. Because they always tease their products and then we never know anything about them until a year after its reveal. But with their lack of organization in regards to announcement and release of their products it is not surprising. Honestly, it is so difficutl to do it right? Announce a product. Then release it. After that do the same steps in the same order. Announce, tease, announce tease and then release something completely different is not the best way in my opinion.

Totally agree. I find their lack of organization and incapability to keep even a basic schedule absolutely irritating. As for the shark, ok, they never said they do exclusively prehistoric figures, but there's so much to pick up among extinct animals that I find starting with extants unnecessary at this point. As we were discussing before in the thread, they mentioned a lot of things, I sincerely don't need a shark from Rebor, but rather an Allosaurus, a Spinosaurus, or whatever else. And then the boat and the accessories, leave that stuff to toy companies and focus on the quality of the figure instead.

joossa

As a reminder, the first post of each thread contains all product info and photos as they are revealed by Rebor. They are updated on a regular basis.

I won't be making a thread for the Great White since it's an extant animal. However, I can if you guys would like me to and if the mods allow it. Just let me know. Might be better on the Animal Toy Forum.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Shonisaurus

To make sharks or modern animals I prefer to see them in a television documentary. Honestly, I am only interested in extinct animals, not animal figures that fortunately for the moment exist today.

The said should be these figures in animal toy forum.  :(

Reptilia

Just read back the Facebook post where they say it is a common shark. The boat will be blood-soaked, and there will be a life ring. But what for? They say it'll be perfect for 3.75" figures. What figures are they talking about, G.I. Joes? Sounds like they are trying to appeal a lower age audience with such things, without having a proper distributon in physical stores, or even a website of their own.

tanystropheus

Well, we can always add speculative features (e.g. antennas) and then call it a Megalodon.  I think I will be skipping this one as I already have the excellent PNSO version.

But, this is still a very good JAWS stand in. I like how they cleverly bypassed the movie license....I mean it's just a shark, right  ;)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Reptilia on August 25, 2017, 02:35:48 PM
Just read back the Facebook post where they say it is a common shark. The boat will be blood-soaked, and there will be a life ring. But what for? They say it'll be perfect for 3.75" figures. What figures are they talking about, G.I. Joes? Sounds like they are trying to appeal a lower age audience with such things, without having a proper distributon in physical stores, or even a website of their own.
There are a lot more Joe collectors than dinosaur collectors. Like imagine a difference of a few thousand compared to tens of thousands.

Ditto on film memorabilia, even unofficial stuff like REBOR.

CityRaptor

Isn't G.I. Joe kinda dead? From what I've seen in Transformers comics, they are also hilariously incompetent, unless it comes to being a nuisance.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 25, 2017, 04:57:08 PM
Isn't G.I. Joe kinda dead? From what I've seen in Transformers comics, they are also hilariously incompetent, unless it comes to being a nuisance.
As a film franchise it's pretty dead, but it's a cult classic. I don't have any interest in them, but people need to be careful they don't just assume the things they like are what's omnipresent.

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 24, 2017, 04:38:47 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 23, 2017, 11:49:10 PM
I think megalodon is pretty likely, too. It fits the rubric of Titanoboa, which is, completely unremarkable except for being really really big. (Not to say that boids and sharks are unremarkable in themselves, but for prehistoric animals I prefer things that aren't just larger versions of extant creatures.)
The real shame is that Titanoboa is a lot more interesting than just a giant boa but even documentaries have only done it a disservice. It lived in salt water (marshes), ate either fish or very small prey, and has a very boxy, almost sea snake/cobra-like head (based on the descriptions from the paper about its diet, references for the actual skull material seem to be under tight wraps[?]). But nope, gotta reconstruct it as a giant anaconda (not even a boa..).

Anacondas are boas...

suspsy

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 25, 2017, 04:57:08 PM

As a franchise, yes, GI Joe is practically dead in the water. There's no toyline, no cartoon, and certainly no more movies. The characters are currently appearing in IDW comics as you noted, but only in support of the Transformers series. I have no interest in that particular story arc, not while there's far superior Transformer tales to be told in the Lost Light series.

But as stargate noted, GI Joe will always retain a hardcore fanbase.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on August 27, 2017, 01:29:40 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 24, 2017, 04:38:47 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 23, 2017, 11:49:10 PM
I think megalodon is pretty likely, too. It fits the rubric of Titanoboa, which is, completely unremarkable except for being really really big. (Not to say that boids and sharks are unremarkable in themselves, but for prehistoric animals I prefer things that aren't just larger versions of extant creatures.)
The real shame is that Titanoboa is a lot more interesting than just a giant boa but even documentaries have only done it a disservice. It lived in salt water (marshes), ate either fish or very small prey, and has a very boxy, almost sea snake/cobra-like head (based on the descriptions from the paper about its diet, references for the actual skull material seem to be under tight wraps[?]). But nope, gotta reconstruct it as a giant anaconda (not even a boa..).

Anacondas are boas...
Whoops. For some reason I was under the impression they were neither boas nor pythons. My bad.

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 27, 2017, 10:19:28 PM
Whoops. For some reason I was under the impression they were neither boas nor pythons. My bad.

Before I became an adult, I also thought anacondas weren't boas or pythons.  My guess is this had to do with never seeing them called "boas".  So I was surprised when I found out anacondas are actually a kind of boa.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: