News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Quote from: Over9K on April 23, 2023, 07:41:34 PMIs this the first mass-produced Carcharodontid figure available with lippage?
GR Toys/Haalongood has a lipped Carcharodontosaurus. Probably the best static therapod with lips figure on the market at the moment.

SidB

Looks like Rebor is on the way to carving out a new place for itself in the market. Very astute.

Flaffy

I don't see the appeal in the sunken in temporal fenestra.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on April 24, 2023, 11:54:10 PMI don't see the appeal in the sunken in temporal fenestra.
Good point , that's a regressive step.

Blade-of-the-Moon

They did a lipless version too..looks pretty familiar...

Rain

Well that fixes the shrink wrapping a little bit but it's looking a bit too over-textured. Hopefully some of the detail is lost in the printing process, 'Kiss' and 'Tusk' turned out okay.

Also, lipless theropods look so goofy.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Thialfi on April 23, 2023, 02:31:08 PM

is it just me or does even with lips it looks more like the Jurassic world giganotosaurus than a real giganotosaurus. the lipless one def has that visual atleast for now

Lynx

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 26, 2023, 01:26:40 PMis it just me or does even with lips it looks more like the Jurassic world giganotosaurus than a real giganotosaurus. the lipless one def has that visual atleast for now

I don't see the resemblance. Other than spines, which are mild compared to the movie, it just looks like its own thing. Super accurate? No. But with the exception of the unlipped model, I see 0 resemblances other than mild shrink wrapping, which I doubt will be present when the detailing comes in.
An oversized house cat.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Lynx on April 26, 2023, 01:31:12 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 26, 2023, 01:26:40 PMis it just me or does even with lips it looks more like the Jurassic world giganotosaurus than a real giganotosaurus. the lipless one def has that visual atleast for now

I don't see the resemblance. Other than spines, which are mild compared to the movie, it just looks like its own thing. Super accurate? No. But with the exception of the unlipped model, I see 0 resemblances other than mild shrink wrapping, which I doubt will be present when the detailing comes in.

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/342858829_1427087164730847_3790845470764376448_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=1Zw_pHioQX8AX_RctX-&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.xx&oh=00_AfA_wJD9Hv5Uk4G-fDaLk4CdDEsbNgnFToyIcHowqdm8Iw&oe=644D038A

heres the jw giga
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/002/326/138/fbe.jpeg

its more, the spiked head, shrinkwrapping in a very particular way, the snake eyes and form / placement. the lipless one truly has the vibes of movie Giga. not criticism necessarely but pnso showed u can make it realistic and veeery diff from the movie one.

Lynx

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 26, 2023, 02:45:40 PM

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/342858829_1427087164730847_3790845470764376448_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=1Zw_pHioQX8AX_RctX-&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.xx&oh=00_AfA_wJD9Hv5Uk4G-fDaLk4CdDEsbNgnFToyIcHowqdm8Iw&oe=644D038A

heres the jw giga

its more, the spiked head, shrinkwrapping in a very particular way, the snake eyes and form / placement. the lipless one truly has the vibes of movie Giga. not criticism necessarely but pnso showed u can make it realistic and veeery diff from the movie one.

Yes but this isn't PNSO. IMO companies should be able to make models they want to regardless of accuracy or resemblance. The things you pointed out, like the eye placement, is something that's on every model, the eye placement doesn't change. The shrink wrapping is also just, well, shrink wrapping. There is inspiration, but resemblance beyond the eyes and spikes is minimal
An oversized house cat.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Lynx on April 26, 2023, 02:49:21 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 26, 2023, 02:45:40 PM

heres the jw giga

Yes but this isn't PNSO. IMO companies should be able to make models they want to regardless of accuracy or resemblance. The things you pointed out, like the eye placement, is something that's on every model, the eye placement doesn't change. The shrink wrapping is also just, well, shrink wrapping. There is inspiration, but resemblance beyond the eyes and spikes is minimal

i never said it has to be like pnso , heck i didnt even said its a bad thing its similar or gives me JW vibes. but its also dishonest to admit there clearly are similaritys like the spikes, head , snake eyes ( again to stress those even by accuracy arent needed and clearly inspired by the JW giga like not even debatable as other models except this one dont use this specific slit snake eye) , and the " grin" it shows inspiration as you said and thats all i meant.

other gigas who look nothing like JW giga: Vitaes, pnsos, eofaunas, nanmus behemoth, even papos, safaris and collectas

Bread

Have to agree with avatar_TheImmortalEye @TheImmortalEye here.

The resemblance to the JW Giga is noticeably apparent. As TheImmortalEye said, it's mainly due to the excessive spikes and crest of the model.

I definitely favor the lipped variant as I find the JW Giga unappealing. Let alone this lipless version has a few similarities to it too.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Bread on April 26, 2023, 03:36:00 PMHave to agree with avatar_TheImmortalEye @TheImmortalEye here.

The resemblance to the JW Giga is noticeably apparent. As TheImmortalEye said, it's mainly due to the excessive spikes and crest of the model.

I definitely favor the lipped variant as I find the JW Giga unappealing. Let alone this lipless version has a few similarities to it too.

yes mate u wouldnt be alone, the JW giga was a weird designchoice. from its indominus rex like teeth to the shrinkwrapping spikiness. also doesnt help its in JW dominion of all movies, and in there basicly at the end XD

Lynx

I just don't see it at all.
An oversized house cat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

After seeing the JW Giga in so much media it's going to keep getting referenced and inevitably compared to every other Giga made.  They did use a skull and skeleton in the making of the JW one so it did have a scientific base at least and possibly why more realistic, simplistic Giga reconstructions look like it.

I like where Rebor is going with the lipped version as I have two really nice JW Gigas in my collection and will have 5 by the time all my preorders come in over the years. So I'm pretty full up on them unless Mattel makes a Hammond Collection version.

Giganotosaurus is quickly becoming the "Spinosaurus" in terms of production pieces by the various companies. I have really enough of them and it would take something truly exciting to knock any of my current ones off their pedestal.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 26, 2023, 03:49:12 PMAfter seeing the JW Giga in so much media it's going to keep getting referenced and inevitably compared to every other Giga made.  They did use a skull and skeleton in the making of the JW one so it did have a scientific base at least and possibly why more realistic, simplistic Giga reconstructions look like it.

I like where Rebor is going with the lipped version as I have two really nice JW Gigas in my collection and will have 5 by the time all my preorders come in over the years. So I'm pretty full up on them unless Mattel makes a Hammond Collection version.

Giganotosaurus is quickly becoming the "Spinosaurus" in terms of production pieces by the various companies. I have really enough of them and it would take something truly exciting to knock any of my current ones off their pedestal.

its a good point and ofc they used the " skull" ( gigas skull is fragmentary and filled in already by either old version allosaurus and now meraxes gigas)
the JW used an older more elongated reconstruction , but way more importantly its artistic licenses, its spikyness , crest,indominus like teeth and especially those specific snake like slit eyes that suppose to make it more "evil " looking as its the JW dominion  villain dinosaur, is a specific detail almost no other "accurate" model holds, nor is it rly defendable as giga is most likely a day or crepescular hunter, slit eyes are mostly for nocturnal behaviors, also birdlike eyes are way more likely in basicly all scenarios, which just means rounded with pupils

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: SenSx on April 23, 2023, 04:59:36 PMOh ok I don't need to buy the expensive PNSO Giga anymore

depending on country rebor is more expensive usually

need4swede

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 26, 2023, 03:49:12 PMGiganotosaurus is quickly becoming the "Spinosaurus" in terms of production pieces by the various companies.

That's a great point.Curious to see how this changes the landscape for the Spino, as I've always thought JP's exposure has turned the animal into somewhat of a villain of sorts. If the Giga is the new 'Big, Bad Dinosaur' on the block, I wonder if the Spino has enough wiggle room to escape being depicted solely as a monster. I know it's common to depict theropods as baddies, but I always felt like the Spino ventured into monster territory in ways that the TRex never did - and perhaps the Giga will finally allow it to retire from that role.
- Swede

BlueKrono

Quote from: need4swede on April 28, 2023, 01:55:50 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 26, 2023, 03:49:12 PMGiganotosaurus is quickly becoming the "Spinosaurus" in terms of production pieces by the various companies.

That's a great point.Curious to see how this changes the landscape for the Spino, as I've always thought JP's exposure has turned the animal into somewhat of a villain of sorts. If the Giga is the new 'Big, Bad Dinosaur' on the block, I wonder if the Spino has enough wiggle room to escape being depicted solely as a monster. I know it's common to depict theropods as baddies, but I always felt like the Spino ventured into monster territory in ways that the TRex never did - and perhaps the Giga will finally allow it to retire from that role.

Retire? That's like wondering if Bela Lugosi will stop being forever associated with his monster roles. Uh... No? Spinosaurus will always be a predator and a strange-looking one at that, so I doubt they'll be anything but monstrous on film.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 27, 2023, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 26, 2023, 03:49:12 PMAfter seeing the JW Giga in so much media it's going to keep getting referenced and inevitably compared to every other Giga made.  They did use a skull and skeleton in the making of the JW one so it did have a scientific base at least and possibly why more realistic, simplistic Giga reconstructions look like it.

its a good point and ofc they used the " skull" ( gigas skull is fragmentary and filled in already by either old version allosaurus and now meraxes gigas)
the JW used an older more elongated reconstruction , but way more importantly its artistic licenses, its spikyness , crest,indominus like teeth and especially those specific snake like slit eyes that suppose to make it more "evil " looking as its the JW dominion  villain dinosaur, is a specific detail almost no other "accurate" model holds, nor is it rly defendable as giga is most likely a day or crepescular hunter, slit eyes are mostly for nocturnal behaviors, also birdlike eyes are way more likely in basicly all scenarios, which just means rounded with pupils

Artistic license is important for a company to trademark a design. That said I also like to see different interpretations and styles. How boring our collections would be if only one artist created a reconstruction from only the material left.  There are daylight hunting animals with slit pupils so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: