News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I'm sure I'll get yelled at for saying this, but those textures are horrendous.

Kapitaenosavrvs

*yells at avatar_Loon @Loon*

Of course not.

I like the Idea of avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO  and this Product. The Picture is clearly a Render with a high Contrast, so the real deal will look a bit different. Moreover im fine with it. I really think, that this is a fine Addition and Retrosaurs aren't that common as a new Product. Also the Mix of Retro and Modern is quite a Thing i like. I thought about it the first time, when i saw the Papo Giga. I'm trying to be positive. Lookin forward to it. These are not supposed to look like a real Animal. We all know that. I think it is complicated to criticise a Product at this Stage, but it is completely okay to do so. I do that myself often enough. But i do not have somekind of a personal war with a small company. I hope this does not sound agressive. It is not meant to be negative.

I just do not see the horrendous Textures. There is ALOT of Texture, but to me its good that way. In this Case.

Shonisaurus

I like Rebor's "retro" dinosaur prototypes - they remind me of my childhood days, when reconstructions in paleontology books were like this. Long live Rebor !!!!

Justin_

Quote from: Loon on September 16, 2020, 12:40:51 AM

I think the textures are too finely detailed. They look a bit like chain mail. I'd expect these to have larger scales and scutes all over, like on the "Allosaurus'" head. The overall shapes are really nice though.

Over9K

Quote from: Justin_ on September 16, 2020, 01:47:11 PM

I think the textures are too finely detailed. They look a bit like chain mail. I'd expect these to have larger scales and scutes all over, like on the "Allosaurus'" head. The overall shapes are really nice though.

Those are two Tyrannosaurus... when Knight painted the first painting of Tyrannosaurus, the complete arms of a Tyrannosaurid had not yet been collected, so T.rex was given three-fingered hands. You can see this in representations of the animal from Disney's Fantasia, King Kong (1933) and as late as The Valley Of Gwangi, featuring a three-fingered T.rex, despite the then-current science understanding the animal had two-fingered hands.

Carnoking

I though gwangi was meant to be an allosaurus.

Over9K

Quote from: Carnoking on September 17, 2020, 03:46:09 PM
I though gwangi was meant to be an allosaurus.

No, Gwangi was based on that same Charles R. Knight painting Rebor took the blue Retro from, the same painting that Marcel Delgado had also used as inspiration for the '33 King Kong T.rex. It's true that Willis O'Brien, who originally wrote and conceived the Gwangi story referred to the dinosaur as an Allosaurus, but famously, he referred to the T.rex in Kong the same way.

Harryhausen has always referred to Gwangi as a T.rex.

Over9K

I think it's funny that nobody has noticed that on the Blue Retro, the eye is in the wrong fenestra, just as Knight painted it.

triceratops83

Quote from: Over9K on September 17, 2020, 03:53:41 AM
Quote from: Justin_ on September 16, 2020, 01:47:11 PM

Those are two Tyrannosaurus... when Knight painted the first painting of Tyrannosaurus, the complete arms of a Tyrannosaurid had not yet been collected, so T.rex was given three-fingered hands. You can see this in representations of the animal from Disney's Fantasia, King Kong (1933) and as late as The Valley Of Gwangi, featuring a three-fingered T.rex, despite the then-current science understanding the animal had two-fingered hands.

I remember an interview with Harryhausen in which he doesn't see a distinction between Allosaurus and Tyrannosaurus other than one being a bit larger than the other.

Quote from: Over9K on September 15, 2020, 10:37:36 PM

I must say I'm absolutely drooling over these two offerings from Rebor. Retro Tripod theropods always seemed to be more menacing than their more accurate renderings even though they would probably find it harder to catch you what with their need to awkwardly bend over to deliver a fatal mauling.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Carnoking

Aw, that explains where my confusion comes from them.

Faelrin

So apparently today is Rebor's 6th anniversary. They are doing a giveaway on their FB. Thought I would share.

Also in regard to the retro rex figures, the red one interests me more, mostly as I would have prefer a more faithful body sculpt for the blue one.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

The two REBOR 1:35 Male Tyrannosaurus Rex Kadaver "Bites the Dust" variants in their two variants are now available at everythingdinosaur.

Carnoking

Not sure if it's been discussed here yet, but someone recently commented on Rebor's post promising the G&G rexes asking if they would consider doing a Sauron variant.

To which Rebor responded:

Looks like we're getting Sauron!
(Probably in a  couple years if it doesn't get canceled that is, but exciting nonetheless!)

Over9K

BlueKrono

Quote from: Carnoking on September 21, 2020, 12:05:18 AM
Not sure if it's been discussed here yet, but someone recently commented on Rebor's post promising the G&G rexes asking if they would consider doing a Sauron variant.

To which Rebor responded:

Looks like we're getting Sauron!
(Probably in a  couple years if it doesn't get canceled that is, but exciting nonetheless!)

Let me know when they do a Vertigo!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Faelrin

Glad to see there's going to be a Sauron after all, though of course I would also love to see some tribute to Diablo as well, one of my favorites when I played this game as a kid (aside from Talon).

Strange how with all the options that rex could have been, it didn't even cross my mind when it should have been obvious, again considering that they did one based off Blizzard and a lot of people have been requesting Sauron. The head sculpt is pretty close too (although I think it resembles the toy slightly more then then the in game version, but well they did call it an 80's toy rex so maybe that was their intention too).

Edit: Come to think of it though the game and toys did come out in the early 90s, while they called it an 80s rex so probably another reason it slipped my mind. Granted the stop motion models were intentionally designed to be retro in some retrospect so perhaps it's still an 80s styled rex in that sense.

Edit 2: No sooner then I go and post this and I find on their FB that this particular sculpt wasn't based on anything in particular, but also several things. Here's a quote from them from one of their comments:

QuoteNothing yet everything. There isn't a specific reference material as it was designed by ourselves based on our childhood memories. It captures the essence of the 80s which is why you felt that you've seen it somewhere but you can't quite put your finger on it

https://www.facebook.com/reborstudio/photos/a.555152224611790/3120411288085858/?type=3&theater

I saw someone also mention that it looked a bit like the Invicta T. rex, and yeah that one didn't cross my mind either, but I can see why they thought that.

suspsy

Sauron would indeed be pretty cool, especially if they did the colour variants. I always selected the purple and black version whenever I played that game.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on September 21, 2020, 02:37:37 AM
Glad to see there's going to be a Sauron after all, though of course I would also love to see some tribute to Diablo as well, one of my favorites when I played this game as a kid (aside from Talon).

Strange how with all the options that rex could have been, it didn't even cross my mind when it should have been obvious, again considering that they did one based off Blizzard and a lot of people have been requesting Sauron. The head sculpt is pretty close too (although I think it resembles the toy slightly more then then the in game version, but well they did call it an 80's toy rex so maybe that was their intention too).

Edit: Come to think of it though the game and toys did come out in the early 90s, while they called it an 80s rex so probably another reason it slipped my mind. Granted the stop motion models were intentionally designed to be retro in some retrospect so perhaps it's still an 80s styled rex in that sense.

Edit 2: No sooner then I go and post this and I find on their FB that this particular sculpt wasn't based on anything in particular, but also several things. Here's a quote from them from one of their comments:

QuoteNothing yet everything. There isn't a specific reference material as it was designed by ourselves based on our childhood memories. It captures the essence of the 80s which is why you felt that you've seen it somewhere but you can't quite put your finger on it

https://www.facebook.com/reborstudio/photos/a.555152224611790/3120411288085858/?type=3&theater

I saw someone also mention that it looked a bit like the Invicta T. rex, and yeah that one didn't cross my mind either, but I can see why they thought that.

I thought Invicta when  I saw it. Also the early red colored Kokoro/Dinamation Rex.

Faelrin

New color variant of Titanoboa going up for pre-order on Friday. Edit: Color scheme definitely looks based on the snake from the Anaconda movie.

triceratops83

Dead rexes just turned up at Minzoo

https://www.minizoo.com.au/rebor/standard-collection/

EDIT - just noticed the new Monty Python reference on that Titanoboa. I think they still should have used "Biggus" though. Seems apt for a giant snake.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: